Low FPS - Limited by RdrThread?

Im struggling with low FPS but my GPU and CPU dont seem to being anywhere near fully utilised.

Im at 10-15 FPS, but NZXTcam reports my CPU at 20% and my GPU only 7%, so I cant understand why.

The frame rate monitor keeps telling me Im limited by RdrThread, any suggestions what is causing the issue and how to fix it?

Ive tried using low settings, and optimal settings via nVidia experience, but its still the same.

Im running an intel i9 9900K and RTX2080Ti with the latest drivers, so Im sure I should be getting better than this, its pretty much unplayable.!

Also, looking at the task manager, it shows GPU engine as GPU 0 - Copy, whereas other programs such as Chrome are using GPU 0 - 3D - I think this might be the issu, but I have no idea how to change it?

I am not a super expert on computers, but trust me – I have an i9-9900k, 32gb RAM, RTX 3080, SSD, etc.
I’ve never struggled with FPS until this last patch… and then a stranger provided me these tips and I followed each one and now I’m back to my normal FPS.

Performance drop 15-20% after update 3 - Bugs & Issues / Performance, Graphics & CTDs - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

2 Likes

The FPS counter is broken. It won’t go below 10 FPS. It looks like you’re getting about 5.4 FPS. Not sure why though.

In another thread it has been found that spikes and drops have been caused by Developer Mode. Dev Mode is an extension of the SDK. We know the SDK has issues. Try a different monitor and shut down developer mode. For a quick check win key + G will bring up the xbox screen and will show your FPS.

I may have wrong but be sure the RTX2080TI is the one you are using, and not the integrated GPU from the CPU. Check in NVidia Control panel and set power to maximum, and double-check in Windows settings->Game Mode->Graphics settings, and add Flight Simulator here with Max performance settings.

I just started having this problem today, I have this issue in RUST and in FS2020 and the games are now unplayable. All my other games work fine. Was gaming yesterday and no problems, today with no changes its bad. Did you figure this out? I’ve tried rebooting, reinstalling steam, geforce drivers, reinstalled the games, nowI’m about to format my computer. i78700k rtx3080.

Hi there,
Did you find a solution? I started experiencing the same problem after update 6 about a week ago. I tried EVERYTHING, even an update to Windows 11 and a complete deletion and reinstall of MSFS2020 (Steam version). I am stuck in the menu with a FPS on 2.0 “Limited by RdRThread PC”. Before update 6 I had FPS of 25-30 in High-end setting.

Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 32 GB ram and RX 5700 XT 8 GB GPU

Hey, same guy as above dif acct. so I ended up formatting my computer and it worked again. I tried everything. The only thing I think it could have been was maybe a glitch on Asus GPU tweak or MSI afterburner. I first tried reinstalling games, reinstalling steam, reinstalling drivers, reinstalling pretty much everything and it didn’t do the trick so I was given no choice but to format. The only thing I suspect was that for some reason overclock settings were getting flipped back in just MSFS and Rust to my mining settings, so low voltage low gpu clock and high memory clock.

Blockquote
Hi there,
Did you find a solution? I started experiencing the same problem after update 6 about a week ago. I tried EVERYTHING, even an update to Windows 11 and a complete deletion and reinstall of MSFS2020 (Steam version). I am stuck in the menu with a FPS on 2.0 “Limited by RdRThread PC”. Before update 6 I had FPS of 25-30 in High-end setting.
Blockquote
Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 32 GB ram and RX 5700 XT 8 GB GPU

Hi kholt17,
I think I had the same problem, having quite similar hardware. Although 2 FPS was just the display of the developer statistics display. It felt like less then 1 FPS and the RdrThread had a time over 1 second. The menu was barely usable.
I tested all kind of things. The second to last step was doing everything from this reply to “Loading/Accessibility issue”.
The last step was to uninstall something that was update prior to my problems: Citrix Workspace. And voila everything is back to normal.
As my wife needs the Citrix workspace from tome to time I will have to find a general solution. But for now I´ll jump in the cockpit and enjoy some time not sitting frustrated in front of the computer…

2 Likes

TheMarvinX,

I cannot thank you enough for your post!!!
I have been suffering 2fps and limited by rdrthread a few weeks after SU6 as well.
I have tried many hours of troubleshooting the problem, updating/reinstalling the graphics driver, tweaking MSFS graphics settings, removing files from my community folder, multiple re-installations of MSFS2020, upgraded to Windows 11 all to no avail!

I uninstall citrix and boom!
Problem solved!!!

1 Like

Just a suggestion for your problem that turned up when fixing the former problem.
Im not sure if this is possible but,
Is it not possible for this particular problem to make another Windows user profile for your wife to use when she needs Citrix workspace and Citrix can only use to that one particular user.

I think it is.
My wife already had her own account on my machine, but Citrix was installed for all users. I now installed it on her account and MSFS still does work on mine. :slightly_smiling_face:

@Tanqueray1970 : you’re welcome. :slightly_smiling_face:

Uninstalling Citrix workspace solved the sticky problem for me as well! Hope the developers take measures to prevent this weird incompatibility.

Just did a clean install of windows 11, having issues with RDR thread.
Had no issues before. Im running a 2080 Super and frames vary from aircraft to aircraft. Sitting around 12fps whilst before i havd around 30 on ground and 40-60 in air.

Delete and/or disable the rolling cache and disable HPET if you have a Ryzen CPU. Don’t use DirectX 12.

Failing that, you should probably create your own topic in the support section and give full system specs. This topic only has 5 votes in more than a year (and it has been 7 months since the last post) so it’s not a bug most people encounter.

Dealing with the same for the last few weeks. Works fine on ultra settings with upscaling to 125, until i try to move the mouse. then drops to below 10fps and the gpu utilization in Afterburner shows drops to 0; RDRthread goes to over 200ms. nothing i tried so far helped. if the game is played single-frame so to say, it is fluid. if you want to move the screen and look around - unplayable. i am running ryzen 5950x and a evga 3090 - not overheating and all other games i play are fine on ultra settings.

For anyone still having this issue even without the above mentioned Citrix workstation, look in your Nvidia control panel for an FXAA antialiasing setting and make sure it’s turned off. I just helped another user with the same issue and that was the culprit, so I searched for the same rdr thread limited problem in Google and found others that solved it this way too.