Low FPS, This is my laptop fault or the sim fault?

Could everyone explain what is happen?

spec:
Zephyrus G15 (2021), Ryzen 9 5900HS, RTX 3060 6gb, 16gb ram dual channel, ssd nvme

I’m using custom preset in my in game graphic setting.

And the result like this, look at point 3 in every images, i have capacity more than the game needs:

Also in my task manager, looks like this:

Click on performance tab in task manager then check if one core is maxed out from the CPU and at what frequency the CPU is running at.

You can also open the resource monitor (at the bottom in task manager) which will give you more details over memory and page file usage. 16GB is rather low. The game allocates a lot more than what it shows and task manager only shows ‘active memory’. Yet all the extra allocated memory gets pages and swapped back to active memory when needed which creates hard faults. If FS2020 is creating a lot of hard faults performance will suffer.

However 36 fps isn’t bad with a 3 ghz cpu. The game isn’t well optimized.

1 Like

But from the 3 images above, red circle point 3, it’s written my capacity is enough than the game needs.

For your info: i’m not maxing the graphic setting, i’m using my own custom graphic preset.

Will check later

Yes, but it allocates more than it says there. The resource monitor shows the total amount the game has comited, task manager and the game only report working set.

What custom graphic settings? Does it run better at default high settings?

I see, will check this too later

I mean i’m using ultra but with some sub in game graphic setting i sett to high/off. So the graphic settings become written as “CUSTOM”

Some things aren’t worth to go to Ultra for, and depending on location texture synthesis and texture supersampling can be demanding (when terrain has to be generated)

Also I see you have render scale lower than 100 in one shot, no need for that. I render at 1620p (render scale 150) on a 1080p screen with a GTX 1060. The GPU has plenty room to render more pixels and the sim generally runs more stable if you get it to be GPU limited (only just, switching between cpu and gpu limited)

You can probably run fine while rendering at 4K and down sampling to 1440p (150% render scale) without any change in fps.

you’re right, when i compare 100% and 80% render, it have no different result.

you mean this normal?

so this is normal or not?

so what is happen here?
i saw 0 hard fault here, and the capacity used is enough right? there is also available memory space left hmm:

I have a machine somewhat similar to yours (laptop, 2060 max-q, i7-10750h, 32gb ram) and I very very often see over 25gb of total ram usage (with no background tasks) using a slightly modified high preset at 1440p and 4k. Your performance is pretty much what I get, perhaps a touch lower, but you honestly probably can’t get much more on mobile. I’ll set my machine to the straight high-preset at 1440p without renderscaling and give you some numbers. What airport are you at btw?

eh really? 25gb used?
in my resource monitor screenshot my memory usage much lower than yours.
hmm.

also from what i know max-q version is downgraded power version of gpu.

1 Like

soekarno hatta intl. airport, jakarta, indonesia

Yep, am aware of that, it’s a lower tdp model tho I have it clocked up a bit (I may try matching a 2060max-p at some point). Most of my issues are cpu main thread related

from my screenshots above, could you explain what is my issues?

Unfortunately that is normal (for now). One core maxed, the rest not doing much. The only way to get better performance at the moment is to get a faster CPU (5ghz+) or reduce the render distance (terrain detail). Hopefully the optimizations for XBox and the move to DX12 will make it less dependent on a single core.

There are some hard faults happening in the graph and you are right on the edge already without flying. A memory upgrade to 32GB will help (it did for me) although don’t expect miracles (just smoother performance, less prone to micro stutters) Faster ram helps as well but I couldn’t find any (shortages ugh)

39 fps is good though, I’m stuck below 30 with my 2.2 ghz cpu.

Memory usage varies a lot while flying. While you are OK there (just) it can easily go up to 30GB over dense photogrammetry areas. I’m generally in the 17 to 19 GB in use range while flying, and a bit over 20 GB in PG areas. It used to be more, the most I’ve seen the sim allocated was 41GB on my system before it crashed.

I’m afraid you don’t have an issue, the game has issues… What it wants now is raw cpu speed (more cores don’t matter), fast ram and lots of it. Asobo has been working on the memory issues to get it on XBox, but I don’t think the CPU optimizations have made it back yet.

3 Likes

Hmm I think you maybe limited by memory to some extent. I was trying to get my sim mainstream limited and even at 720p I’m at 11gb system memory and 5gb vram.

Edit: just saw @SvenZ reply, he’s spot on. This game is incredibly main thread limited, and even with a 5900hs or a 10750h (vaguely comparable single core, tho I think the 10750 in this instance may edge out the 5900hs simply because it can boost higher even if it had much lower ipc) you’ll run into main thread issues. Also like he said, this game loves VRAM and RAM, so you may be limited by both since Nvidia refuses to make a 12gb version of the 3060 mobile