Low specs experience

Excellent questions - both.

1. No, I did not overclock the monitor or anything else, for that matter.

However, after further review I noticed that it is my motherboard’s default display adapter - the Intel Graphics HD 630 that permitted selection from multiple optional vertical refresh rates, the highest being the 74.9HZ. I have not found how to determine what it is on the GTX 1050ti GPU. I suspect that it is probably 60HZ - the hardware rating of the Dell 2717H/HX monitor. It seems to me now that the 74.9HZ might possibly be bogus, even for the Intel HD 630, unless it is actually possible to overclock this low-end Dell monitor.

At any rate, I am going to put the Intel HD 630 back to 60HZ, since that is what the monitor is rated for out of the box. I am not experienced enough to delve into the realm of overclocking!

1. I am running the latest Nvidia driver for the GTX 1050ti - 465.89. Again, all options are set to default.

UPDATE!!:
Well, greasy lizards and horny toads, that vertical refresh rate (VRF) setting on the Intel HD 630 must also effect the GTX 1050ti!

After I switched it from 74.9HZ back down to 60HZ my FPS dropped from 25 to 20.
I think I could also see the visual difference in my test flight - more jittery (flickering), still no stutters though. Wouldn’t swear to it, as so much of this is quite subjective…

Nevertheless, I would recommend to anyone with this capability to try boosting their VRF up to 75 (74.9)HZ. It makes a definite difference in the displayed FPS. I’ll leave it to the flyers to decide whether there is an actual noticeable improvement in performance.

2 Likes

I just knocked together a little low-spec sample video to demonstrate what I typically get out of my system.

It’s only about 5 minutes long, a Robin low-altitude circuit around Ford Island, Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.

I apologize for the horrible camera work!
I am only now beginning to experiment a little with the MSFS drone camera.

Please feel free if you have any questions regarding specific details about my low-spec system/configuration.

Regarding this video, I noticed that it appears to have some minor stuttering when viewing directly in the Google Drive viewer. I assure you that the original clip has zero stutters. If you are willing to download it and view it directly in your own system’s video player, you should not see any stuttering at all… only the minor 25FPS frame rate flickers.

1 Like

Give this a read. You can get access to your FS.exe.

1 Like

Would you mind sharing your current in-game settings?

They actually haven’t changed from these:

1 Like

Got it mate! Again, thanks a lot.
I thought you had different settings from the last one you shared that time.
Looking good though, my settings are pretty much the same as yours. Maybe I should try to limiting my FPS to 20 (frame rate limit) with the v-sync. I have it limited to 30 fps (in-game settings).
Do you think I can improve my gameplay if I set to 20 fps?

ADVANCED SETTINGS

• V-SYNC < ON >
  • FRAME RATE LIMIT < 20 FPS >

Thanks in advance.

Glad it was helpfull!

Dropping your FPS limit to 20 could lead to a reduction of any remaining stuttering that you notice, BUT at the cost of some increased flickering/jittering - more visually perceptible frame changing particularly for the terrain movement that is closest to the camera.

Worth a try, though. You can easily switch it back if you don’t like it.

You might also want to check the Vertical Refresh Rate of your monitor. My low-spec Dell is able to support 75Hz. which somehow gives me an extra 5FPS. Even though I have my MSFS FPS set to 20FPS I am actually getting 25FPS.

1 Like

I’ve got another question if you can help me out please.
The water itself, any body of water looks AWFUL to me. Any idea of what can I change in my settings to improve this? It looks oily, no details at all. I think It has something to do with the “texture resolution” (in my case is set to LOW but still, it can’t look that bad ?) or what should I change in my settings?

Sorry, I actually haven’t been paying much attention to the quality of the waves.
It’s quite apparent that this has been an area of contention for many others during the various updates.

I’m pretty sure that this is probably on the “to-do” list of improvements that Asobo/MS will get to eventually.

@TallestParsley2 What are your temps when playing FS?

Laptops are limited in cooling and tend to run hotter than desktop PCs.

I’ve had a look at your CPU specs. It might be worth trying to undervolt it, in order to prevent it from throttling itself. This does sound like you would decrease performance, but the opposite is true. As your CPU is a HQ model, you won’t be able to overclock it. So undervolting is an option to safely squeeze some extra performance out of it.

I’ll link a YouTube video that explains it for your very CPU model in detail (don’t mind the side comments the guy makes in his video, the instructions are clear though):

Give it a try, would be great to know what this yields for your system performance.

1 Like

Been busy this morning disentangling myself from all of the other threads I’ve been following. Just too many “Type A’s” for me…
Luckily I spotted your post.
Thanks for your suggestion.

I must confess that I know little to nothing about CPU/GPU tweaking.
Some time ago - like last Sept, I tried out something similar called QuickCPU with all of its default settings. I did notice a significant increase in my CPU temps at the time, so I uninstalled it.

I viewed your linked video clip at this still early hour here in Hawaii. This fellow’s procedures all seem quite doable. After I’ve woken up a little more, I’ll give them a whirl and let you know the results.

Thanks again!

1 Like

Aloha! You’re very welcome :wink:

1 Like

Ok, I gave it a try and bottom-line - I didn’t really see a significant difference either subjectively or by looking at the data.

I suspect that I have probably already wrung-out just about all the performance I can from my low-spec hardware!

With undervolting applied, I tried increasing my MSFS VSYNC’ed FPS Limit from 20-30, effectively 25-35 FPS with my monitor’s 75HZ vert. refresh rate. Stuttering returned. GPU load was locked at 100% throughout 99% of the flight.

Dropped back to 20 FPS, stuttering disappeared and GPU never exceeded 83%.

You asked for temps, so I jotted a few of them down to pass along to you.

Idle, no undervolting: MSFS not loaded/running - 37C, 43C max
MSFS running - 64C, 74C max

Undervolting applied, MSFS running - 63, 73 max

After some careful testing I finally undervolted as much as the program would allow for both CPU and Cache, -125mv.

So, some disappointment still, but I never really expected to get blood out of a stone. :wink:

Just an additional comment that hopefully won’t get me accused of going off topic.
With the latest update this week, I noticed that the developers DID seem to de-tune Photogrammetry for London City, my primary test-bed for flight tuning.

It looks much better to me, -no pyramids but possibly more auto-gen then others will probably like.

I also noticed that my WACO is no longer squirrely acting on the runway. Don’t know if that was a Carenado or ASOBO/MS tweak, but VERY appreciated!

Thanks again for your interest!

1 Like

Thanks for the thorough test report. :+1:

Your temps indeed look alright, with and without the undervolting applied. So that explains why it’s not making that much of a difference.

I’ve had a go with the graphics settings in FS with World Update IV installed. The highest impact on frame rate has the “Terrain Level of Detail” and “Texture Resolution”.

Basically, Terrain LOD is obvious, as it defines the fidelity of the terrain. The higher the setting, the more the CPU and GPU have to process each frame.

The Texture Resolution on the other hand depends on the available amount of VRAM of your GPU and somewhat the amount of RAM. Like with the new RTX 3090s you can bump it up all the way, as those cards got roughly 24GB with the new GDDR6X RAM, which is a lot faster and bigger than on e.g. the GTX1050ti. That card is alright for 1080p, the new gen cards are for 2K resolutions and upwards, oriented towards processing 8K textures. Hence the big increase in speed and size. System RAM is part of a smooth experience as well. FS2020 allocates ram for game related data and textures. So 16GB of RAM or higher is recommended. Speed and latency do matter, however a good GPU is always more important.

Regarding my findings with the in-game VSYNC, I noticed on a 60Hz monitor with a PC with similar specs as yours, that when VSYNC is turned on, a frame rate limit of 30 yields the best results for the GPU. 20 bogged down the performance, so did 60 as the frame rate was not consistent enough to keep it above 60. The dips below 60 made the sim stutter. I then turned off the in-game VSYNC and tried all possible settings in the Nvidia Control Panel. Best results yield the “Fast” setting and no FPS limit set. It’s basically the same as turning VSYNC off, but frames in excess of the monitor refresh rate are dropped. So no tearing and less stress for the GPU, equals a smoother sim experience and less heat (if the game settings are tuned properly).

Turns out that VSYNC itself may cause stutters, compared to turning it off or setting it on fast. Same with limiting the frame rate.

All in all it comes down to the following settings which need to be adjusted, in order to fine tune the FPS and reduce the load on the hardware (for low to mid range PCs):

• VSYNC:
    “Off” in game, set “Vertical sync” to “Fast” in Nvidia Control Panel.
    However, this is not set into stone, as every system reacts differently on this setting.

• Render Scaling:
    <= 100, preferably 90 with Image Sharpening enabled in Nvidia Control Panel

• Terrain Level of Detail (has most noticeable impact on performance):
    <= 70, anything higher really strain the CPU and GPU.
    Lower than 30 makes the sim look more like FSX.

• Trees & Grass and Bushes:
    Medium, on real low end, set grass to low

• Objects Level of Detail:
    <= 50, preferably 30

• Volumetric Clouds (also taxing on higher setting):
    Medium, High is possible, but requires other settings to be dialed down

• Texture Resolution (depends on available VRAM):
    Medium

• Texture Supersampling (high settings are taxing the CPU):
    best is off, 2x2 is possible

• Shadow Maps (depends on available VRAM):

• Terrain Shadows (really a performance killer):
    Off

• Contact Shadows:
    Low or Off

• Ambient Occlusion (high settings are taxing the CPU):
    Low. “Off” makes most cockpits look pale.

• Reflections:
    Not higher than Medium

• Glass Cockpit Refresh Rate (high settings are taxing the CPU):
    Not higher than Medium

­
All other settings are not as heavy on the system and are a matter of preference. Also “Anisotropic Filtering” does not affect performance, so 16x is recommended.

Asobo and the 3rd Party Developers are constantly improving the sim. So things keep changing a lot, which requires to test settings after every major update.

But these are my current recommendations on the game settings when running FS2020 on a low to mid range spec PC.

4 Likes

Aloha!

This is all much more than I can truly absorb at 0340 AM.
I am looking forward to some serious testing after I get back from early morning walk.

Thanks for all your feedback!

Will update you with results, afterwards.

I have finished testing the recommended settings posted above by “AmbitiousPilots” on my low-end system.

Although I did not have any success with the VSYNC recommendations, the final result was a significant improvement in my graphics without any increase/decrease to my FPS.

V-Sync: On
Frame Rate Limit: 20
Render Scaling: 80
Anti-Aliasing:TAA
Terrain Level of Detail: 40
Terrain Vector Data: off
Buildings, trees, grass & bushes: medium
Objects Level of Detail: 20
Volumetric Clouds: low
Texture Resolution: High
Anistropic Filtering: 16X
Texture Supersampling: 4x4
Texture Synthesis: Ultra
Water Waves: low
Shadow Maps:768
Terrain & Contact Shadows: off
Windshield Effects: low
Everything else except Glass Cockpit: off
Glass Cockpit Refresh Rate: Medium

I have included a screen capture shortly after take-off from London City Airport. It shows a straight-solid horizontal line for FPS for 60 seconds.

I have found that whenever that line deviates as little as 1 FPS, it was preceded by a stutter. Typically the GPU is also showing 100% for a period of time leading up to that stutter.

Thanks again for all of your help, “AmbitiousPilots”!

2 Likes

Wonderful!!

1 Like

Very helpful information!! Thanks for your report.
Going back to this thingy that has been annoying me.
Any idea if that “oily” water looking, low detailed “texture” (?) issue has something to do with the “Texture Resolution” or the “Terrain LOD”??
My gameplay is looking great overall, pretty decent quality and performance, going fluid almost no stuttering, the only thing I’m still missing and I would like to improve is the water, any body of water itself looking awful I’d say.
I’ve read another post someone complaining about the water issue too. I know with my “low-end” pc I might not be expecting some outstanding experience but this is comparison with other details and terrain is quite disappointing. Any thoughts about how to improve this? Without unbalancing the rest I have achieved.

Sorry, I haven’t any idea how to get better water textures. It seems to be an open issue…

FS looking great here for now, thanks for your help TallestParsley2, AmbitiousPilots and to all of you who have replied. I hope we keep updating this post with new settings and tips to have from a decent to a wonderful experience with our specs with the passing of time (future updates etc,.)
I have one more question to any of you or someone who can help.
Any idea of why I’m missing the ‘Max Frame Rate’ feature in the Nvidia Control Panel tab list? I’ve checked it also in “Global Settings” but I’m not finding it.

PS: Drive Version 432.00

1 Like