MAGNETO un-commanded return to BOTH after a few seconds using event SDK (Air Manager)

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

Yes

Brief description of the issue:

When sending event from Air Manager "MAGNETO_START" the magneto in any aircraft (172, just Flight PA28 tested) only stays in the START position for a few seconds before an un-commanded return to the BOTH position.
This is silly as on some aircraft it is not long enough to start the engine…

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

In Air manager,
Download the “Magneto switch Cessna 172” from Sim Innovations in the hardware functions.
Connect to FS2020 and press run.
Once in the aircraft slide the slider across to 4 (start). You will see that MSFS2020 will automatically switch back to BOTH by it’s self after a few seconds.

IF if you know how, just use the SDK to send the "MAGNETO_START" event. It also happens when sending "MAGNETO1_SET", 4.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Air Manager installed on PC

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

1 Like

What aircraft specifically does not start with it how it currently is?

Stone old problem is MSFS, the mag switch must not depart „start“ on its own just because a certain time has passed but it does. It‘s no problem in default aircraft with no simulation behind the switch but every aircraft that simulates a correct engine start procedure suffers from it. As long as the switch is held to the start position it must stay there without twitching and returning, but it doesn‘t. Unsolved bug since release.

1 Like

Justflight’s PA-28 Warrior II, as it has detailed simulation of all engine functions.

I also tried on the default cessna 172, and does not start engine either, but that may be due to yet another bug where you cannot switch the fuel selector tank from left to both.

I can’t comment about the warrior as I don’t have it. Could it be that JF are using something custom for the start? If so you could give that a go. The default C172 starts just fine though with an Air Manager ignition key. I’m not sure what you mean by fuel selector bug as again I have no issues selecting all 3 positions on the fuel selector using AM again.

Moved to #third-party-addon-discussion:tools-utilities as Air Manager is not stock sim. Report only stock sim issues in #bugs-and-issues please. All others go elsewhere.

@CasualClick this is actually a bug in MSFS. Apparently it’s been unsolved since FSX and is still unsolved in Prepar3D.
Air manager is just the easy method to send SDK events.

The switch should NOT return to both if a start event is sent with no following both event. It just magically moves by its self.

This is like saying a server on a website has an issue but because most users can only see bug via browser the dev just palms it off as a browser bug. But you could reproduce bug via other method such as curl command etc. Likewise you could just send a raw event to MSFS and see the bug, no third party apps.

Again, this is definitely a MSFS bug, not a third party caused bug. To fix it it requires action from MSFS2020 Devs.

It’s probably better to post this at

where the Dev Team might directly respond to you.

Does the event sent from Air Manager differentiate between pressing vs holding the start position? Because what it sounds like is the sim is just receiving a “press” to move the mag to Start, with no further input “hold” it at start, the mag spring loads back to both as it should.

I don’t think you can call this a bug but rather a feature. Meaning it’s working as intended. It’s just the intended operation bit that is incorrect. Primarily because they just did the same as FSX.

If you „hold“ it it will twitch to off momentarily and return to start. But this will disrupt the process.

2 Likes

Air manager just uses the events api, see here: Aircraft Engine Events
Under engine events, scroll to MAGNETO. There are a bunch of ways to call it, however there is no ‘hold’ event.

If you ment hold as in just send the same one many times, then no, as @Ephedrin87 rin87 said " it will twitch to off momentarily and return to start. But this will disrupt the process."

Thanks, added as an idea here: Remove magneto starter key-switch timeout for home cockpit builders using key-switches - MSFS DevSupport

@CasualClick can we move this back to bug for more visibility? It has had no traction on the other site.

I still think it needs to be fixed.

An event sent via SDK to START, is not start, then go back after 3 seconds.
If I wanted to do that I would send the start event then both event 3 seconds later…

@samburner23 I’m on the road, but my fellow Mods reviewed this and they tell me Sim Innovations needs to post this issue on the DevSupport page.

To the mods who suggested this. This is not a Sim Innovations issue it will also happen with Spad.next, Axis & Ohs, FSUIPC7 and using sim connect directly etc. It’s a MSFS sim issue and has nothing to do with third party software. This point has already been made in this thread.

1 Like

Correct. It’s any 3RDP Developer that uses this from the SDK.

As pointed out by @CasualClick, the SDK team does not monitor this forum and correctly pointed what forum to post on. Developers have higher chances of this getting fixed rather us end users. This is why @CasualClick pointed for Sim Innovations to create the SDK posting on the dev support website.

I get it but this is a Microsoft forum and not a Sim Innovations forum so if they also don’t see this the users are left in limbo. A user reported it here and in my mind that should be enough considering we are told in the dev streams that these forums are monitored by the MSFS devs. If as you say the SDK team specifically are not monitoring these forums then they should be because its not just devs that use the SDK.

Just my thoughts.

1 Like

Hello @Sling380,
In the past, the forum was used for SDK bugs/issues/wishes. This was changed a long time ago when the SDK started expanding and the SDK team created the answerhub website. All SDK issues/bugs and wishes now go to https://devsupport.flightsimulator.com The SDK section on this forum for bugs/issues/wishes was then removed.

Users may post on this forum, but it will not be seen by the SDK team. These may be reported to the dev that makes these addons and they in turn can report to the SDK team. If @samburner23 does this, I would make a reference to the topic that they already posted on the devsupport website so that it can be added to it.

Added a new question in the SDK answerhub website: [BUG] MAGNETO un-commanded return to BOTH after a few seconds using event SDK - MSFS DevSupport

Just flight support ticket: https://support.justflight.com/support/tickets/73249

AM Forum issue dicussion: MSFS2020 Magneto Starter Timeout bug? - Sim Innovations Forums

Just flight support has said as a workaround to send a LVAR that is local to the add-on plane, however AM is not able to send LVAR’s at this time, asked about that here: MSFS2020 Lvar write? - Sim Innovations Forums