Major issues with turbulence - seriously unrealistic!

I’m not sure if asobos take on it is that they hyped up the weather so much they can’t back track for fear of a consumer backlash. There’s so much knowledge in the flight sim world, need to embrace it.

Not sure if I could handle ezdok in vr but I’d still give it a go!!

Do a Kingston to south coast of Cuba to Bahamas run anytime in June …strong stomach required.

2 Likes

Easy now! :smile:

If they can come up with some kind of (optional!) visual help to show inexperienced pilots why they’re suddenly loosing or gaining height or why the plane is so difficult to control, then I’m all for it. In particular if this means we can have realistic turbulence.

I don’t understand the prevailing attitude that flight simulation should only be targeted at experienced simmers. We were all new to this at some point.

I think the point you are missing is that, if you want to experience a simulation of flight, it should seem real. When I first learned to fly, (was “new” to flying at that point), nobody turned down the difficulty to make it easier. Flying is what it is. If you are new, then you need to experience what it is really like. That becomes the challenge.

I am all for allowing “assists” and having the ability to adjust the difficulty when you are learning, but there needs to be a “full realism” setting as well. Not a “beginner” mode enforced on everyone.

7 Likes

I agree with this, the base core foundation should be aiming for full realism. That means the wind modelling needs to be as realistic as possible as the base foundation of the code.

Then we dial things on the Assist settings, like simply having 3 settings for Wind Realism as “Realistic, Medium, and Easy”. Where Easy should be a simple straight wind modelling and constant no gust for each of the weather “blocks”.

That way, the simulation engine still uses the realistic weather model and flight dynamics as a core, but there’s still an option for beginners to start learning to fly in a much more control and stable environment to mute those effects.

8 Likes

We agree 100%. I don’t know what you think I’m missing.

My post was in response to outrage that Asobo were even considering an way to make it easier for newbies to understand what was going on. I only explained that I would welcome it as an option so the rest of us we could have max realism.

1 Like

Critical mass for sales is already passed on PC. They need to get that on XBOX now and make as much money as possible. That’s why the main focus right now is on all things XBOX (and DX12 for PC as a side effect) and more “gamey” aspects to appeal to the mass public. That’s why more hardcore simmer / PC-centric features (like multiple monitor support) are on the back burner until next year. This isn’t by accident. It’s by design.

Once that’s over with (another year or so), the demographic that will be keeping MSFS alive for the rest of its life cycle will be mostly PC simmers vs XBOX gamers (although some simmers who can’t afford high end PCs will definitely be using XBOX long-term). You can bet at that point, the old “sim for simmers” mantra that was touted so many times in the year before launch will be back in force.

To be clear, I’m not slagging Microsobo for this. They don’t do thing for US. They do things that will maximize their profits. It’s how business works.

3 Likes

Yeah, I get it, but what prevented them from creating settings. If you want the sim, you get the sim, if you want arcade, you get arcade. That’s how it works in previous sims.

3 Likes

Yup. You’ll get no argument from me on that.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the invaluable feedback and discussion, I’ve tried to summarize the related observations. I hope we manage to get concrete response and planned resolution from the developers.

Sim update 4 - weather effect on aerodynamics:

• Ridge lift - exists
  • Turbulence doesn’t impact pitch and roll axises, highly unrealistic
  • Thermals - exists but only relatively close to the ground. Also, not as strong as IRL .
  • Thermals “Albedo” effect is still not implemented ( per developers, to be implemented in the future)
  • Turbulence in clear air and in clouds (SU4) - severely limited and weak
  • Updraft/downdraft velocity - limited to 1000ft/min ( per developers )
  • Gusts are totally broken…

Anything else missing to a “TLDR” summary?

5 Likes

I actually doubt vertical drafts exist at all. Will submit a bug report with the link to this thread later today. Developers may think that this is a features request, but considering what they promised (a realistic flight simulator with realistic weather effects), this is a BUG.

1 Like

I would go further with turbulence, I’ve tried in a number of live weather situation and can’t get any noticeable turbulence effect.

3 Likes

Very interesting discussion and some very good points made in this thread.

I agree that turbulence and other weather effects should not be reduced to make the sim easier to fly.

I have seen two different links for votes here in this thread (and voted), but both of these threads do not explain clearly enough what kind of change would be warranted.

Maybe the OP of this thread, MarinaraTrain42, or someone else who has time to stay with the issue can make a polite, but clear worded VOTE thread with description of the problem as well as the envisioned solution?

Personally I have had very positive experience with some of my problems with the sim actually getting solved due to strong votes on those issues. So my guess is it would be the same with this issue if enough votes are collected.

2 Likes

Splitting the vote does not seem a good idea to me. As they count all these things separately (vertical airflow is now #7 and #10 and some lower rank). Please vote the existing wishlist topics when the subject is the same, or closely related.

The most recent with a LOT of votes is Homieffm’s topic,

… and the big one is

2 Likes

Good point, but I think the existing VOTE threads are not clear enough on the issue. (No offense intended towards the OPs of those threads)

No wind gusts regardless of how I set gust sliders. No data displayed in the “Wind Graph”

If I was Asobo I would see this as fixed when the gusts are shown in the wind graph.

Almost nonexistent turbulence within storm clouds?

This thread is not about turbulence in general, but about turbulence specifically in clouds.

As far as I understand, what we would want is not a better wind graph display, nor is it only fixing the amount of turbulence in clouds.

Instead what is experienced is a generally too weak effect of turbulence and drafts on the airplane - in the air as well as on the ground. The whish would be to have those simulated as realistically as possible without decreasing the effects of turbulence or drafts to make the sim easier to fly.

Maybe I missed a VOTE thread that clearly states this - if yes please point me to it - or it does not exist yet. If it does not exist yet, might make sense if it was created.

Well, this one you mentioned:

Thermals, Up&Downdrafts - Realism update needed!

seems to be pretty close on the issue.

1 Like

That tone is (was) because I advocate the subject very often… and very persistent. I want to fly sailplanes and I want to have turbulence and I want a control for it. I want it all. And that’s why I will always fight any sidelinks. This Wishlist thing is a ranking. In preparation of the updates, Asobo/MS make a top 24 of wishes, see the blogs of @Jummivana,

At first, I criticized Homie’s topic as well, but because there is so much interesting to read there, it could become the future topic. But I really hate this selection process, for this reason… Don’t see it as a personal attack, I just want to discourage posting too many different links to different wishes. That won’t help. In fact… better find them all… and vote for all… but there the forum vote limit comes in. You have only a limited count of votes.

Good info that everyone only has a limited amount of votes. Did not know this.

So if we were to recommend one thread to vote on this issue it would be Thermals, Up&Downdrafts - Realism update needed! I guess… - So here goes another one of my votes :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks for linking and voting for this topic! :slight_smile:
The up&down draft limitation is the reason you almost got no turbulences and no dangerous weather situations you would encounter in real life, so that’s the right wishlist thread to vote for.

Votes are ‘‘limited’’ , but everybody has 10.000, so no real reason to hold back :wink:

Yes, and they do that by making something gorgeous, entertaining and educational for us. That’s great business and there’s nothing wrong with that.

We really need to stop referring to the turbulence encountered in the sim as “Severe”. The level of turbulence encountered in the sim is a long way from severe. Let’s implement the same criteria real pilots use to report turbulence in a PIREP. Keep in mind that it is important to indicate the aircraft as well as the conditions as light turbulence in an airliner feels very different in a 152.

Incorrect categorization of intensity is how we ended up with reduced turbulence effects in the first place. Non pilots need to be made aware that real turbulence, even light or moderate is a lot more pronounced than they think.

The turbulence depicted in the video is “Occasional Moderate” at best.

6 Likes