- weather / cloud based up and downdrafts are missing
(which were promised in the first aerodynamics feature discovery video)
- terrain based drafts are working, but they are limited (Asobo says: max peak 1000 fpm)
- thermals are missing
Currently there are no improvements/implementations planned, probably until next year, when they start working on gliders (they are confirmed for 2022).
Asobo interview statement about up and down drafts:
…as this is something that was really new,
there’s just a limit to the effect
so in video I showed it can build up to 1000 feet per minute.
if you look at some extreme weather on the internet you can see that updrafts they can
reach 10,000 feet per minute
so we have limited it, but when we get better we will unlock this further.
But currently if you start with a light plane and you get a 10000 feet per minute updraft
you would just not understand what is going on, it would look like a leaf.
this is something which we keep improving but also I think we need to add more systems
where people will understand why they’re just getting shaking around.
One thing we were doing during the alpha is that this was much stronger
I think updrafts were limited to 4 or 5 thousand and some people didn’t understand
why on final they were just going upwards and it’s because they were on a hill and
the wind was blowing them.
- please make the strong/realistic up/down drafts and thermals at least optional possible (specially for the 3rd party gliders)
- thermals are not noticeable = doesn’t even exist (?)
- Vario and Altimeter are enough ‘‘visualizations’’ to understand up&downdrafts, everything else is a nice bonus, but not essential
- just because some people didn’t understand certain weather conditions, doesn’t mean everybody doesn’t understand it + a lot of people now missing the realism
- with the limit you introduced the problem of an unrealistic arcade feeling
- very weak up to no turbulences
- weather/ wind doesn’t play any role, you can fly through any cumulus cloud/ storm with the lightest airplane, while in reality it would blow you away
Don’t forget the true simmers, please give us the option for more realism, the community would be thankful.