Turbulence in clouds/CBs + up-/downdrafts

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and add-ons?

Yes

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

Yes-fps, weather debug.

Brief description of the issue:

Still no turbulence in (severe) clouds. Found a storm outside the Phillipines. Took my mighty C152. There was a constant updraft, and I could climb with 2500ft/m constantly and steadily.
Problems:

• Absolutely no turbulence in this severe storm. Wings level all the time - no roll movement at all. Ie no problem to fly a C152 into CBs, storms.
  • Constant steady updraft all the time. Did not experience downdrafts (flew around the storm for 30m). Drafts seem too steady and in a too wide area. More variation in draft speed and direction needed.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Provide coordinates (DevMode > Options > Display position)

Provide time & date of the observed Weather issue

16okt 0000Z N of Phillipines.

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Not time to try much. But this lack if turbulence and ‘severe’ WX effects is one of the things that dumbs down Msfs imho. You can take any AC into any kind of WX without any problems.
Turbulence is mentioned in: (Thermals, Up & Downdrafts - Realism Update/ Airmass Simulation)
the thread that Beta-notes point to. But Im not seeing it in clouds (yes we have gusts + mechanical turbulence).
If someone with some time could check more it would be appreciated (lack of time here).

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

2 Likes

Also this thread could be relevant for this, which is focusing more on these advanced physics:

Realistic Dangerous Weather - Physics Simulation

4 Likes

Topic moved into beta General Discussion.

I agree, this should be fixed.

Totally agree with you and I would love to have it implemented now but I think it is not a bug or a miss in SU11. Improvements related to turbulence and up/downdrafts are based on terrain obstacles and surface types to generate proper air movements and mainly aimed for gliders. turbulence in clouds have a different logic and hopefully the specific topic HomieFFM created for that will be attended in a future Sim Update.

1 Like

Yup, agree: seems this update is up-/downdrafts.
Unclear to me though if turbulence in clouds was to be adjusted/included as well, together with this new CFD.
Seems not

We had turbulence in clouds SU1-4ish(?). My ‘best’ flight in msfs is still from early SU when turbulence was in: C208 - AC shaking, ice forming, AP disconnecting, loosing alt
somehow made it through

Hope we can push on to make them deliver here - give us a reason to avoid bad WX - being able to fly a Fieseler Storch through a hurricane is just dumb, imho.

2 Likes

Agree with this but we need to realise thermals (updrafts) and cold air (downdraft) is what creates air to move. The the higher the velocity of air the more turbulence. And to model realistic turbulence it needs a really advanced CFD-model first. And i think that is what they working on with that 20km increased Aircraft CFD.

I think this describes both weather and turbulence :slight_smile:

Weather and turbulence is unpredictable.

2 Likes

Nice video ;).
Therefore I would rather have some kind of “random” turbulence (based on wind speed, drafts, gusts) - if its too complcated to include it in the CFD-flow calculations.
The total absence of turbulence is a big downer though.

1 Like

Well, turbulence is unpredictable but not random. I would say improve the cfd model they have. It’s a good foundation.

CFD LES model at an airport.

Think if it’s possible in the future to get this kind of Computational fluid dynamic Large Eddy Simulation. Don’t need to be this detailed, But that will really make the sim air be as real as it gets :slight_smile:

Thats my dream :slight_smile: Hope it’s Asobos too :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I hope Asobo really resolves this issue of no turbulence in the clouds! The clouds shouldn’t just be a “look” or an “object” in the air. Hope they can model the airflow or at least create some turbulence through the clouds soon.

5 Likes

i checked a location that reports TS. This is what i got

1 Like

Yup. Lots of updrafts
but do you experience any turbulence - specifically INSIDE the clouds? I just had steady updrafts for miles, but no turbulence.

3 Likes

Well, i got updrafts on this side of the cloud and then more downdrafts on the other side.

But a TS cloud is convective and should have air that moves up? Will test more.

Standard model: up front, down cold backside:

5 Likes

Large-Eddy Simulation on any desktop platform is sadly totally out of reach. But, a single full LES simulation or two could be used to inform a low-order model of turbulence that could be evaluated in real-time. They could shoot for that.

So
my wish for 2023: turbulence in clouds + more correct/dangerous up-downdrafts in CBs etc.
Make it actually dangerous to fly into storms/CBs.
Make some light bumpiness at the buttom of cumulus clouds.

The gusts we have today is pretty good, but they just push the plane laterally - no roll movement at all - making flying into storm cells a breeze in my mighty C152.

The lack of any bumpiness and roll movement is dumbing the sim down as of now.
Any news on this for 2023 Asobo?

(Yes,this is basically a bump of the topic :wink:)

1 Like

+1 on this topic. Flying through weather systems during climb/decent/cruise needs quite a bit of work on airliner wise. Flying through storm cells with zero turbulence isn’t very immersive. Obviously with this should come a more complex weather radar so we can avoid it!

1 Like

Don’t forget that there is a request in the wishlist: Realistic Dangerous Weather - Physics Simulation, so if you want it, vote for it ! :wink:

2 Likes