Manual Cache For Sale?

Hi, Is it only me or others also see a nice market in selling manual cache?
The main cons of the current system is the time consuming involved with creating relatively wide area high level cache. Are you aware of such a service that will focus on well known flown areas or even areas on demand and supply the cache files in a way it can be integrated into the sim?

1 Like

Stop giving out business ideas, man

5 Likes

No stop. You’ll make them into EA.

4 Likes

Believe me man, if I thought about it someone else is probably busy doing it already :joy:

1 Like

Manual cache doesn’t even work.

3 Likes

What do you mean by doesn’t work? What were you not able to do? mine is fine

Even if you cache an area the simulator will still stream the data from Bing when you fly into your cached area.

I did some tests yesterday to determine whether or not manual cache is working and on my end it made no difference. You are able to download the areas just fine but it doesn’t seem like the simulator is taking advantage of your manually cached areas in any way.

At least that is what I am seeing from my end.

disable your internet connection then try a flight in those areas it does what it was designed to do

Well that would only do half of what it was supposed to do but that is a very good point and observation.

By using manual cache and disabling internet connection does that improve the LOD issues that many have been describing? Also, is it possible to just disable photogrammetry and Bing data through the options menu or do you just have to completely kill your internet connection.

I was trying to get feedback regarding the manual cache in the thread listed here:

Thanks for the input and
 Happy Flying!

It was stated in the early days that Manual Cache was designed to allow you to fly in a No internet mode and depending on the level of detail you download, the level resolution you would get. I have never been lead to believe that it was to used an internet data cache for lag times or what ever. It was my thought the rolling cache was supposed to provide that function for areas that you repeatedly fly in. I fly out of KBNA as my home airport so I think that area is in the rolling cache. As a side note I have never had a CTD when plying in that area I was having them 90 min to 120 min out from my home airport.

Thank you for the exchange --and happy flying to you also

I was under the impression that the cache would supplement whether or were online or not so I could have just been wrong about that.

I really don’t think its about us being right or wrong, there really needs to be documentation on the sim about what functions are supposed to work how it works. So that when it does or does not, then you (we) can better understand what is going on and suggest changes. Hope there someone on here going to write a book, or start a web page that covers all levels of information about the sim.

I also did some test yesterday, and it will only work on those places and even that, I can’t cache Venice, Italia

So for example, If you want to cache Milford Sound Airport in New Zealand, which is one of the most beautiful and stunning place to fly, it will give you offline quality once you are offline, even if you spent 3h caching 20 regions in high.

Right now it’s an utterly useless function

Thank you for this important information. When I hover over the Manual Cache button the explanation is that it also caches elevation data from the elevation map. Is this actually not happening?

350 000 km2 using SRTM DEM at 30m is about 2.4GB.

So might be a good idea to go somewhere remote with a lot of relief, outside selected area by MSFS, and do a test

Just for my b̶u̶s̶i̶n̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶s̶t̶a̶r̶t̶-̶u̶p̶ information: who would spend money for that if it’s already in the game “for free”?

You already have your answer, it’s called free to play game on mobile

I’ve literally spent days trying to get manualcache to work which clearly is still broken even after this latest patch. I’m also a fan of Megascenery Earth in FSX. If the old expression ‘time is money’ is true, then I would definitely buy the manual cachscenery from a third party rather than sit for hours mapping it myself. Especially if it didn’t keep giving me the CTD problem I apparently have now.

Manual cache only kicks in if you have shut off Data related services in MFS - i.e., Internet Connectivity = OFF.

Your non-data reliant graphics settings still get a vote. IOW, if you’re at Medium or High,that’s what you’ll see even though technically, a High Quality Cache contains all the possible data of that section at the moment you downloaded it. Pop-ups/draw distance is not improved by caching. LOD improvements up close are noticable. Fps isn’t improved - I saw maybe a 1-2 fps rate increase.

Server content will change over time, so caches have a limited shelf life. However, if you really enjoy flying in particular places and want to save on Internet data, it’s the only way to go. It’s just a matter of balancing the HQ areas (hint: save those for Photogrammetery places, like Manhattan Island, or the I-15 strip of Vegas), and then cache outlying areas at Medium and Low. If all you’re doing is focused on the Photogrammetry areas, you don’t care so much about appearances as your eye moves from near to the horizon.

I think this would only work if the OP made DVDs with the cache and pricing it cheaper than internet transfer prices, or to people who can’t get a good active connection. Sadly, the way the data file structure is would make this extremely hard to get right, and hard for consumers to mix and match regions.

Asobo should just break this off by section instead of one large cache file.