March 9, 2023 Development Update Discussion

Agreed!

That’s the big one for me

In the SU12 release notes, it says this addon will be automatically installed with SU12. I assume that it means for XBox users, or will PC users need it, too? is the question I have.

1 Like

Hi @FlyingsCool5650,

Yes, this addon is only required for Xbox users who wish to fly WASM aircraft after the release of SU12. It is not needed for PC players.

Thanks,
MSFS Team

4 Likes

Some questions on the Wishlist/Bugs listings…

• What’s the difference between “Not Started” and “Planned”? Does “Not Started” mean it’s “Planned” or “Under Investigation”? Why have “Not Started” and “Planned”? I assume Under Investigation means either they’re figuring out how to do it or don’t have a clue how to solve it and are figuring that out, or if it’s even really an issue in some cases, which are all essentially the same thing. I assume Planned means they know what to do, they aren’t working on it yet, and it may or may not be slotted yet in the roadmap, so they can’t say when it will be solved. “Started” means they are working on it, but can’t say yet when it will be finished.

• I love the description “Fixed (Under Investigation)” :laughing:

• What’s the difference between Yellow and Green items in the Development Roadmap?

1 Like

It doesn’t matter at all. The notes provided clearly state that until SU12 this addon does nothing and when SU12 arrives it will automatically installed anyway. Better off spending your time flying!

The add-on will update automatically - but I think you still have to install it first yourself.

I believe it goes like this:

1. You manually install the add-on yourself first.
  2. When WASM is ready for Xbox, the addon will update as other software on the Xbox updates, and hook itself in to MSFS
  3. When MSFS is launched, it will compile WASM for MSFS (or something to that effect)
3 Likes

I could definitely see that my interpretation is wrong.

That will be pretty sad if it isn’t automatically installed, and people have to figure out they have to install it to get things to work. I look only at all the confusion that still exists regarding the WT530 and the issues it causes and there still isn’t a definitive explanation anywhere of what exactly the problems are and how to remedy them.

Jorg Nuemann was discussing WASM in a Dev Q&A video last fall and he explained that WASM on Xbox works, but that getting it on Xbox was “clunky”. They had to figure out how to actually get it on to the Xbox in a way that the Xbox OS team would allow (and wouldn’t break anything else, or security, etc).

This must be what they came up with, an add-on for MSFS itself. Not too hard to do with directions. If people can figure out how to get MSFS installed, and set up their controllers, fly airplanes on a screen - they should be able to install this addon too. The benefit is that it allows more, and more complex, airplanes to come to Xbox - so I think those that want it won’t mind the extra steps.

1 Like

Exactly this. Those people that will need this Xbox WASM addon are actually asking for complexity. So this will be a „study level addon“.

¯_(ツ)_/¯

I don’t see anything on DX12 - can we expect optimisations?

1 Like

Oh, I understood what it was for. And am psyched that Xbos users can now have access to “all the planes”. Problem is, not making it just part of the install automatically means we’ll see a slew of messages here from people who don’t read threads or release notes. It’s just a personal peeve of mine for “unnecessary complexity”. Granted, people should read release notes. :man_shrugging:

Regarding the WASM module in the XBox store:

Additionally, to enable Xbox support for 3rd Party aircraft which use WASM, we have recently released a new addon to the Xbox Store. At present, this addon is not functional, and downloading it will have no effect on Microsoft Flight Simulator. Once WASM on Xbox support is available, this addon will install automatically when Microsoft Flight Simulator is launched on Xbox. We’ll have more details to share about WASM on Xbox support as we get closer to the release of Sim Update 12.

TL;DR;:

Once WASM on Xbox support is available, this addon will install automatically when Microsoft Flight Simulator is launched on Xbox.

2 Likes

Perfect! That tells me us Xbox simmers will not need to do anything to get WASM. It will “come along for the ride” when the final version of SU12 is released.

1 Like

That being the case, and I’m not saying it isn’t: What’s the point of them telling us about a download that functionally doesn’t currently do anything and when it does it will be automatically installed anyway?

If that isn’t the case and everyone will have to navigate to add-ons post-beta/post SU12 then I imagine if on the Marketplace there is for sale a WASM dependent aircraft, there will have to be a line on the product description to signpost you to install it I guess.

I don’t believe WASM on Xbox will automatically make all the PC-only planes available on Xbox. The developer would have to code for WASM, and, choose to make it available for Xbox, which no doubt means testing and probably has to get in line for approval from the Marketplace?

1 Like

I’m pretty sure they told us about it, because it popped up in the MS Store. It’s better to explain what it is, rather than have us all asking.

4 Likes

Yep, that could well be it.

Where are you quoting that text from? I see Jayne’s post, which says:

This add-on is in a pre-release state and not functional —downloading and installing the add-on will have no effect on Microsoft Flight Simulator at this time. Once WASM on Xbox support is available, the add-on will update and automatically install when Microsoft Flight Simulator is launched.

If it was automatically installed, they wouldn’t need to post how to install it, I’m assuming.

I think you need to first install the add-on, then, it will eventually “update” and “install”. But if you haven’t got the add-on first, nothing.

Why not just wait and see eh? Until then just ignore it.

1 Like

March 9th, 2023 Development Update - Microsoft Flight Simulator