Massive FPS drop because of SU9

Interesting question that I can’t answer.

The listing on the top of the screen is just the CPU Specs.

The other one (indicated at 2 places) is % Utilization and I don’t know what this speed indicates. A guess would be the speed that FS2020 is processing its program.

My I9-9900K also shows a low Speed of 2.55 to 3.06 Ghz
and it is running at 4.8Ghz that I set in the Bios.

Maybe someone can enlighten us.

Your CPU is only operating at low speed. Is that really the CPU specs?

Check your CPU temperature and cooling. Possibly, it’s been throttled down due to overheat.

If no overheat, then your CPU specs is too low for MSFS. Try to reduce some settings.

On my PC, the fps gets really low as soon as I load the flight, something like 5FPS, so I enable DEV mode and disable it right away and everything goes back to normal. This has happened occasionally since SU8. Very strange.

1 Like

So nothing which was described in this thread has been fixed?

It sounds similar to the following issue:

1 Like

cpu power plans.

In windows 10, control panel, power options.
set the plan to high performance and set the processor power management to 100 for both the minimum and maximum processor state.
this might help the cpu limits.

1 Like

The new patch fixed the FPS issue for me. I’m back to 30-40 FPS depending on the location. Tried Naples and Rio de Janeiro airports, never went lower than 28 FPS, different planes.

In other words, for me it’s back to as it felt in SU9 beta with performance improvements over SU8. High to ultra settings, playing on a gaming laptop. i5 10300H, 1660ti 6GB VRAM, 32 GB RAM.

Game launch time is back to what it was in SU8, in SU9 beta I experienced a twofold improvement in load time of the game. It’s wasn’t fixed in this patch.

after 9 hours into a flight my fps drops from locked 30 to around 10 and stutters. I noticed, even when I move my mouse or just using the browser on another window it gets even worse!

2 Likes

You guys are right. I turned down the terrain level of detail from 100 to 40. It still hangs a little, but not as much as before. Still haven’t been able to do a complete flight, so I’m a bit nervous whether it will hang at the most critical point in landing… Time will show.

So far… My performance is mostly back after the hot fix. But I do notice an intermittent stutter with trackir. It resembles the stutter I get with Vsync turned on. I normally run 30-40fps with vsync off in Ultra.

Oh, and I do run my sliders at 100 instead of 200.

I never once experienced stutters in FS prior to SU9. Now I get them regularly. Also, performance in clouds ia abysmal. The longer I fly, the more my fps drops. I have not noticed any improvements in visual quality since SU9. I have also experienced 3 crash to desktops - one while taking off and two on final. SU9 has been nothing but a substantial downgrade, at least on my system.

3 Likes

Same here. I had very good performance before. Almost everything on ultra and more than 40FPS in every plane and very smooth. Since SU9 30% frame loss, stutters, 1% and 0.1% lows are all over the place and I have to fly using clear skies because clouds are completely broken now.

2 Likes

In regards to the CPU - should Hyperthreading be turned on or off in the BIOS and should Virtualization be enabled or disabled? Thanks.

What kind of cooler do you have on your CPU?

This is what I put on my i7 CPU in my Dell PC (the large cooler also has a fan inside).
Now the CPU speed stays over 4GHz when running FS2020…

1 Like

Well I tried it on my oldish system (i7 4790k and 1080) and was happy to see my FPS go back to SU8 levels.

I’ve tried disabling everything related to online, and the stuttering & pauses still exist. I guess, at least in my case, the streaming data/connection doesn’t seem to be the issue… It’s pretty nasty now even post update yesterday evening. Stutters hit that hard landing a flight yesterday eve that I couldn’t land the aircraft and just closed the sim in frustration. Was silky smooth beforehand (except for maybe 5 mins before that when it went into a pause frenzy).

Virtualisation doesn’t matter. Hyperthread is likely to have some impact but the only way to know which is best is to test the workload so I suggest you try both and pick the one that works for you.

Typically hyperthread is better for throughout and worse for latency, but it really depends on how the work is spilt across threads, knowing that MSFS is heavily bottlenecked by a single main thread.

2 Likes

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Massive frame drops

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

Right, well I’ve had a chance to play a little bit now and here’s what I found on my system. For background, I’m running at 4k on a 55 inch HDR monitor, previously with a Titan RTX and now with a newly fitted 3090ti, on a system with a Ryzen R9-3950X. Nothing is overclocked, and my sim settings are a combination of high and ultra but until now with LODs set at 350 - manually via the UserCfg.opt before the terrain slider permitted it lately. Back in pre SU5 I ran LOD 500 and everything on Ultra and generally got a reasonably smooth 30fps. I normally run with vsynch and frames capped at 30.

So, I started out once I’d got the 3090 fitted with my settings as before (350 LODs etc), but with vsynch off and frames unlimited so I could see what the 3090 could do. I tried flights out of KJFK, EGLL and KORD in a variety of (basic) Tubes and the Gravel. In all cases sitting on the ground was a disaster, single digits at KJFK and teens at KORD and EGLL. Things improved when I got off the ground but not by much, and certainly not back to the level I was getting before. One flight in the CJ4 I got up to about 20,000 ft and the rate got up to maybe 45.

So, seeing the various suggestions here, and a big thanks to you guys, I went back to KORD in the Gravel and left everything else as before but pulled my LODs back to 100. Instant result. Sitting at KORD turning over at maybe 30-35 on the runway, get in the air and immediately up to around 45-50, and by the time I was away from the airport area I was up in the 60-70 region. But, or rather BUT . . . my working visual distance was (I’m guessing from LNM I have running on my second screen) maybe 5 miles. From KORD I couldn’t see any sign of Chicago downtown/waterfront at all. As I headed in that direction it slowly appeared, in the form of those wonderful odd shaped lumps and pyramids, and only as I got quite close did it start to take on its familiar shape. Still getting high 60s fps, but felt like I’m flying with a cockpit screen of made up as a pair of prescription reading lenses - looks ok nearby but all goes to pieces in the distance. And remember, I’m sitting in front of a massive HDR monitor at 4k - I really notice this sort of visual degradation.

So yes, turning the LOD down to 100 makes it flyable again on one level but is unacceptable to me visually. Might be OK if I’m out in the H135 or similar but nothing where I expect to see a horizon of any sort.

So next step was to set the LOD back up to 400 and do the PG cities uninstall. Back to KORD in the Gravel again. Still a big improvement over the original, but not up to the LOD 100 fix. Getting around 22-28 on the ground, and then 25-35 in the air, and maybe peaking around 40 once I got away from the airport. But at least I got my visual distance back. So I went to KJFK with this latter setup (high LOD but PG cities removed), and got similar results. 18-22 on the ground, around 30 once I got a couple of hundred feet up, and drifting anywhere between 25-45 once I was away and heading over Manhattan. I also played around with the LOD settings in flight and I may be heading towards the idea of a LOD of around 250 with the PG cities removed as my solution for now.

No doubt about it, LOD 100 removes all performance problems, in terms of frame rates, but for me personally it still leaves me with an unflyable sim. I can fly smoothly in a little bubble where I can’t see much until I fly right over it. If you’re a tube guy, high in the sky and all that, it would probably be the perfect solution for you, but I’m much more interested in what’s down there that what’s going on in the cockpit.

One other observation. In my flight around New York I was very aware that if I flew over any airport (eg KLGA, and remember I’m flying low and slow here) then the rate dropped again and I even got an occasional stutter, plus I was very aware of stuff “popping up” as I approached - things like cars in the car parks, ramps for the aircraft etc. There also seems to be more such popping generally in all these flights I did.

So to sum up, both the suggested solutions worked for me, the LOD 100 works best for pure frame rates but removing the PG cities might be enough on its own depending on your system. For me though, I shall use the combination I’ve described here until Asobo sort this out. As I’m sure they will, intentionally or otherwise. Like many of us here I’ve been through updates where others have reported massive problems that I’ve not seen, and there are lots of people here praising this last update as a big improvement. I guess this time I got unlucky.

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

3 Likes

What temperature does your CPU’s mainthread core get to?
And how many GHz is it running at during the framerate drops?

And that’s with a 3090ti …… the rest of us are in a world of hurt…. Until the next update