Massive FPS drop because of SU9

A couple of interesting articles this a.m. on the google news feed, about MS and the ‘unlimited’ potential of the Azure servers. The long of the short of it stated that MS is having chip issues again with their server, and are having overload issues on the Azure network. They cited one on the heaviest use nodes as being in Wa. state I believe it was USw2. So that unlimited potential of the Azure network isnt unlimited, and that it’s being heavily over sold.

If this is true, then this would explain the issues with loss of FPS (because the servers cant keep up?) and why some people dont have the issue when others do. And of course if this is true and continues, and cant be ‘caught’ up with updates, then it will just keep going on and on and on … Welcome to the cloud Bwhahahahah!

Wow, never heard of 700Gbit. I have 250Mbit and that should be enought. I’m running the sim without rolling cache. Have worked best for me and i mostly never fly in same locations.

Oops, I meant 700 Megabits-per-sec. That typically allows me to download circa 80 MegaBytes each second.
A 1GB download from my internet connection doesn’t take long and is faster than my USB3 portable drive can manage!

I’m going to do a test here today

Interesting. I wonder if one was to use a vpn might they be able to access a different server. I might give that a try. If anything astounding happens, I’ll be sure to report back.

Ahhh……the snake oil memory cleaners again
Creates more free ram and reduces standby ram by transferring from the page file right?

Free ram is useless , it just sits there, by contrast cached (standby ram) is faster than swapped free ram from page file

It sounds good to have more free ram in principle but it has the opposite effect

Msfs is looking for the cached ram which you have just removed, processes are taking longer as you have now removed this cached ram , stutters ensue as it can’t find the cached faster ram and it slows down to a slide show and more often than not CTD

These cleaners offer nothing , they make things worse, windows is more than capable of handling ram better than these ‘cleaners’

My advice , stay well clear of them, especially if you are using msfs

Memory managers on the other hand can help with multiple internet browser usage but msfs is a fluid game and any messing with ram will lead to stuttering and CTD

The answer is better optimisation from Asobo
Not these so called cleaner programs that sound good but do more harm than good

Why Memory Optimizers and RAM Boosters Are Worse Than Useless ​

5 Likes

I’m currently experimenting with the absurd … a 5gb fixed size page file on a 13gb ram drive. I do have 32gb of pretty quick CL14@3200 RAM (60ns) and PCIe.4 otherwise I might expect problems … however so far so good. Oh and I also have a 8gb rolling ram cache on it.

Problems on short flights hardly anyone finds…
On long flights, poor performance begins to be noticed.
For those who make 15-hour flights and do not have performance problems, they could publish what the solution is instead of criticizing so much any idea that someone comes up with in order to help others

1 Like

sorry , wasn’t a dig at you
I dont make 15 hour flights anyway , about 4 hour flights is my maximum
but i was just stating what i have experienced and read on RAM management, i got more CTD using a couple of these programs and then dug a bit deeper in reserching the internet as i was having similar issues.

Look,these things dont work and it isnt just my opinion.

hopefully Asobo will fix the optimisation of this sim in the next update in August…fingers crossed

2 Likes

I have not mentioned names nor do I blame anyone.
I’m just saying I’ve tried it and it seems to work for me.
Quick CPU cleans what MSFS 2020 is storing from RAM, which for me is important and the other tools don’t do it, they only clean the cache and that one doesn’t do anything for me.
And if the RAM has to read what I’m deleting (which I doubt) Let it read it, that’s what it’s for.
I have noticed a considerable improvement like this and I wanted to share it with everyone since it would be very selfish of me not to share it with all users.
I could never finish a 10-hour flight and now I am successfully finishing 15-hour flights for work reasons, sometimes I do these flights.
(I recommend Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling off)

Not that you have overclocks but I have known them to fail after 12hrs of a 20hr burn-in test, the reason being that some mainboard components heat up very, very slowly.

However I suspect in your case there’s a small memory leak somewhere and its just as or even more likely to be e.g. Controllers, Navigraph, Vatsim or a 3rd party addon as it is MSFS itself and small leaks are very difficult to pin down. The only true test is to fly the same route totally vanilla in a default aircraft using mouse and keyboard.

Yes, it is true that after 10 hours of flight, the performance of the GPU drops to almost 0%, that is why of everything I have tried (I promise that I have tried everything until the rain dance) it is what really has echo effect I don’t know if it has something to do with that RAM that accumulates MSFS 2020 and saturates the GPU but now that I’m cleaning it every 2 minutes for me it has been a solution don’t ask me why I don’t know but it works fine for me

Yes, I said elsewhere that ram cleaners are not quite the snake oil that some accuse them of. They may not speed up your PC but for situations like this they can help.

1 Like

There has been some misunderstanding in some last posts. Just to remind - currently, there’s confirmed some kind of memory leak in VANILLA MSFS, which is causing performance degradation over time. It’s not related to any 3rd party Addon, hardware, os version, device driver or whatever - it’s only on MSFS’s side. I hope they are going to fix it soon, as this issue is present for more than half a year.

Also, memory leak is currently not the only one performance issue with MSFS, others have been already described in this topic.

3 Likes

Confirmed by who with what methodology? Maybe you’d like to explain why not everyone is affected? In fact considering the size of the MSFS userbase it would seem that very few of them suffer this problem.

It really makes me wonder why I have to answer this. It was already confirmed by Asobo, even though they have no idea what’s causing this. If I knew answer why this issue supposedly does not affect everyone, I would know solution for this one problem, which is not known for more than half a year…

Honestly, I really doubt that performance degradation does not affect everyone, it’s more likely majority of people just do not notice. We have asked dozens of time for screenshots from people who supposedly do not have issue after 5h flight, and after reloading on same location - they have never posted not a single one, because they do not fly longer flights.

If you have mentioned methodology, you should know sentence “considering the size of the MSFS userbase” is completely incorrect. You have to take a look at sample of users who are using this forum, as vast majority of MSFS users will never visit this forum. This issue is currently one of the most voted one, which means the most users are facing it, represented by sample of forum users :wink:

My reaction to your post is completely useless, as we should examine what’s causing issue, not if it really exists, when it has already been confirmed. In the end, I would love if performance issues were caused anything on my end, because it would mean I could fix it, but sadly not, we have already excluded evetyhing.

And just to remind again, performance degradation over time is not the single issue with performance, that’s currently present in MSFS.

5 Likes

There is a problem. That much has been confirmed by Asobo not that MSFS is the root of it because what they actually did say was that many testers have spent hours and hours of flying long trips and they cannot replicate it.

I did the test here using the ToniGsxr600 tip.
SBGL_EDDF (Rio de Janeiro/Frankfurt).Almost 11 hours of flight.
It was the first one I managed to complete after this last update for this type of flight.
Maybe this will serve as a direction for Asobo to better understand the problem
and fix it.

Rio de Janeiro

Frankfurt

1 Like

I’m glad it’s working for you

Best wishes and happy landings :+1:t2:

1 Like

Dude I have been able to replicate an error of some kind after 5hr of the past 5 flights I have done and sometimes it happened twice in one flight. There have been many error codes but I have just had the same one (Breakpoint reached which has to do with memory) but different location. I have performed many different ways to fix it. I have performed many different memory tests to try and fix this issue over the past week. None have worked which leads me to believe that Orishek is correct. It has to do with a faulty memory in the code of the game. The Breakpoint error also has to do with a .exe file. To me there are too many dots pointing to MSFS itself. And it has only happened after the most recent world update.