Message Signal Interrupts - RTX 30xx Performance Boost?

Stumbled across the following video:

Performance Tweak with MSI Utility

It suggests an optimization for FS using the Message Signal Interrupt utility to change the interrupt priority for the graphics card. Was easy enough to use and does seem to make some difference on my system: Win11/RTX3080/I9-10900k.

Have others tried this with success? Any downsides?

2 Likes

Just tried after seeing Q8Pilot’s youtube video and I have to say it does seem to make a difference for me also. Much less judder / stutter!

1 Like

Interesting, right. Wonder if there are any bad side effects? I definitely picked up 3-4 FPS as well on the ground.

I’ve a 3070 GPU and I know I’m pushing it to the limits. I was getting 27-32fps (in VR) at busy airports but lateral head movement introduced huge judder. This little utility seems to have negated that.

Will let you know if my GPU melts :wink:

Ha!

Also, have been reading that you need to run it each time you update the video driver.

I guess this is not an official tweak utility from MSI. I was searching on MSI page and couldn’t find it

that tool have nothing to do with the “MSI” ( Micro-Star International Co. Ltd ) manufactor :wink:

These tool ( check from where it is uploaded! , may be I would choose a different source, e.g. a public gitlab ) plays with registry settings and enable the Message Signal Interrupts ( easy words Hardware vs Software interrupts , you can see it in e.g. device manager - resource page : normaly there is a hardware interrupt ).

For more details see also Introduction to Message-Signaled Interrupts - Windows drivers | Microsoft Learn

This site also mention some downsides, so may be there is a reason why its not the default. May be also because its must re-assigned while driver install… but I’am not so familiar with that…

2 Likes

Thanks for the article–complicated stuff. Definitely makes a difference but so far I have not noticed any stability problems so I’m going to leave it for now.

Does this tweak also works with an AMD Radeon GPU?

1 Like

Oh wow, this isn’t an overstatement. It has fixed the sim for me. I didn’t use the utility, but I reinstalled nvidia drivers using NVCleanstall which provides the same option. I’ve been testing this whole morning and still can’t quite believe it…

There is a benefit to FPS. However, this is not the main thing. This completely eradicated shutters for me. I can now turn my head whilst taxing and I get little to none shutters or FPS drops. An absolute GAME CHANGER!

Plus, this also fixed mouse behavior in VR for me which is an unexpected bonus. Your mileage can vary depending on your system, but I think Asobo should definitely investigate this. There is something to this!

1 Like

Yeah. I noticed the same.

I find things to be a lot smoother on the ground at 3rd airports. Pretty surprising we have not heard about this one before. I’m on these message boards all the time and have never seen this mentioned. I even did a search for it before I posted and found it as part of a set of suggestions on another tuning thread but was definitely not something called out specially.

Fingers crossed it keeps working!

1 Like

As you say, didn’t hear about it either, but made an absolutely massive difference for me on Win11 Ryzen 5600x/3080. Maybe it’s a big Microsoft/Nvidia conspiracy! :smile:

I’ve found this post on Reddit describing the same thing for Red Dead using the NVCleanstall utility.

Been around for some time. Easy to just ignore it because you might confuse MSI the company with Message Signal Interrupts. Tempted to change the title of the thread so folks don’t ignore it thinking it is referring to MSI the company.

Done!

2 Likes

Title should indicate for RTX 30xx cards.

I just read this on reddit:

That card should already have it enabled by default, but to check, go to Device Manager → Display Adapters → NVIDIA GeForce GTX 3090 → (right click) Properties → Resources tab → (scroll down) Resource type: IRQ → and if the value reported is a negative number, it is in MSI mode. A positive value indicates legacy Line-based mode (which has been the Nvidia default until the 3000 series cards).

I have RTX3090 Asus OC and i just checked the IRQ number and its -29. Which means its allready enabled

It’s but not set to high priority.

1 Like

Hi guys, I am facing a problem. I am currently testing SU10 beta and since then I have these performance indicators in the left corner and cannot get rid of them? Does anybody relate to this issue? Many thanks

If you decide to give it a go, either via the MSI utility of the driver reinstall method, do let us know. I’m genuinely interested whether it works for others or we just placebo ourselves to thinking out sims look amazing :slight_smile:

I did more testing yesterday and it seems to naturally have its limits. Your GPU still needs some headroom to pull shutter free experience. It helped a ton in my usual testing area. However, when I did a flight in Alps yesterday, I notice some shutters in sharp turns in the valleys.

There will be many different causes. It will help with some but not all.

Find whatever utility you installed which is causing this and turn it off or uninstall. This isn’t anything that the sim would do :slight_smile:

Could be one of the GeForce overlays.