METAR keeps disrupting the weather/ bugged weather/Cumulus/CB clouds only/no medium to high cloud coverage

Back from a low and slow tour of the Inner Hebrides where I tried a few live weather options. My conclusion in terms of best options, starting from worst:

• Rex live weather. Looks really good but I really suffered really serious stuttering whenever I approached cloudy conditions. For me this alone tenders Rex live pointless.

• In game live weather. It has improved a bit, but I flew in a constant state of unease, waiting for the entire weather palette to switch from one second to the next. Cloudbanks blinking in and out of existence in an instance. It happened every second flight. Apart from this I think it helped that the Hebrides weren’t close to METAR points (at least I don’t think they are). When I arrived back in Dublin instead I was greeted by the ever present otherworldly volcanic sci-fi nightmare ‘clouds’. They are so so so bad. I hadn’t seen them since I left Dublin a few weeks back.

• DIY live weather. Just check Meteoblu online and build the weather yourself before flying. This is an acceptable option for me as most of my flights are quite short so in real life there wouldn’t be toooo much variation between departure and destination.

So it’ll be mostly be DIY live weather for me going forward and just continue to live in hope that someday we’ll return to something like pre Metar pre SU7 weather.

8 Likes