METAR keeps disrupting the weather/ bugged weather/Cumulus/CB clouds only/no medium to high cloud coverage

Not as long as they not aware of the switches between the renderings of the weather. We need to make them aware of this.

I see it that way too!

I will still make a report to ZENDESK ! “METAR Halo” and wrong cloud formation, whether it helps or not !

4 Likes

Or if somebody open a specific topic post that focuses on this? Perhaps is better? :confused:

I’ve stated this to them months ago now, since SU7 actually, that the weather keeps switching between almost two completely different renders. No matter how hard I’ve tried I can’t get them to acknowledge it.

12 Likes

I have a feeling that they are well aware of all the mess SU7 did to Live weather (remember Seb saying “there might be some bugs” before release of SU7?), but decided on a communication strategy to only admit “issues” and their plan to “further improve” it, without clearly stating the nature of the “issues”.
Imho it was remarkable, how relatively reserved Jorg Neumann appeared in the next to last Q&A that had a focus on weather related questions. And I also noticed the lack of commitment other than “improvements” over an uncertain number of sim updates, where it would have been in the line of his former statements to emphasize the importance of the simulated weather and commit to bringing it at least to the level it once was.
Heck, SU7 was meant to improve Live weather - at least the accuracy - which didn’t happen, and some Q&A ago he even promised to “blow us away” with the weather in the end of this year.
And now they aren’t able to fix or even acknowledge the obvious discrepancies, the basic stuff? After 4 months?
Something is fishy.

12 Likes

You are totally right, one minute you are flying towards a realistic looking weather system and then BANG, it changes before your eyes to puffy cumulus. What I would give to go back to the beautiful weather we had on release

5 Likes

Yup, it seems they’re way over their heads with this and the sudden change in communication regarding weather, after all the hype, suggests they really don’t know what to do about it. They obviously thought the SU7 update change would be the big bang with only minor fixes needed after that, instead its increasingly looking like the whole blended model simply can’t work. And I don’t think redoing the weather model is something they want to think about.

The sudden changes in weather as you approach a METAR station look awful and destroy immersion, on top of the loss of dynamics as the model with produce whatever static value is reported in the METAR for wind, and even if there are gusts in the METAR, we all know all too well they won’t be produced. The lack of wind gusts in a flight simulator really does blow my mind.

6 Likes

Currently it seems an old bug has cropped back up, where the cloud coverage on the world map is showing 24 hour old cloud cover. This isn’t constant though, sometimes it is up to date and sometimes it seems stuck.

This will no doubt be contributing massively to these changes in clouds and also the clouds looking bad, because I imagine it’s trying to essentially blend current METAR with yesterday’s weather.

Anyway, it’s been reported.

8 Likes

They also mentioned a storm chasing update in weather. I don’t think it’s realistic to chase storms when flying a cessna 152. Especially not over land. They heading towards a game more than a sim.

5 Likes

LFAT today. Always same volcanic and puffy clouds. Same inside a METAR area or away from it. Additionally you can go through without any turbulences
Asobo: I hope what we are reporting in this thread is clear and you’ll fix that asap. Without correct weather, this is not a simulator as it was initially but a game where you can fly over nice landscapes.

8 Likes

Totally agree. It’s a real mess just looks terrible. I wish they would acknowledge it and fix it.

It has ruined completely my enjoyment of the sim, I couldn’t stop flying when it was released but since SU5 and SU7 the enjoyment has massively decreased.

8 Likes

Can someone explain to me how to know what type of clouds are accurate if for example only scattered clouds is reported on a METAR? To me that only states how much of the sky is covered with clouds.

If METAR doesn’t have that data then where do i check if correct cloud type is injected into the sim?

I can’t compare the weather in the sim with real weather because it’s impossible to get the real weather into the sim right?

Then what should i compare the weather in the sim with and to know if i get the correct data injected?

To me it feels impossible to help Asobo fix their problem with weather more than to tell them it looks wrong.

It looked much better/realistic pre su5. I would like the weather i had pre su4 because i had gusts and realistic/varied looking weather back then. Hope that helps.

To me it would be better if they reverted back pre su7 weather at least and maybe continue fixing the weather that is now behind the scene and then when it is at least the same as it was pre su7 then release it in a beta build for only weather testing or something. It will never be improvement if they not get it at least better than at release. Now it’s far from release weather back in 2020. It’s 2 years of developement and it’s worse. Not good in my opinion.

4 Likes

i wonder about this, can it be datamismatch between servers.
there has been issues way back with weather reported form american users, at that time
i had no issues aa all on european servers.
all servers need to be synced to have the same data, this can go wrong.
and btw yes i have sudden weather changes too, otherwise it does look somewhat better over last week.

1 Like

i have not seen these volcanic clouds for a week, but they were there right form the start.

I wonder this too. I’ve seen users say that changing servers only impacts multiplayer and not live weather. But I’ve had instances where I have changed servers and reloaded on a different server and the weather has visually changed.

the weather in the world map right now is 48 hours old at least, just checked

1 Like

hello friends !

After some “negative” impressions, I have to say something positive today. After I could find a little improved weather during the short test flights (except for the known stuff, as always, a bit too much of cumulus-like clouds) I “dared” to start my “scheduled flights” again. LOWG-EDDL - weather in LOWG as expected (I was so surprised that I forgot to take screenshots) - further on in the FLIGHT I took some (I partly adjusted the time to show it better):

Even this “cloud halo” in the moonlight was not so noticeable. I ran Electronic Flight Bag next to it (real weather) - it also matched what I saw in the SIM.
Even the MeteoBlue map was pretty consistent with what I saw, even the break in the cloud cover (blue dot towards Munich) was there !

Like I said, I don’t want to get too excited, but it’s definitely better than what I saw weeks ago.
Further testing necessary of course, but just wanted to share it or if the moderators here are reading along pass it on in case something has been changed - that it might be going in the right direction !

3 Likes

I have been testing a lot today, mainly France and Italy, while the weather was mostly good clouds wise in France, I still got strange situations in which for example, the west side of flight was very realistic and the east side was full of lumpy dark clouds, some other times good in every direction and other bad again.
Photos from France

Italy for some reason was more generic

So yes I can see improvements too
hopefully we are on the path to recovery.

2 Likes

I don’t know if they have made any changes on the server side but these last few days I have been able to enjoy a much better climate than these last few months

3 Likes

1 Like