METAR keeps disrupting the weather/ bugged weather/Cumulus/CB clouds only/no medium to high cloud coverage

Yes, that also shows how limited METAR data is.

It’s not limited. It’s doing exactly what it’s supposed to do. If it says clear then it will show clear. It can’t read clear but then also say but 10 miles south there’s conditions for clouds and show clouds. If every reporting station is showing clear then it’ll be clear regardless of if there’s cloud activity outside of the reporting area. Just like what happened to me. Based off of this map, there shouldn’t be a single cloud in the entire Midwest region, which is what we see in sim. However, the cloud map will show coverage all over the place. But because METAR trumps MB, this is why we aren’t seeing the types of weather we had before.

1 Like

To add: the goal of the METAR is to give information about the weather directly at the airport. More than 15 miles or so is just irrelevant and unnecessary. If this map is indicative of what MB is sending Asobo then no wonder everything sucks. Within my immediate area there’s probably 20+ stations but if the map they have here, within those 20+ stations, the only ones they are using all say clear. So, again, get rid of the METARS and just use MB and I’ll help out all of the lazy people in advanced by giving them the METAR link: AWC - METeorological Aerodrome Reports (METARs) If there’s no ATC on Vatsim, just go look it up. They’d be using the same source anyway. Why the need to have it be the main core for the weather engine? Might as well go back to P3D, XP, or FSX or below.

I mean limited to create realistic behaving weather with. But i agree, it does what it should.

To give a great comparison. What we are doing by taking MB and making it be confined to METARS is the same as taking air and putting it into an oxygen bottle.

1 Like

“Clear” only means no significant clouds below 5000 ft and visibility of 10km or more. There’s the whole remaining universe of weather a “Clear” METAR is ignoring.

Realistic looking clouds today at LFMU matching the forecast

Then the METAR changed from CAVOK to Broken Clouds

Notice how the METAR clouds go all the way up and merges with the Meteoblue clouds

6 Likes

and that’s the problem ! it seems to be interpolated and the fronts are interrupted by the "current " metar data - but didn’t Seb say - at some point Meteoblue METAR data will be added (Q&A 2021) - I think it is the same source - only the data is not rendered “correctly” !
always seems to occur in the same circumstances - on the images it is always different station - and the appearance is always the same.

no METAR station or other data !

11 Likes

Nice examples.
It’s quite ridiculous that they still believe a thunderstorm out of place and time can be just “blended” in … And then 30 minutes later when METAR doesn’t report it any longer just what, puff it away over one generous transition minute?

5 Likes

This was Beirut / Lebanon yesterday. As you can see METAR reported rain and thunderstorm at OLBA but there was neither rain nor thunderstorm in the sim. The screenshot was taken directly heading towards OLBA RWY16 and there was not even one single lightning just slight haze.

I can’t really see. That screenshot is at night.

But here i can totally see METAR injected ovc circles.

1 Like

Did the weather always looked so artificial from high up in the sky? Or is another marvellous issues of su7?

Well, those METAR circles is new since su7 because they started to blend in METAR. And that is artificial enought for me. Know for sure there is no circles of clouds at those airports IRL.

1 Like

I mean the fact the the clouds look like in straight lines, like on a grid ?

That was also reported after su7 i think. That makes the weather feel generic.

Feels like a pixelated image of clouds pasted and changed into static volumetric clouds.

7 Likes

Yes, the only difference from FSX clouds is that now the bitmaps are volumetric and animated.

1 Like

Easy to see with the top down camera in dev mode

The METAR clouds are like airport markers

7 Likes

Well, weather fronts over airports with METAR is a thing of the past. Maybe only if METAR reports CLR. If that not remove clouds, i don’t really know. Good way of showing it with that point of interest marker.

I’ve seen that grid pattern before. It looks to me like they have lowered the resolution of the cloud generation, possibly as part of an optimisation pass. It would be less noticeable when looking at it edge on, but easily noticeable when viewed from above or below.

Yes, the human brain is excellent at discerning repeating patterns in the noise like that.