METAR keeps disrupting the weather/ bugged weather/Cumulus/CB clouds only/no medium to high cloud coverage

This post does not appear in the weekly bug list…why?

Currently watching the Livestream Q and A and they said that SU12 will be March 2023. So for 4 months, we may just be stuck with things this way. So far they’ve been discussing largely focusing on aircraft developments. I came in 40 mins late. But will update or make a new post when I can go back and watch entirely and glean anything else related to weather.

5 Likes

I’ll add two things about weather that were talked about:

1. Somewhen in January we should recieve some more info about the weather data API.
  2. According to Seb, they will implement a turbulence UI somewhen in the future. Simmers will be able to tweak turbulence to their liking (for example strong up/downdrafts in storms etc.)

Feel free to add anything I’ve forgotten about.

3 Likes

The team seem to be, as usual, more concerned with bridges you can’t fly under, then realistic weather.

9 Likes

The API would be correct as the ATR developer was talking about making improvements to the WXR which would need to have API access. Turbulence API, eh, if my plane bounces around too much just throw on the seatbelts. You didn’t catch anything about improving depiction, injection, or METAR states?

I haven’t, although TBH I’ve joined about 30 minutes in, right when they started to discuss the weather API and better snow coverage data. I’ll have to look at the first 30 minutes later.

Yes, I’m very happy to have it introduced in the future, because right now the storms aren’t dangerous at all.

Absolutely agree. Very sad.

6 Likes

I came here to say exactly that. Tells you exactly what they are focussed on.

4 Likes

Seb has also said that thunderstorms work in live weather. I’m sorry but no, they don’t. I’m not surprised this game has so many issues when they clearly don’t understand the issues at all. I give up.

10 Likes

no hopes anymore …

6 Likes

Very sad. We seem to be a minority. Many people joined when the weather has already been borked with the METAR integration and those who were left since the sim’s start seem to lose patience and just give up.

9 Likes

Jorg, Martial and Seb are so far removed from reality it is beyond belief. They clearly only ever fly on weather presets, don’t do point to point flights, don’t use things like AI traffic or live weather. They probably just zoom about in the F18 or the deathstar or whatever that stupid thing is. Then they have the audacity to come on to Q/A and give wishy-washy answers, they don’t understand the questions, they are surprised by the questions, and the worst thing of all is that the host does not hold them to account for anything - she is so passive she thinks everything is “awesome” and moves on even though they haven’t even answered the question. It is blatantly clear all they care about it cramming more and more gimmicks into the “game”, add more and more new things in the market place and generate more $$$.

They have basically destroyed the sim that we had at release and it is so sad.

15 Likes

What I don’t understand though is if they don’t care about improving live weather, why don’t they open up the weather system to 3rd party developers? I’m sure Rex for one would be able to deliver what we are looking for. Weather Force is only so limited because they basically have to hack into the sim.

1 Like

Probably because they are tied into contractual agreements with Meteoblue I suspect

1 Like

Already being done. SU12 will include weather API access, one of the ATR developers talked about improving the WXR so next update will most likely include major weather improvements as developers will need that data to be on point for their systems. Even possibly talk of a turbulence API as well.

2 Likes

Well, good news then, isn’t it?

Indeed. Even before today there were some hints and discussion that weather wouldn’t happen until SU12 because of SU11 being tied to the 40th anniversary. The fact that a developer was talking specifically about improving and working on their WXR and that someone else corroborated that weather and possibly turbulence API’s were discussed in the Q and A tells me that this is going to be the one we are all waiting for. They also talked about in mid January implemented hotfixes for the Xbox issues, so we may see some pre API implementation and improvements before SU12. Right now the weather is actually quite nice. I haven’t noticed some of the abnormalities from before. Until after the new year I am not going to put too much more thought or focus into it. When the mid January hotfixes come out I’ll be curious again but until then just fly and enjoy.

2 Likes

Hope is at an all time low.

I bought MSFS after WU3 (and build a PC to match the ideal specs, my first PC and it wasn’t cheap)

Until SU5 I was really enjoying the sim.

SU5 arrived, and the clouds I flew in daily had suddenly turned purple and green. Surely they’ll fix this quickly (I have no previous experience of PC gaming/simming). Six months of hoping, reading the forums, waiting for Q&As, and far far less flying. And then finally after 6 months the SU7 hotfix fixes the colurbanding. Thank you MSAsobo.

But wait, what’s up with live weather? Bubbles of weather around airports, towering black volcanic columns over Dublin masquerading as clouds, weather-scapes blinking in and out of existence from one second to the next, humdrum samey clouds outside of the Dublin horror show.

Surely they’ll fix this quickly, hopefully quicker than the 6 months it took to fix colour-banding. I hope, I wait, I hope, I wait, I hope a little less, I wait. Over a year later and I’m still waiting but hope is fading very fast now, last flickers. Live weather has been turned off in my settings for over a year. Preset weather and short flights.

I found renewed interest in the sim in the last couple of months with the release of FSLTL. Wow this is amazing. I’m largely GA and small airfields but maybe I should try flying in larger aircraft out of larger airports. This is so immersive. I spent time just plane watching at Dublin, flights arriving and departing with only a few seconds lag from Flight Radar. This was the live traffic I expected, but never received, when I first bought the sim. Incredible work by the FSLTL team.

SU11 arrived and FSLTL is broken, that didn’t last long. So live traffic now joins live weather on the hope list.

I loved this incredible sim when I first got it. But nearly every update has reduced my enjoyment of the sim. A good update is an update that fixes something broken in a previous update. For me SU12 will be a good update if it fixes the live weather broken in SU7 and allows add-ons like FSLTL work again having been broken (knowingly!) in SU11.

I’m a patient and optimistic by nature, but msfs is really providing a challenge to that patience and optimism.

I know MSFS give us a lot for free, but I would happily pay a subscription if it meant they really focused on fixing core elements, long standing bugs, and quickly fixing any items they break with an update.

9 Likes

They still happening, just yesterday a nice flight in uk was duined by towering clouds, when in fact it should have been full overcast…

I’m just using PSX traffic and happier than a clam. Even with FLTL providing traffic in a better format than Asobo’s FlightAware, even though they pull from the same source, the ATC and its issue are too much of an annoyance to care at this point until they’re fixed. Give me AI with no ATC and a quiet cockpit. If I want ATC that’s real I can just use ATC Chatter or pull up Liveatc for where I am at.

I know they are listening to our feedback. Well, of weather after su7 i have not seen that yet. But pre su7 they listened to the feedback that weather doesn’t match METAR while i was hoping since release 2020 to see some improvments to the simulated/dynamic weather we had before. Instead they forced me to use a different weather system. Now i hope to get that pre su7 system back. I don’t hope for a weather API. That will only make even more METAr-based weather available that we already have had since fsx-days.

When will we ever move forward and think outside the box for once?

What to look forward to now? Another addon we need to buy? I already tried REX and that works exactly same as all the rest of the METAR-addons. Makes a local METAR report global.

3 Likes