METAR keeps disrupting the weather/ bugged weather/Cumulus/CB clouds only/no medium to high cloud coverage

I can’t really see the need to have the weather be like that. Do users find the weather more accurate there?

Also an issue they merge specific issue reports.

Does anyone use xenviro? how does he represent the weather in relation to love weather?

Some - hopefully - constructive criticism regarding the algorithms of METAR blending:

Real world situation shows some low overcast from EDDH all the way up to Denmark. It’s not uncommon for November that moisture can’t be dissolved by the low sun until noon or early afternoon.

The NEMS model predicted the low clouds far more north.

Nonetheless MSFS does a good job in EDDH by showing nearly overcast low stratocumulus.

Reality isn’t much different.

BUT the algorithm is missing out the surroundings, because despite all stations to the north reporting low OVC conditions, the sim goes with a blend between SCT and BKN.

So in this case an emphasis on METAR synthesis may have yielded more accurate results, provided the algorithms are capable of picking up such situations.

1 Like

I was amongst those who were very critical with the development of Live Weather since SU7, and I am still sceptical.
But in all fairness I have to say that this “spot check” is promising, probably because Meteoblue has the forecast fairly accurate. I have yet to conduct more flights to establish if this is a solid trend or coincidence, but here are today’s findings on a flight from EDDH (Blue dot) to EDDK with a low to middle high frontal cloud system along the northern part of the route, clearing to fair weather on arrival.

Departure, nice overcast

and even multilayered clouds with a convincing low stratus layer.

Weather improving in the vicinity of EDDG (160920Z AUTO 16004KT 120V210 9999 FEW012 11/10 Q1001 NOSIG ) without any harsh transition:

No complaints on arrival as well - EDDK 160920Z AUTO 17007KT 9999 FEW049 12/08 Q1003 NOSIG:

In summary I think the weather depiction was reasonable, fairly accurate and didn’t feel generic. No METAR bubbles were noticeable. So if there have been changes behind the scenes recently, this seems the way to go. It will still be necessary to point out the flaws in the METAR blending with the forecast (see my post above), but fingers crossed.

1 Like

In case one day we can get that toggle option to enable/disable true life METAR, I found an old post requesting to have METAR generated directly by the sim (as requested by many of us), so that could apply to Meteoblue injected data: Implement in-sim METAR according to Live Weather

1 Like

Another one of those days in the UK today where despite the world map correctly displaying overcast conditions, the reality is a broken mess of clouds again, Just take EGCC and EGNM as prime examples. Reality is broken lower cloud with higher level overcast but MSFS has other ideas:

This is despite the world map correctly showing the overcast cloud

On days like this for me, it’s unusable it looks that bad and inaccurate

11 Likes

There is no consistency. Sometimes it looks pretty good and other days like today it’s a mess. The problem we have now is that there are likely more users that have only seen the sim since SU7 came out than than there were before. So most users think this is normal/acceptable/how it always has been. It is soul destroying how few people are pursuing this issue.

12 Likes

I can’t see the point with the changes they made in su7. It’s neither looking better or more accurate. And whats the point having it more accurate when it doesn’t look/behave like weather does? Those that needs it to match METAR, don’t they care about hard transitions and stuff. Or that the airports are marked with fog that pops in suddenly?

A flight simulator should not have simulated and dynamic weather without hard transitions between “real” METAR? If it is more dynamic, varied and less accurate to METAR, it’s more of a game?

Then i want it to be more of game actually even that i have used flight simulators since i were a little kid.

Those things that made this sim weather unique is now gone.

At release = dynamic, fluid and much more varied looking.

Now = fixed around airports, static (fog) and much more generic looking.

Is it more of a sim now is my question? To me it were more a sim pre su7 because the weather felt simulated as well.

9 Likes

Not a solution but I encourage people that started using the sim at or after SU7 to use weather presets or the excelent free addon Floyds Epic Clouds » Microsoft Flight Simulator (new version launched yesterday) so they can realize how the sim is able to generate realistic clouds. After having tried those presets and going back to live weather it should be obvious that there is an issue with clouds depiction in live weather.

4 Likes

To be honest, to anyone who has eyes and has ever seen clouds in the real world, it should be obvious there is an issue with the cloud depiction in live weather!!! :rofl:

Today at Birmingham EGBB instead of the gloomy grey overcast that is present in real life, we have tropical towering CBs akin to something you see in Florida in storm season and definitely not like anything I’ve ever seen in the UK in November. It is so wrong, yet there are so few of us complaining about it I don’t anything will ever be done. 190 votes on this. We are fighting a losing battle I am afraid.

If I was a gambler, I would put money on the fact that Asobo are aware of this issue, but don’t know what is causing it, or how to resolve it, which is why they are not prepared to even acknowledge it exists.

6 Likes

If the original team that created the weather engine is still in place they should know the root cause. Maybe that team is not there anymore or has been reassigned to other priorities. And having real pilots in their team, it must be obvious to them that clouds and live weather system suffered a big regression in SU7.

4 Likes

I think it is like this actually.

Users complained the weather didn’t match METAR.

Asobo changed route and focused make it more accurate to METAR but at the same time tried to stay with Meteoblue because we as users wanted both at the same time.

Now we have both. Don’t matches neither of those sources 100%.

They listened to the users that complained at release. I hope they now also listening to us that don’t need Meteoblue to be disturbed by METAR.

1 Like

Something worth checking for sure, as the screenshots shown by @utd4life12 look like they were taken directly after SU7 - awful and inaccurate.

Here’s EGCC just now, time changed to daylight:

Took the drone cam above the clouds, and there’s even TCU’s in the vicinity.

How can it be that there’s such a difference? The METAR from 1250 UTC when @utd4life12 took his screenshots was

EGCC 171250Z 28013KT 9000 RA BKN007 OVC026 09/08 Q0983 ,
(or probably it was still the one from before - not much different with
EGCC 171220Z AUTO 29013KT 9999 -RA BKN009/// OVC019/// //////CB 09/08 Q0983 TEMPO RA ),

so it definitely should have looked like in my screenshots with this very similar METAR report:

EGCC 171620Z AUTO 29009KT 9999 -RA BKN004/// OVC036/// //////TCU 09/08 Q0984 TEMPO RA BKN005

Something is wrong, and for too long. It’s time this gets some priority.

6 Likes

The weather I had yesterday, was stunning:

Something is definitely wrong, it’s like using two different games from one day to the next

7 Likes

Yes i was flying there today and when i saw those clouds i closed the game, it’s unbearable, an immersion killer

1 Like

Yes, when overcast has correct values to cover 100% of the sky (without blue holes) rendering is nice because we are only seeing the flat side from bottom or top if flying above, it’s like seeing a cloud in 2D. The issue is that when coverage is not 100% (to render different cloud types) and we can see the clouds in 3D (from below, to the side to the top), then the cloud shapes and transparency look (most of the time) unrealistics, I hope I explained myself … :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yeah makes sense. The clouds in those pictures were actually from airports reporting CAVOK or no cloud detected, so purely meteoblue im guessing which is why they looked good

1 Like

Whatever they decide to do with weather. I’m really looking forward to a simupdate that really focus on weather. Not that focus on accuracy. I want them to focus on making the weather feel varied, believable, fluid, and forming of different conditions instead of force different conditions in place. I want to see weather that fits the environment and feels different depending on where i choose to fly. If they want to implement seasons that is a really important thing. Weather is the main thing that causes different seasons to start with.

14 Likes

I still think it is all related to this: Weather like pre su7 before 8 AM UK time, photos and videos provided!2 - #228 by pdeswardt

4 Likes

Yes me too actually, since SU7 it feels like there has been a much deeper underlying data issue

2 Likes