METAR keeps disrupting the weather/ bugged weather/Cumulus/CB clouds only/no medium to high cloud coverage

Jorg Neumann: I don’t know if you noticed, it works really well in the simulator, but we couldn’t get it to work as well in the world map, so we left the world map the same, but the goal is to get that working as well in the coming months. We tried, and tried, and tried and it doesn’t yet look right. It doesn’t really matter, but it’s one of these details that we want to get right.

Agree, METAR bubbles will never look right in the world map. Still we are forced to accept them in the simulator.

5 Likes

If he thinks it works well in the simulator he needs his head looking at. Does he actually do point to point flights using live weather? I doubt it.

1 Like

If they can have worldmap same then it means they still have the old weather system active? Why can’t we get that weather model as an optional feature then in the simulator as well? Works so much better. In the video you did it shows how static it is with METAR.

Weather don’t behave like that. Looks like clouds goes in a loop and pulsating and stuff and stays fixed in place.

And in that time frame you recorded it had several hard transitions that can’t be the 6 hour updates. It updates much more frequent than every 6 hours.

I want my fluid weather system back again

4 Likes

The forecast for KUTS on Sat morning. Sunday night will be overcast.
KUTS Sat 1211 0459

Checking again on Sunday and still predicting overcast overnight.
KUTS Sun 1311 1044

Night time arrives and the forecast holds.
KUTS Sun 1311 2010

The cloud map shows > 95 % coverage between 18:00 and 21:00
KUTS Sun 1311 1800 Cloud Coverage

KUTS Sun 1311 2100 Cloud Coverage

But the sim has other ideas.

Top down view contains your regular patchwork of METAR cloud circles.

39 hours, 6 weather updates all containing overcast for that time and the sim refuses to show it properly.

16 Likes

Oh great and now there’s this new product, FSi Panel, which finds an airport anywhere in the World that exactly matches some weather criteria, based on METAR. If MS ever goes back to not forcing weather to METAR we’ll have another bunch of screamers. It would be best if the METARs in MSFS were made based on the MSFS weather, and not from the RW reports, and that would be the source of data for FSi Panel. But what are the odds that both developers are visionary enough, when even MS shut down theirs.

3 Likes

Unacceptable really. FSX could do better overcast than this.

Forgive me for my English :slight_smile:
After numerous tests, I understood how Fligt simulator translates the weather. I compared what Live weather gives with meteblue maps, specifically with cloudiness.
If the sky coverage according to meteblue is above 95 - it’s ovc, while when it is between 80-95 and the clouds disappear drastically, not to mention when the coverage drops below these 80% - it’s clear sky."
I am from Poland, yesterday the sky was full of clouds in the whole country, meteblue maps showed that it was mostly 80-95, Flight simualtor could not give these 80%, instead there was a clear sky, today the sky coverage according to maps is above 95% and is OVC
My question. Is there anyone here who knows how to modify the files, possibly which files can be experimented with, so that FS interprets OVC with lower cloud coverage than these 95%?

yesterday’s sky coverage below 95%

Sky coverage above 95%

1 Like

There are no files you can adjust. The weather is processed entirely on their servers and is delivered to your sim. In other words, what you see is what you get.

Asobo! please resotre old weather engine or change cloud thickness below 95% :confused:
I noticed that live weather generates only low clouds and overcast, according to meteblue maps. only where coverage of low clouds is above 95% is OVC

currently I am over EPBY (Poland), meteoblue maps show that only in front of the city there is coverage above 95%, a few miles after EPBY there is 60-80% cloud cover, MSFS makes clear skies…

Don’t expect the sim to draw cloud masses exactly where they’re reported in real life. That’s not how the system is designed to work. EPBY is reporting overcast skies right now at approximately 400 ft above ground level. What do you see at the airport right now in the sim?

There is full coverage of the sky in EPBY and EPLL. Between airports MSFS makes clear skies… in reality it’s full of clouds. It looks very unreal.
it looks like sim gives weather only based on meta, like in case of FSX or p3d…

EPLL 141900Z 12004KT 070V160 3500 BR OVC003 05/04 Q1021

EPBY 141900Z 14007KT 110V200 4700 BR OVC004 06/05 Q1021

1 Like

Yes, this METAR feels so old. Nothing technical advanced about it at all. Maybe flightsimulators should be simple? With this simulator i thought we would be able to see much more advanced tech being used to simulate weather. Instead i see a simple line of METAR used to code weather with.

I feel that even some “games” has more advanced simulated weather than this.

Well, maybe need to accept it being METAR weather to be able to be called a flight simulator?

I thought the weather should behave like weather in an advanced flight simulator.

I hope Asobo can see that there is more than one opinion about it. And maybe make both groups of users happy in the end.

5 Likes

Ahh, that’s a better description. It looks like there might be a deviation between the METAR reports and the model data for that area. When I look at the cloud model data for that area of Poland right now, I’m seeing things are pretty clear, which must not be accurate since METAR is reporting overcast. Keep in mind that the cloud model data the sim is using may be much lower in resolution than what you can find online.

I follow live weather very closely, especially after SU11. It has been full of clouds in Poland for 3 days. I tracked the cloud cover with what MSFS gives, what Meteblue shows, I tracked the live cameras of all the cities. My requests:

• Live weather seemed much better before su11, not to mention it was the best in su7…
  • Now it looks like the weather is only generated on metas.
  • MSFS generates only one cloud type (low clouds 0-3.5KM)
  • upper cloud layers are not generated.
  • Msfs gives a clear sky when the clouds have less than 95% coverage (low clouds, medium and high clouds are not generated). It doesn’t matter if the cloud coverage is 60 or 80% - MSFS treats it as if it doesn’t exist.

I think we should get someone from Asobo here to be aware of the problem. Maybe they should introduce 2 weather systems (as in su7), user-selectable? Or write an official statement to Asobo that MSFS has a problem with cloud generation?

2 Likes

Since this thread has been feedback-logged, Devs should be aware of the multiples issues reported here and the request of many of us to have an option to disable METAR injection to have the weather engine back as it was before that painful SU7, that instead of improving the live weather depiction broke it.
I hope this following request in the wishlist will obtain more votes to be considered in one of the next SU.

2 Likes

Two airports in this shot, have a guess where they are…

11 Likes

So one thing I’ve noticed that seems to cause these towering horrible clouds, is when the METAR reports both lower clouds and a higher layer, it seems to just stretch the clouds up in between both layers. See examples below:

LFMU 142100Z AUTO 02010KT 9999 BKN009 OVC190 15/13 Q1015

LFBL 142030Z AUTO /////KT 9999 FEW007 BKN025 BKN076 10/10 Q1015

LFMT 142100Z AUTO 01012KT 9999 BKN009/// OVC013/// ///CB 14/13 Q1016

LQMO 142100Z 33005KT 7000 FEW010 SCT042 BKN090

10 Likes

That’s an excellent observation! I don’t think I’ve seen this mentioned before.

4 Likes

Whether they will get this fed back to the team I don’t know, but anyway I’m not creating a new thread because they’ll just close it and merge it with this one anyway