METAR keeps disrupting the weather/ bugged weather/Cumulus/CB clouds only/no medium to high cloud coverage

Yes, probably because the decision was made for the visibility to be consistent with METAR reports. Still no reason to not use meteoblue visibility estimates in regions without observations, but i think that was just never implemented.

1 Like

Then around airport it should be perfect visibility in a circle with airport in center?

I don’t want several sources of weather that disturb. I only want them to improve one source “Meteoblue”

The reason the visibility around airports is often different and forms an obvious “bubble” is because MeteoBlue does not inject anything but “unlimited” visibility in non-METAR areas. This is primarily a problem with the MeteoBlue model - not a problem with METAR. Visibility is definitely contained in any gridded weather model, but for some reason it is not used in LiveWeather.

One improvement Asobo made to METAR (beginning in SU10) was to interpolate between METAR stations - something that ActiveSky has always done in FSX/P3D. This reduces the “bubble effect” when there are sufficient METAR-reporting stations.

I saw this yesterday in a flight from San Francisco to Houston. The route took me southbound down the center of California’s San Joaquin valley, which is over 250 miles long and often has very similar weather from one end to the other. I was at FL350. The sky was cloud free, both in the real world and in the sim. Looking down, I could see a definite haze layer filling the entire valley - it was not in the form of “bubbles” but continuous as far as I could see looking north and south.

Checking r/w METAR reports, almost every airport in the valley (Modesto, Merced, Fresno, Visalia, Bakersfield etc.) was reporting “haze”. That is very common in this area, and it was well depicted in the sim. I have flown over this area many times in r/w, and it often looks this way from high altitude when stagnant high pressure exists with low surface winds.

In this case, the METAR interpolation was working very well indeed.

If the MeteoBlue model had been the sole source of weather, there would have been no haze at all.

1 Like

Greetings from the San Joaquin Valley. Yes, there’s been haze and fog but not until the very early morning. Haze is because everyone has their fireplaces going.

I’d say it’s more of a problem with Asobo than the model. The Meteoblue models (NEMS or whatever they use right now) have visibility data, although not particularly accurate.
@Perrry has shown plenty of examples of Meteoblue’s visibility data. All it takes now is for Asobo to implement it
 and implement it correctly.

7 Likes

Please Asobo focus make the weather feel believable again. I bet that is really hard to do using multiple sources. We have seen it’s really hard in the su7 experimental weather build we have now. In su11 it still feels forced in place and generic.

9 Likes

I’d say the way to go would be to acknowledge that they took the same approach with Live Weather than with airplanes and avionics: the potential is there from the beginning, but it takes some serious effort to let it shine. With airplanes and avionics, third parties took a huge load off the shoulders from Asobo, so why not team up with some third parties out there when it comes to unleash the potential of the weather simulation? Or make it a priority over more content?

Come on MS/Asobo. YOU CAN DO IT!

9 Likes

2nd day without clouds in Live weather
 What’s going on???

I think something is going on with spesific areas or regions.

Live Weather and Data Functionality are on but no Injection clouds. Winds and metar was ok.

The last couple of days the weather was injected between 10 sec and 3 min after load on an airport. Or never on a 2 hours flight.

What location? I can try and see if i get clouds at that specific location.

Athens, Greece
Rovaniemi, Finland
Regio Di Clabria, Italy

I think your issue is more related to that thread (you should report there) Live weather stops injecting after a certain duration flown / certain time flown
Issue can happen right away after loading a flight or after of certain duration flown as reported in the title. Also issue is inconsistant, can happen to you and not to other users at the same location/time.

2 Likes

The Meteoblue partnership provided a full globally simulated weather system specially created for MSFS. Thanks to VATSIM it had to go and no one was allowed to continue using it.

10 Likes

Yes, what can be better partners than those people working on a weather simulation?

The issue is that we both want it to be fixed as METAR says and at the same time simulated.

I really want the full weather simulation back again that i had at release of this sim back in 2020. Feels sad that i now want to have features back instead of having them improve the weather like i hoped 2020. Because i can’t see any potential in the new system. Hope they can prove me wrong and i can see METAR weather be formed dynamically over time around the airports in the future instead of placed and fixed in place. I bet that will take 8 years to be implemented. I feel that is a long time to wait for something i don’t know will happen. Especially when we had weather got formed around airport and globally at release 2020 already.

7 Likes

Not even close! Getting so tired of this now.

7 Likes

Around LFOI, I am seeing transparent clouds starting from the ground, unrealistic. It is like values injected in Live weather are incorreclty interpreted or something is wrong with an algorithm. Devs, could you please review how clouds are rendered in Live weather so that realistic ones are generated as before SU7 ?. Most of the time we are seeing the same messy and unrealistic cloud formations.

Approaching a METAR zone and around same clouds as ever

I am sitting a KAUS and the clouds have instantly changed 4 times over a 20min period. Asobo looking more and more like amateur’s at this point. Why can’t they just acknowledge they screwed up and give us back the weather we had before?

6 Likes

How did they screw up when they gave the community exactly what they/we voted for, METAR integration? The community shot themselves in the foot. The sim was always intended to use only MeteoBlue and yet we still wanted our antiquated METAR method of weather.

6 Likes

They could have screwed-up only clouds in METAR zones but no, they also screwed-up clouds in non-METAR zones. Conclusion: they changed the overall Live weather engine, METAR integration is one of the reasons but not the only one. Why it has been downgraded ?, who knows. If you see that METAR integration is not working, don’t implement it and work on possible alternates solutions, always looking to improve what exists.

1 Like

Yeah, they changed too much in su7. It’s no turning back now i bet. Now they need to try restore the old system they had. After 1 year now of hoping to see that i have now lost any hope i had right after su7 were released. I thought it were a bug back then but now i feel it were intended. If it were not intended we would already have the old weather system back or the new system fixed by now.

After su7 they told us weather is complex and we needed to wait for several updates to see fixes. But it still behaves exactly the same as after su7 were released.

4 Likes