Metric Units!

Are there plans to add metric units to FS? Seeing as only three countries in the world officially use imperial units and Asobo is French, it seems like a glaring oversight that this isn’t included.

35 Likes

From Aviation Stack Exchange (this forum won’t let me include a link):

Non-SI is only used for altitude, distance and speed except in US and some other American countries.

2 Likes

I agree. I want liters and kilograms. And I want to set my altimeter to millibars.
Don’t shoot me. I can’t help being European. I was born like this.

35 Likes

Yeah, but I’m talking specifically about kilogrammes and millibars.

7 Likes

I mean, literally everyone except the US, Birma, and Liberia uses metric. I know that it’s all feet and knots etc, but weights in kilograms isn’t such a big ask (or altimeter in millibars)

4 Likes

213c60fe335a577c462e323f30491d5d32d6126b_2_690x491

20 Likes

But I like to measure my lengths in multiples of 0.9144m and mass in multiples of 0.45359237kg. :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

I also want this to be implemended (make some options in settings for what units we want to use)
KG and liters for fuel and weight,
millibars for pressure,
and meters for runway length

for real life planning here in europe i never use gal, lb, for fuel and weight
and never inches of mercury
and all runway lengths use meters and not feet

althou i cant seem to upload a picture ill type in the conversions that can be used in the meantime to calculate to metric units

lb to kg -> lb x 0.454
US gal to liter -> gal x 3.785
feet to meter -> feet x 0.305
InHg to hPa -> InHg x 33.86

if you want to do it the other way round. (ex kg to lb) then take the metric number you have and divide with the numbers above instead of multiplying (ex. kg to lb -> kg divided by 0.454)

9 Likes

Full support from my side for adding metric units!
I am currious, why this was not part of the very beginning of the development process.

4 Likes

It was left out, such that they was able to place 4 people on a 2 sit airplane :crazy_face:

1 Like

am also agreed to this. Since all around the world most of the aviation is using metric units.

looking forward to new update regarding this.
I know, from the beginning, the MFS never use metric units, but now is a right time to do it, since everyone around the world enjoying MFS…

3 Likes

Like meter and kg,I’m used to them,and Metric units Widely used in world。

2 Likes

Metric Units are really need for europeen users!

6 Likes

Setting millibarts is possible in jetliners. Does GA have millibars in real life? I actually don’t know.

Of course they do. inHg is only used in the USA and Canada as far as I know,

Correction: the US, Canada, and Japan!

2 Likes

I thought those pilots would need to translate or learn by heart to set HG. No Cessna ever had one in my FSX experience.

Never had millibars…

The Cessna’s in FSX aren’t exactly the paragon of realism. That, and the fact that altimeters can be easily replaced (relatively) and there’s a lot of G1000 nowadays.

Actually, US METARs include the value SLP (eg SLP010172) which provides the pressure in millibars (01 is positive, 0172 means 1017.2hPa) so it seems millibars/hectopascals are provided since the US knows inHg isn’t the world standard.

2 Likes

Localization of the flight simulator and the airplanes would be nice. Also interesting to note that gliders use metric altimeters and variometers in many countries.
(And I do hope they will add gliders - I mean, what else do you need these lovely fluffy clouds for. Or am I overestimating their hyped atmospheric system?)

2 Likes

Realistically Canada would be mixed.