MIDI Controller Functionality

interesting, i had no luck using any of the relative settings. your xtouch settings are VASTLY different than mine. mine are above 8 or 10 posts, you saw those right?

I did see yours which is why I was so frustrated, because I set mine exactly to yours and it didnt work. Maybe theres still something I’m missing. I’ll do some more digging and report back later.

@Turk10mm @LorbySI

I’m trying to program a button to match pressing the the Heading and CRS 1&2 knobs in the TBM. When you press-in any of those three knobs, it ‘captures’ your current heading and sets the heading bug or vor needles to that heading, but does not actually activate the heading hold.

I cant seem to find a setting in Axis that will perform this ‘capture’ function. Is this a possibility?

I have a xtouch mini and I used this: https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/57025-xmini2vjoypy/

It “works” But I get a lot of lag in the dials and it’s not great. So I’ll try your method and see if it better

It’s missing from the sim I believe. There’s a few like that. We just have to wait.

No lag here. Works really well.

This is probably a functionality that is limited to that specific plane, programmed into its gauges (=systems). These are not available as simulator events in the API, nor will they ever be (IMHO). Asobo can’t be expected to add new events every time an aircraft/gauge developer decides to add a button with advanced functionality. Built into the sim itself are only the basic events that are more or less relevant for all planes alike.

In one of the next versions of AxisAndOhs it is planned to add either RPN or LUA scripting. Then you can replicate what pressing those knobs does.

Best regards
Oliver Binder
Lorby-SI

@LorbySI thank you again for the support! It’s 3rd party developers like you that really add the realism to flight sim.

@captnibble Axis and Ohs is definitely the way to go. I quickly left vjoy too and can tell you Axis is far superior.

Pete, I am no expert on this at all, but don’t you have to have vJoy running for A&O to see the midi device?

No. IMHO quite the contrary, vJoy would list the MIDI device as a Joystick, which is not what you want with AAO.

What you need is the software from the device manufacturer - like the Behringer app or Novation Automap. AxisAndOhs accesses the Windows MIDI subsystem directly and picks up their output.

vJoy is an app that transforms other input devices into joysticks. You then assign these Joystick events in the simulator controller dialog. So an input event is first routed to vJoy, transformed into a joystick event, picked up by the sim, transformed into a simulator event which finally ends up in the running simulation

AxisAndOhs reads the input devices too, but it injects the sim actions that you assign to them directly into the running simulator using the SimConnect API. No further configuration beyond what you do in AAO is required.

Best regards
Oliver Binder
Lorby-SI

I stand corrected. The few things I hhave read on it all mentioned vJoy but I guess that was also in conjunction with some script also involved. I will get rid of it then.

Thanks

be careful removing vjoy. I ended up having to do a system restore when i tried. Definitely make a restore point before doing it. I ended up just leaving it alone after the restore. it does not impact Axis and Oh’s or the sim to just be a bump on a log.

Uninstalled using Apps applet just fine for me. I hope to have time today to get back to this. Had company all weekend and just couldn’t get to trying since last Thursday.

Hello,

I have decided to go with RPN scripting in version 1.71. Could you be more specific about what those knobs do? Is every knob triggering the same action or are they all different? (=one sets HDG, the other OBS1, the last OBS2? If you want, send me a message here in the forum with your order number from SimMarket and I’ll give you my devel version to try it out.

Best regards
Oliver Binder
Lorby-SI

Finally have some time to play with this but can’t get started it seems. Midi device hooked up, X-touch editor loaded, MSFS running, and A&O is running and connected to MSFS. I see a Controler designation for Pointing Device listed after my CH controllers. I figured this was the midi/A&O device. But when trying to assign anything I see nothing where you would see Assigned button. If I click Manage joysticks in A&O I DO NOT see the Midi device. What am I missing?

Xtouch editor and a&o can’t be on at the same time. They collide. You’ll have to reboot I think if you tried at the same time. Also make sure A&O has midi enabled in the options.

Tried that but didn’t help. Windows is showing the X-Touch but is is listed as a “sound device”. Is there a separate driver that needs to be installed for the Mini?

After doing some Googling it just might be an issue with my AMD chipset not playing nice with the USB 3.0 ports and the Mini which is 2.0. Known issue it would seem. Looks like a separate pci usb card fixes the issue. ■■■■

Doh. That’s something I wouldn’t have expected.

Amazon order placed so I will find out on Thursday.

1 Like