MIDI Controller Functionality

I just got axis and ohs setup. Looking awesome so far esp the encoders! 2 issues I have found:

1. some of the controls arent there yet - hopefully msfs gets that sdk sorted out and working!

2. The buttons on my X-touch mini fire multiple events at once eg Toggle FD fires off 3-4 events every time I press the button.

EDIT: I fixed the buttons - setting them to “toggle”

Cool!, ya its super simple to configure. Once I realized that using channel and musical note combinations you have a huge amount of flexibility with it. Want AP Master Toggle on both layers of the midi, but only one assignment, then make the same button on layer A and B perform the same channel and musical notes. For example, on both layers i want HDG, ALT knobs and ALT hold, HDG hold, NAV hold, and AP Master to be present so i can control primary AP in whatever layer i’m in. I just made the appropriate assignments on layer A in A&O and then went into the X-touch configurator app and copied the channel/notes from a and put them on b. Done.

This may be a dumb question and could be caused because the board not being recognized correctly atm, but do you have to always reload the presets you make in the Editor before using the board. So far, every time I load up the Editor the thng is back to the basic settings.

When i want to make a change to the A profile i click Get A. I make my changes and then i click Dump A. Until you dump it doesn’t write to the midi controller. if you are doing that… i don’t know what is going on. After i dump, its on the board physically.

1 Like

Oh, I will try it that way. I was clicking Save and then Load, like most other software.

You need to flash the settings to the hardware itself not just save them in a file. Dump A/B flashes it to the hardware.

Weird, put in new USB Contoller and A&O still didn’t see the X-Touch. Re-installed vJoy and there it is. Like I said, weird.

Now to start figuring out how to set it up. Plain buttons are easy but it’s the dials that looks to be hard

Those are two different mechanisms. As far as I know vJoy translates the MIDI device into a joystick - any software can pick that up.

To use the native MIDI interface, make sure to enable it first in the AAO Tools menu - that doesn’t happen automatically. But if you do, vJoy should NOT be running, that would probably cause a conflict. Just for the record: I made the MIDI-to-Sim interface about 3 years ago - unitl now I didn’t even know that vJoy existed. It is neither required nor recommended to run it alongisde AxisAndOhs.

Also, you may have to keep the Behringer software running. Not sure, but I do know that for my Novation controllers I have to have their Automap software running, otherwise Windows doesn’t see them as MIDI devices.

Best regards
Oliver Binder
Lorby-SI

Uninstalled vJoy, again and excuse the pun, but no joy on A&O even seeing the X-Touch. Running the Behrenger software doesn’t help.
I am beginning to regret the money I have spent on the X-Touch, a USB device, A&O :nauseated_face:

You won’t see it on that dialog, “Manage joysticks” has a completely different purpose. Besides, AAO isn’t even properly connected to the sim in that state, it is still waiting for you to board an aircraft.

• in AAO, go to Tools → make sure that “MIDI devices enabled” is checked.
  • restart AAO for good measure
  • Start the simulator
  • Select an aircraft, start a flight, wait until you are sitting in the cockpit.
  • Now try to assign a button or an axis - click on the green “+”, then press or move a control on the X-Touch - check if AAO picks up the movement (the assignment textbox will show what it reads from the MIDI channel)

Best regards
Oliver Binder
Lorby-SI

Working on a project with the wife. I will try it again when I get finished with that, with your suggestions

Update: I did as you suggested and I could then assign some buttons in A&O. In MSFS I can see a new controller called Pointing Device. I cannot assign any functions there. I did try to Save the button layout as a Template but when I went back all the assignments were now gone from the window and when I tried reloading a template it was gone also. The assignments didn’t seem to transfer over to MSFS either. I know I must be missing something but my 68+ year old brain isn’t figuring it out.

Don’t look into the simulator for AAO assignments, you won’t find any. Just forget about the MSFS controller assignment dialog, make sure that NOTHING is assigned in there to anything, except the default keyboard settings. Everything happens in AxisAndOhs, you make your assignments there, and it will inject the associated action live - into the running simulator. It will not - ever - transfer or change any settings in MSFS. Leave the templates alone too, they are not necessary at this stage.

AxisAndOhs remembers every assignment that you make, for each individual aircraft. It does this automatically, and it will load the assignments automatically too when you load an aircraft.

Best regards
Oliver Binder
Lorby-SI

Let me see if I have this straight. A&O saves the assignments for each plane that you setup, without doing anything else. And you have to setup each plane on it’s own. There is no way to copy a profile from one to another (I kind of understand that as they will all have their differences and different a/p’s, etc).

I set up 8 of the buttons, luckily writing them down, on the 172 G1000. Should A&O then show the assignments, like your pic above, when going back to the same plane? I ask because mine did not. Also, can you change the assignments if needed? All these questions and this is just with buttons, I can’t wait to try setting up the knobs for Altitude, Heading, and Radio Frquencies.

I created a template and apply it to each aircraft. Same template on all aircraft for me application as it’s all about using the same com nav and autopilot functions.

FYI each livery is a different aircraft.

There is. Use “Templates → Apply other config to this aircraft” when you board a new one.

Yes, that is what it is supposed to do. It definitely does for me, and you can see it in the video above too. I would need more information about what exactly you did at that point.
When in doubt about if the app saves the profile automatically, go to “Connection->Save database now”

Yes, of course. Just doubleclick them.

To my best knowledge, none of the events in the G1000/GPS groups are working in MSFS. They are there in the SDK documentation, but they don’t do anything.

What I meant by 8 buttons was things like toggles for AP Master, HDG, ALT, etc

OK. Those do indeed work, although they may have their quirks in MSFS. Just read through what @Turk10mm did in the posts above.