Milviz C310R Official Thread

We rarely, if ever, do sales.

1 Like

Hej people of the internet :wave::grinning: first i love the 310 its my all-time favorit. But after the last update i cant pop out the gns530 window to my small gns530 screen there is only an black window. The Asobo gns530 doesn’t work like the pms50 gns530. In another airplanes like the piper arrow 3/4 it works fine also the 420 in the 310. I have no other addons only navigraph, onair manager and the piper turbo arrow. The 310 is new installed also the 530 and msfs… nothing helps. is there an bug in the 310 itself?

Moe❤️

@MoeTronic - Suggest go to Milviz discord server and search “pop out” for posts with discussion

Well I bit the bullet and bought the 310 and I must admit I am very impressed!

A couple of initial impressions:

• Is it really so reactive to control inputs? I am used to flying stable (trainer) aircraft and this one seems to control more like an aerobatic plane! It can barrel roll easily which I was not expecting. Is this right for the C310R??
  • The yoke animation doesn’t match my control input. About 1/2 aileron deflection on my yoke shows in the sim as 100% aileron deflection on the yoke (but looking at the wings the actual control surfaces only get to 100% when I turn my yoke all the way). Is this a bug with the add-on?
  • Power seems low on one engine. I killed the left engine (and feathered it) and found it was only just possible to maintain altitude with the right engine full throttle and full fine prop. This was with only 2 people on board and 50% fuel (and clean airframe) so I can imagine fully loaded this would be a scary situation! Is this expected?
  • EDIT: Also I noticed my control bindings for increase / decrease cowl flaps didn’t seem to work.

I am yet to look though the user guide properly so I might be missing things but I wanted to have a play with it first before digging into the details. These were just the first things that stood out to me after an hour or so of mucking around.

1 Like

Depends on your density altitude. Book numbers:

C310R

Single-engine ROC, sea level | 370 fpm
Single-engine service ceiling | 7,400 ft

2 Likes

Small twin engine GA aircraft like the 310 was marketed to be safer than single engine airplanes. In practice this was hardly the case as the one engine performance was so poor. Also having a c. 30 knots higher landing speed make a failed landing much more lethal.

2 Likes

You lose 75% or more climb performance on one engine (typically amongst light twins), and that’s on a good atmospheric day, after you’ve done everything right in feathering and securing the dead engine.

1 Like

The saying goes:

The remaining engine will bring you to the crash site.

Unfortunately a lot of times with Thermalkern twins that proves to be true

3 Likes

This is very true. With a C310R single engine service ceiling of 7400’ an engine failure in mountainous terrain is going to be a significant problem.

In reality a single engine turbo prop is much safer than a petrol twin.

1 Like

I wouldn’t want to be in any twin engine bird when it has an engine failure…

-Blackbird Simulations

2 Likes

Ah ok so I was at 1000ft and struggling to maintain altitude. I tried again today and my prop definitely feathered more this time and performance was much more like what I would expect. Not sure if I did something wrong or if there was a failure (I had failures turned all the way up) but that makes more sense now.

1 Like

It is also possible if you are using live weather it was a super hot day which would make the Density Altitude substantially higher.

I had friends in a 172 run off the end of a runway in the PNG mountains (luckily no damage or injuries) because they stupidly used the fuel and passenger loading that worked for their normal 7.00 am take-offs at lunchtime instead - when the temperature had gone up by some 20 odd degrees C and it was much more humid. The difference between a 10 degree C early morning take-off at 7000’ and a humid midday 35C take-off is probably about 3500 ’ or so. A 7000’ runway turns into 10,500’ runway in terms of aircraft performance and take-off run needed.

2 Likes

This happens a lot in the intermountain west of the US as well. DA has killed a lot of pilots in Tahoe, Telluride, the strips in the Idaho backcountry, and plenty of other places. It accounts for over 7% of weather-related accidents in the US.

I’ve been on the edge of that tightrope and it wasn’t fun.

4 Likes

I love this craft for the insights into flying.

4 Likes

When I was flying in a mountainous areas with the lovely 310 of ours… had plenty ohhhhh nooo will I make it moments at the peaks. I even had to do some spirals to gain altitude when I misjudged some of the peaks. Fun times, I personally like it as I have to think about what I am doing and how I am doing it.

-Blackbird Team

4 Likes

Hi all, at about 7 minutes 30 into this real 310 training flight Cessna 310 Flight Review - YouTube) the pilot is asked to perform a steep left hand turn and then right hand turn. He does so with minimal yoke movement and minimal change/variation in vertical speed, up or down.
With my Honeycomb Bravo yoke I cannot go even close to duplicating what he does with apparently no effort. I am all over the place with both elevator and ailerons. Is this the setup of my yoke and if so, what needs to change?
Thanks

1 Like

The biggest difference between flying in real life and in sim is in real life flying VFR you are taught to setup your pitch and bank and then transfer it to the outside view comparing wing , dash etc with horizon (and other outside references) and maintain that outside view.

You only scan instruments occasionally. In sim there is a tendency to focus on the instruments and it is very easy to chase the instruments and get pilot induced oscillations. Basically, in sim, many people fly like they are in IFR zero viz and try and fly by the instruments. That is actually quite hard.

3 Likes

Have you got sensitivity, reactivity and deadzones set up ok? Sometimes having a small deadzone in the middle helps, I have slightly reduced sensitivity and reactivity with the 310.

Also it’s never going to be as smooth as IRL we can’t feel what the planes doing we have to wait until we see what it’s doing, there’s no feeling of weight or anything really. Saying that can’t say I’ve ever had much issue with flying it smoothly but not being able to feel what’s happening will always affect things to a point.

1 Like

Do you have rudder pedals?
If not, get some. Do not even think about trying to control the rudder with a twist joystick. It can’t work (which you are not, but others might be).

It’s super important to make small changes and wait for the plane to move. It will not move immediately. So if you’re moving and then moving more because it’s not reacting immediately, you will get exactly the response you are describing.

It can be really hard to sim fly because you cannot feel the forces that you feel in real life, so it’s super, super easy to over control.

Hi all,

Just to let you that we will be dealing with the new AAU in this product in the next month or two.

We want to wait till the dust settles a bit.

Thanks.

7 Likes