Milviz C310R Official Thread

Depends on your density altitude. Book numbers:

C310R

Single-engine ROC, sea level | 370 fpm
Single-engine service ceiling | 7,400 ft

2 Likes

Small twin engine GA aircraft like the 310 was marketed to be safer than single engine airplanes. In practice this was hardly the case as the one engine performance was so poor. Also having a c. 30 knots higher landing speed make a failed landing much more lethal.

2 Likes

You lose 75% or more climb performance on one engine (typically amongst light twins), and that’s on a good atmospheric day, after you’ve done everything right in feathering and securing the dead engine.

1 Like

The saying goes:

The remaining engine will bring you to the crash site.

Unfortunately a lot of times with small GA twins that proves to be true.

Edit: Fixed typo

4 Likes

This is very true. With a C310R single engine service ceiling of 7400’ an engine failure in mountainous terrain is going to be a significant problem.

In reality a single engine turbo prop is much safer than a petrol twin.

1 Like

I wouldn’t want to be in any twin engine bird when it has an engine failure…

-Blackbird Simulations

2 Likes

Ah ok so I was at 1000ft and struggling to maintain altitude. I tried again today and my prop definitely feathered more this time and performance was much more like what I would expect. Not sure if I did something wrong or if there was a failure (I had failures turned all the way up) but that makes more sense now.

1 Like

It is also possible if you are using live weather it was a super hot day which would make the Density Altitude substantially higher.

I had friends in a 172 run off the end of a runway in the PNG mountains (luckily no damage or injuries) because they stupidly used the fuel and passenger loading that worked for their normal 7.00 am take-offs at lunchtime instead - when the temperature had gone up by some 20 odd degrees C and it was much more humid. The difference between a 10 degree C early morning take-off at 7000’ and a humid midday 35C take-off is probably about 3500 ’ or so. A 7000’ runway turns into 10,500’ runway in terms of aircraft performance and take-off run needed.

2 Likes

This happens a lot in the intermountain west of the US as well. DA has killed a lot of pilots in Tahoe, Telluride, the strips in the Idaho backcountry, and plenty of other places. It accounts for over 7% of weather-related accidents in the US.

I’ve been on the edge of that tightrope and it wasn’t fun.

4 Likes

I love this craft for the insights into flying.

4 Likes

When I was flying in a mountainous areas with the lovely 310 of ours… had plenty ohhhhh nooo will I make it moments at the peaks. I even had to do some spirals to gain altitude when I misjudged some of the peaks. Fun times, I personally like it as I have to think about what I am doing and how I am doing it.

-Blackbird Team

5 Likes

Hi all, at about 7 minutes 30 into this real 310 training flight Cessna 310 Flight Review - YouTube) the pilot is asked to perform a steep left hand turn and then right hand turn. He does so with minimal yoke movement and minimal change/variation in vertical speed, up or down.
With my Honeycomb Bravo yoke I cannot go even close to duplicating what he does with apparently no effort. I am all over the place with both elevator and ailerons. Is this the setup of my yoke and if so, what needs to change?
Thanks

1 Like

The biggest difference between flying in real life and in sim is in real life flying VFR you are taught to setup your pitch and bank and then transfer it to the outside view comparing wing , dash etc with horizon (and other outside references) and maintain that outside view.

You only scan instruments occasionally. In sim there is a tendency to focus on the instruments and it is very easy to chase the instruments and get pilot induced oscillations. Basically, in sim, many people fly like they are in IFR zero viz and try and fly by the instruments. That is actually quite hard.

2 Likes

Have you got sensitivity, reactivity and deadzones set up ok? Sometimes having a small deadzone in the middle helps, I have slightly reduced sensitivity and reactivity with the 310.

Also it’s never going to be as smooth as IRL we can’t feel what the planes doing we have to wait until we see what it’s doing, there’s no feeling of weight or anything really. Saying that can’t say I’ve ever had much issue with flying it smoothly but not being able to feel what’s happening will always affect things to a point.

1 Like

Do you have rudder pedals?
If not, get some. Do not even think about trying to control the rudder with a twist joystick. It can’t work (which you are not, but others might be).

It’s super important to make small changes and wait for the plane to move. It will not move immediately. So if you’re moving and then moving more because it’s not reacting immediately, you will get exactly the response you are describing.

It can be really hard to sim fly because you cannot feel the forces that you feel in real life, so it’s super, super easy to over control.

Hi all,

Just to let you that we will be dealing with the new AAU in this product in the next month or two.

We want to wait till the dust settles a bit.

Thanks.

7 Likes

Just took the 310R from PHX to LAX. I forgot how good it handles. And it looks great in VR!

1 Like

<3

While I like to fly the aircraft with different avionics loadouts, I don’t need really hot-swapping. I would be happy with different liveries having different loadouts. But IF you keep the hot-swapping, in a perfect world, I would be able to switch between the WT GNS530 and the PMS50 GTN750 with its “WTT mode” (because features).

So do the new WT GNS 530 and 430 current work in the aircraft?

I’ve asked but it’s likely not. As we understand it, WT/MS/Asobo will be making mods/changes/fixes on these in the near future, we’ve decided to wait until such time as those are done.

This is to avoid us having to keep on doing fixes to our end.

Patience will be required.

3 Likes