Missions like FSX

Yeah I think you are right and Manston approach was just the atc

“Remastered” is not the way I would describe SU11 implementation of this bunch of legacy “missions”.
It’s more like a collection of bugs.

2 Likes

No kidding. My post was before the update came out and before the missions were released. Highly disappointed with what was thrown out to us.

4 Likes

“Alaskan Floatplane Pilot – Chugach Scenic Tour”

Buggy, won’t complete.

Isn’t there an FSX-style mission legacy to uphold by MS?

Some very good feedback comments on Missions. Thanks.

2 Likes

From the developer stream last february, it seems like Asobo won’t make fsx-style missions in the near future, but I’m happy to hear that they recognize the importance of missions and the role of the community.

For me, missions were the main part of FSX. Missions can provide unique challenges, immersion, and let the player experience different aspects of aviation!

I’m working on story missions myself, but it’s quite a slow process. Missions can get quite complex, and the state of the SDK also doesn’t help.

But I think the situation around missions will get better: the SDK will be improved, third parties will continue making cool missions, and hopefully Asobo will focus on making more missions as well.

5 Likes

Are we going to get propper missions like rescue the Skiers or Find the kayakers etc ??
the current " missions " are simply extra discovery flights

3 Likes

Wow! Looks like a really cool expansion with huge variety of new activities! This may be what we’ve been waiting for. Let’s hope it also includes story missions. I’m curious to see how it will turn out, but it sure looks really cool.

6 Likes

I’m with you Jayshrike. The sense of adventure found in the scripted, FSX-like missions is something that I hope they don’t neglect. While the variety of tasks presented in the reveal trailer is compelling on its own, part of the appeal of my favorite FSX missions is that stuff doesn’t always go according to plan. System failures, dynamically worsening weather, an unexpected emergency on the ground where you are the only one who can help and you have to decide between playing it safe or being a hero. Those are examples of things that make a routine, almost boring, flight into one that you’ll remember for a long time. Combine that with some likable, voice-acted characters like a ride-or-die co-pilot, snarky passengers, or even just people you hear having a conversation on the radio that doesn’t even involve you, and you have the makings of a true adventure.

Personally, I have a bunch of ideas for cool missions, but due to the current state of the SDK, most of the things I actually want to implement are either not possible or too hard for me to figure out due to the lack of official documentation. The various features shown off in the trailer, if they are made accessible to user creators, would definitely help make my ideas possible. What I mean are things like animated ground crew, pax, pilots, paramedics, and, rescuees too. I also spotted some other new features that will further help take immersion to the next level, such as suitcases in the nose of the DA-62, the aircraft fuselage inside of the Beluga, animated skydivers inside the Caravan, and the fact that their respective doors actually open also!

I can only hope that a proper implementation of scriptable non-player aircraft is also in the pipeline since that would add a whole lot of life to these new missions as well.

2 Likes