Mnemonic Checklist Only Flying

I wonder if anyone else flies in the sim like this…

After I learn an aircraft fairly well I will fly it using the following mnemonics for each phase of flight.

Not my idea something I once read in a IRL flying forum.

Granted I fly mostly simpler “bush planes” and this would likely not work in more complex planes.

But… I find it useful having memorized only one checklist to cover most of my flying.

Chime in if you do anything similar.

Here they are:

Mnemonic Checklists

Ground Check: CIGAR

Controls - Free & Correct

Instruments - Set

Gas - Tank, Pumps, Quantity

Attitude - Trim, Flaps Set

Runup- Complete

Before Takeoff: BLITS

Boost Pump - On

Lights - As Req’d

Instruments - Set

Transponder - On

Seatbelts, Doors - Secured

Enroute: FLARE

Flaps -Retracted

Lights - As Req’d

Aux Fuel Pump - Off

Radar - Transponder On

Engine - Lean

Before Landing: CGUMPS

Carb Heat - On

Gas -Fullest Tank, Pump, Quantity

Undercarriage - Down & Locked

Mixture - Set

Prop/Primer - Set

Switches - Set

After Landing Check: FACTS

Flaps - Up

Aux Fuel Pump - Off

Cowl Flaps - Open

Transponder - Standby

Switches - As Req’d

Tail draggin’ and grass lovin’…

I use BUMFICHE for prre landing in light single engine props

Brakes off pressure checked

Undercarraige fixed or down

Magnetos on both

Mixture Rich

Fuel on and sufficient

Instruments reading as expected

Carb heat hot

Hatches and harnesses secure

Engine instruments all green (or in normal range)

I guess a few of us will have our own.

I had never seen this one. Did you come up with it?

I always learned carb heat off on landing (Max power for possible go around). Am I wrong?

I’m no real world pilot.

But, on videos I have seen both done, but carb hot more often than cold.

A go around would still allow to put to carb heat to cold, whereas it would be a bad surprise to apply throttle and finding out the carb iced up…

Maybe someone with more knowledge will come by and clear it up for us.

I always use checklists but do use these as a backup to make sure all the vital items are set. For example very shortly before landing I will do a GUMPS check. It ensures that even if I missed something vital on the checklist I will catch it there.

I happen to be a real world pilot. Carb heat on when descending, off on final is what I learned. When you are going around chances are that you forget the carb. I was curious if others learned this differently.

It depends. Some aircraft only call for carb heat when carb ice is suspected (normally not used on landing). Others the carb heat is applied when you’re pulling the power below the green arc. Carb heat goes back in once you clear the runway. Part of the go-around checklist in some aircraft is to return the carb heat fully in.

In the Cessna 152 for example when you’re abeam the numbers on downwind you will apply carb heat and then pull the power back to 1700 to 1800 RPM. The carb heat is to remain on until you’re clear of the runway or you decide to go-around.

Yeah, that’s my own that I came up with about 30 years ago because I could never remember the standard one

I think this accounts for the differences seen in videos different airframes with different engines have differing procedures.

Makes sense…

Right!

These mnemonics are a check on the checklist in real life and probably not advisable to solely rely on, but in flight simming to make sure things are done right without referring to the checklist every time I find it useful.

I have no intention of becoming a real pilot as I don’t have the means to pursue it - so it’s not like I am transferring bad habits to real flying.

However, the post I came across in the real life forum made the suggestion of using CIGARS - GUMPS as sufficient for flying a Super Cub.