Mountains definitely looking better (Pokhara - Jomsom Nepal)

VNPK TO VNJS. Popular tourist destinations in Nepal. The mountains and ranges are looking much better with the update. Kali Gandaki River, forms the deepest ravine in the world.

Landing bumpy!!!

10 Likes

Thank you for sharing.
It is for sure a nice part of the world and an interesting route…
I was just wondering: what do you think is looking better ?
It was already good, are you talking about graphics in general or digital elevation model (DEM), I don’t know if there was an update of DEM in Nepal?
In USA, some mountain ranges are looking much better now because of higher DEM though I sometimes have abrupt changes of LOD, jumping from low details to high details terrain but that might be because my connection is too slow…
And now that I have flown over glaciers of Mount Rainier I feel that mountains in the rest of the world lack details (I know it’s already good), I can’t wait to have DEM upgrade for the rest of the World !

1 Like

@PierrePhot68 . I should have been more specific. Yes many regions were already good. Now, The mountains are looking more pointy, sections of ranges were missing in the Himalayan area before the USA update (1.11.6.0) Now the whole range is present and almost accurate. I don’t know , it could be DEM update for that area as the starting screen displays something about mountain vector/data.

Yes, It would be great if many mountain ranges globally started having DEM updates.

I flew there a few weeks ago, from Thailand to Europe, via Myanmar, India, Nepal, Bhutan, Pakistan etc. It was already looking very good. Don’t think it has to do specifically with the USA update. I think updates in general get better.

1 Like

Oh yes !

I’ve checked this place a few weeks ago, it looked like Appalaches. It really was not possible to recognize specific mountains (Dhaulagiri is easily recognizable on the film). It still lacks a bit of roughness, but I’m getting picky.

It definitely proves that we don’t necessarily have to wait for a specific update for scenery improvements.

A rough landing is what you need on short runways.

1 Like

Definitely not bad (between Jomson & Manang).

7 Likes

Did the latest update 7 include elevation data improvement for the entire world ?

I thought it was limited to the USA only.

My guess is DEM is part of the online data : it can be improved without any user update.

3 Likes

In the last Q&A, they were talking about a new calculation method for elevation, they planned to use it to sharpen the cliffs. Maybe it has something to do with that ? I’m pretty sure this kind of update would be server side, so quite invisible for us…

1 Like

@DonQuilmi3528 Wow, you are right!!!
Very accurate.

Pre-1.11.6 update vs 1.11.6 update comparison:

4 Likes

I did a video at Lukla a month ago, if I have time I will check if the mountain range has improved in the Khumbu valley…

1 Like

I think you have miss this one :wink:

1 Like

@BidImpala169680 Thanks. That looks amazing

Nice comparison.

Good news!

I think it’s rather to improve extrapolation between mesh points. The progress noted in this topic is likely due to the improvement of the mesh itself.
But an improvement in the calculation method might allow it to guess the location of the edges and to avoid rounding off cliffs and ridges.

1 Like

I see. I’m flying quite often around the K2, until now, this moutain was rounded in a spectacular and unrealistic way. I’ll fly there tonight, if there is any improvement, I’ll see them immediatly and send you a picture :slight_smile:

I went around Aconcagua, to check South-America. I don’t have any image “before”, but the level of detail is pretty good.

1 Like

I could agree, but after latest patches I just see a lot of artifacts in the terrain LODs on mountain areas. Upper sections appear with semi-transparent portions and they vanish while you approach. Terrible…

Cheers

3 Likes

I can confirm something has changed a lot with the mesh. This is a picture of the K2 before the patch (from youtube video), and two pictures I took this evening.

This mountain is definitly more peaky than before, even if there is a lot of glitches on it.!

3 Likes