Mouse wheel as trim - adjust sensitivity?

Don’t know if a mouse counts as a peripheral compared to a stick or yoke or pedals but this seemed like the best subforum for the question.

If I bind elevator trim to my mouse scroll wheel, the sensitivity is far too low. I would have to scroll furiously for like 10 seconds to make any appreciable difference in the actual trim setting. Increasing the sensitivity of the mouse works for things where you actually move the mouse, like camera panning, so that if you turn it up to 100% from the default 50% the slightest touch sends your POV spinning wildly, but does nothing to the scroll wheel.

Is there any hidden setting in a cfg or something I can change that will multiply the input of one mouse scroll wheel click by like 10x?

Hi,
So yes there is a solution with the .cfg file (On the other hand this file does not exist for all planes)

So ex: choose the plane you want to modify…

→ SimObjects-> Airplanes-> Again the name of your plane-> flight_model.cfg

and look for the line-> “elevator_trim_effectiveness”
on my side I set the value to 3.0

(if you have a problem ask me again)

So this won’t work for a lot of payware planes where this file is not accessible?

So yes precisely it works on all payware planes (normally)
because I wanted to do the same on default planes and the “flight_model.cfg” file does not exist
So it should work on your payware
(what plane?)

I might be mistaken, I was thinking there were payware aircraft where this file was encrypted like aircraft.cfg tends to be… But maybe it’s only the default premium/deluxe edition planes.

You can also use a third-party input management app to change the trim at whatever rate you like, though I don’t know which ones allow you to bind the mouse wheel (as opposed to game controller buttons).

Sorry I was eating,
On my side I have no problem with the “encrypted” file (I have no encrypted file for info)
Which plane do you want to modify?

Aircraft purchased through the in-sim marketplace (on my Steam version) universally do not have an accessible “flight_model.cfg” file.

Oh dear, because I’m under “Microsoft Store” so for the steam version I don’t know how it works sorry my friend… :grimacing:

Addons purchased through the MS Store Marketplace don’t have these files hidden? I thought this was a universal thing. There is even a highly-voted wishlist thread about it: Marketplace Encrypted Files - Unlock or Remove Encryption including Premium and Deluxe Aircraft

Ah yes ok I had not seen this topic, is the Hidden File option enabled in your PC?
And not for me Microsoft Store version Addons are not encrypted

Yes, I have show hidden files and folders on.

To be totally clear, you are saying that in the Microsoft Store version of the sim, if you purchase addons through the in-sim Marketplace (not through SimMarket or Just Flight or whatever), they have totally accessible cfg files? What addon aircraft do you have?

If true this would be enough to make me rebuy everything through MS Store but it contradicts many other reports I’ve seen.

Ah thank you for clarifying And it’s true that I did not buy the Addons on the Microsoft Store, I buy them on third-party sites

I see. Well, certain developers only sell through the in-sim marketplace, so this idea would avail me nothing with them.

1 Like

So you’re probably right about the encrypted files there I can’t tell you

Sorry but if you are Addons its bought on the Microsoft Store I do not know how it works

Yes as Vibstronium says there may be third party software that can do that

As an experiment I changed the vertical scroll speed in my mouse software to the max and it has no effect in the sim.

Yes as Vibstronium says there may be third party software that can do that

Anybody want to suggest something specific? FSUIPC? I found a very old (2008) forum thread which seems to imply (in passing, as the actual discussion was about mouselook) mouse wheel as trim was possible with FSUIPC in FSX but I’m not sure.

Indeed, I think changing the speed of the mouse will not change the speed of trim you are right.
So listen I have FSUIPC but I don’t have a configuration for the mouse so I will look at this and tell you if I found it something not now i have to do something else but i will keep you posted…

Have you gone into windows control panel and just set the mouse wheel settings there? I know you can change them in there whether or not they will have any effect in the game ‘they should’ then you wouldnt have to go through all those cfg files and could just do it universally.

But of course it would affect the mouse wheel for everything you use it for just not MSFS.