Mouse wheel as trim - adjust sensitivity?

Yes as Vibstronium says there may be third party software that can do that

As an experiment I changed the vertical scroll speed in my mouse software to the max and it has no effect in the sim.

Yes as Vibstronium says there may be third party software that can do that

Anybody want to suggest something specific? FSUIPC? I found a very old (2008) forum thread which seems to imply (in passing, as the actual discussion was about mouselook) mouse wheel as trim was possible with FSUIPC in FSX but I’m not sure.

Indeed, I think changing the speed of the mouse will not change the speed of trim you are right.
So listen I have FSUIPC but I don’t have a configuration for the mouse so I will look at this and tell you if I found it something not now i have to do something else but i will keep you posted…

Have you gone into windows control panel and just set the mouse wheel settings there? I know you can change them in there whether or not they will have any effect in the game ‘they should’ then you wouldnt have to go through all those cfg files and could just do it universally.

But of course it would affect the mouse wheel for everything you use it for just not MSFS.

The sim seems to ignore the Windows mouse scroll speed setting also, and even if it didn’t turning it up as far as I would need to in order for it work as trim makes the scroll wheel basically unusable for everything else.

The FSUIPC manual indicates that this is doable with FSUIPC, but it can’t be tested in the unregistered demo version (seems like there’s basically nothing you can do in the unregistered version, which doesn’t make it a very good demo) and I am loathe to pay $25 just for this.

Hi guy!
So I looked at the settings of FSUIPC and saw nothing to configure a mouse action.
There is indeed a “Mouse Macro” function but it is to assign functions or shortcut for the keyboard.
(So you won’t have to buy it) :smirk:
Is it for a specific plane or for everyone?

I want it for all aircraft.

Ok wait I’ll watch …
(I’m doing a test … 2Min)

In your command settings you have set your mouse wheel on which input?
->Compensator axes
or
->Decrease, increase depth compensator

And why don’t you configure the trim on your joystick why the mouse wheel?
Or even in the cockpit go directly to the trim with the mouse and scroll the trim with the wheel…

In your command settings you have set your mouse wheel on which input?
->Compensator axes
or
->Decrease, increase depth compensator

I’m unsure what you mean. I think we may have a translation issue here. No command in the US English version of MSFS is called “compensator.”

I was binding “Elevator Trim Down” and “Elevator Trim Up.” You can bind the mouse wheel to elevator trim as an axis but if you do the sim warns you this isn’t recommended and I can see why because then scrolling the mouse wheel just causes the trim wheel in the aircraft to jerk wildly without actually changing the trim setting.

And why don’t you configure the trim on your joystick why the mouse wheel?
Or even in the cockpit go directly to the trim with the mouse and scroll the trim with the wheel…

Currently the trim IS on my joystick. I wanted to use the mousewheel because it’s the closest thing to the actual trim wheel used in many GA aircraft.

And “clicking” the trim wheel in the cockpit requires me to look down (either with mouselook or TrackIR) and click it. Trim on the mouse wheel would allow me to change trim without looking.

Ok, I understand :smirk:
(Yeah sorry for the translation I’m French so Google translate)

So for your setting you do it like this?

So from my personal experience I have a 737 Quadrant throttle which has a wheel for the trim as you can see, but as you configure the trim on the wheel of my throttle I have to turn it 400 times to have a reaction as for your mouse

I think that for the moment some peripherals are not yet adjustable as we would like.

So for me I did this I configured the trim on these buttons (picture) and I did the manipulation I told you at the start of the post.

Can you send an image where there are encrypted files because you can’t access you told me?

So for your setting you do it like this?

Correct. But, as you said, doing it this way you would have to sit and flick the mouse wheel for an eternity to have any actual effect on how the aircraft is trimmed.

Can you send an image where there are encrypted files because you can’t access you told me?

You want a screenshot of something that isn’t there? On addon aircraft purchased through the marketplace, cfg files are not accessible, they get put in an “.fsarchive” file. There has been widespread demand for changing this for a long time: Marketplace Encrypted Files - Unlock or Remove Encryption including Premium and Deluxe Aircraft

You don’t have access to his files?

I feel a bit like we’re going in circles at this point.

I have access to all files for the default aircraft that come with the base (not premium or deluxe) versions of the sim.

For the additional aircraft that come with the premium and deluxe versions, and for addon aircraft purchased through the marketplace, many files are encrypted.

Here for example is the file structure for the DC Designs Stearman purchased through the marketplace. Note files with “.fsarchive” extensions, and that some of the .cfg files you would normally expect to see are “missing.”

Yeah and it’s true that you’re on Steam so our files aren’t really the same. I better understand the request to remove encryption. So my friend, I’m stuck, I can’t help anymore :tired_face:

All addons purchased through the marketplace are like this, whether you get the sim itself from Steam or the MS store.

I do appreciate the effort though.

So yes and no as I told you I am in Ms Store and I have access to all files and I have no hidden or encrypted files because I was able to modify all planes purchased on third party sites Orbx, SimMarket and I even saw earlier in the games base planes (asobo-aircraft-c152) there is the flight_model.cfg file and I can change the lift_trim_effectiveness … :thinking:

but this “flight_model.cfg” file is not present in all base planes

Base planes from the standard edition of the sim like the 152 have these files exposed.

Addons purchased through third party storefronts like SimMarket also have all files exposed.

However, addons purchased through the in-sim Marketplace have these files encrypted. And unfortunately some popular developers choose to ONLY put their addons on the Marketplace so there is no other choice in where to buy them. “Base” (Asobo-created) planes included in the Premium or Deluxe editions of the sim (like the Cirrus SR22 for example) also have these files blocked.

I appreciate you trying to help but I feel like I’m just repeating myself now.

:smirk: Yes as I told you some plane the file is not present or “inaccessible”
Yes for Sr 22 the file is not present (for me)

Sorry for not being able to do more, good luck anyway :call_me_hand:

I have also had a hard time with trim sensitivity, both on the keyboard and with the joystick hat. I wrote a simple addon that is working well for me:

diagonalization-lab/msfs-trim-control (github.com)

It is a straightforward hack: if the elevator trim changes too quickly, it clips it to slow it down. You can use the slider to adjust what “too quickly” is. I have also bound the water rudder key to set elevator trim to zero, which I find helpful after landing.

I believe this is will work just fine if you’re using the mouse wheel for trim. However, I suspect it won’t play nicely with hardware trim wheels. (I don’t have one.)