Ms Sidewinder Force Feedback 2

Looks like you have the real thing as well. Question if I may, If I had a flight yoke and pedals, you don’t feel anything from those type of controllers ? Is that a correct assumption ?

Thanks, Jim

Just installed XPforce a few hours ago … works GREAT on the Sidewinder

I will do that. That would make life easier.
Thank You

I suspect you may have quite a good Quality YOKE & Pedal set, but unless you paid $3k+ for Force Feedback hardware, you will not FEEL any sim generated forces back on those controllers.

You will See and Hear environment item that affect the movement of the plane.

The Biggest advantage of a Force Feedback Yoke, or the less costly Force Feedback Joysticks, like the old Sidewinder 2 Force Feedback (see Ebay), is that you FEEL through the Joystick, and #1, you can TRIM the plane correctly (or you will be able to soon, once Asobo fixes a “few” things,

FYI I was at Oshkosh a couple of year ago, and checked out the Middle Priced, semi Commercial / flight school simulators there. I don’t believe ANY had Force Feedback to the Yoke or Pedals … but I suspect that has quickly changed.

Sidewinder 2 Force Feedback (Ebay - before they are all swiped up), and XPforce is a cost effective solution.

Russel’s FSForce seems to still be in development, and may be missing the boat (Plane)

I did the same. XP Force works fine with Sidewinder!

Works for me as well, but I am still working on refining its operation.

One thing that occurred to me recently, is what the effect of adding reduced sensitivity and dead-zone is to the force feedback positioning, when the trim is being adjusted.

Won’t go into long detail here, but while adding those might help the pilot compensate for the short range of movement of the physical device, it will (?) also mess up any Force Feedback positioning control, as the center position is moved,

Not tried this out yet, but it may well be that for Force Feedback Joysticks, it is better to have NO dead zone, and a linear response, so that the Force feedback with elevator trim (and AP), can function better (without a discontinuity, and low sensitivity) , and accept the fact that the Pilot has to compensate with more precise hand movements of the Joystick.

I am even considering modify the Joystick to extend its hollow shaft, (and the wiring in the shaft !!) so that full defection is a much further movement of the hand on the end of the stick.
Might not be too difficult … as I type this, I am getting more motivated to move in that direction :slight_smile:

Pour utiliser le joystick il ne faut qu’il y ait de retour de force. pour cela débrancher l’alimentation du joystick et ne laisser que l’alimentation par usb et plus de retour de force . l’avion devient pilotable

To use the joystick there must only be force feedback. to do this, disconnect the power from the joystick and leave only the usb power supply and no more force feedback. the plane becomes flyable

I think we need a vote to to implement Force Feedback for the MS SideWinder 2? Anyone?

3 Likes

yes! please! +1

Absolutely

Asobo just need to give better SDK support to addon Developers, who can do a far better job supporting these not so common, but GREAT FF devices.

ie It would “NICE” is the Sim did not CTD, if you plug in a Thrustmaster “Top Gun” FF Joystick !!! - even if they did not include a default profile.

That has to be the EASIEST CTD to debug and fix. Its 100% Repeatable, 100% of the time.
A CTD “on demand” !!!

But of all Joysticks, a MS product not supporting a MS Joystick – that just Crazy mixed up !!

Here this need your “vote”

this guy seems to have implemented force feedback for fs 2020: https://directinputmanager.com/airforceplayer/

Just tried it … it’s a start … Good to see another tackling this. Not easy.
Tried it with my MS Sidewinder 2 FF. Almost worked… still lots more work needed.

Is it know whow is writing this , are they in this Forum ??

Didn’t work for me. Made my MS FF2 fully dead in terms of FF. Had to revert to XPforce to bring it back to life.

Try xp force for now, but watch out for FS force in the hopefully near future. The former is working fairly well on my Logitech G940 FFB.

1 Like

Doesnt work with Saitek Evo Force Feedback Stick.
I used the Evo Force Stick with MSFS2020 without FFB effect and it works well.
After the last update i cant start the sim with connected Evo Stick. If i plug the stick inside the USB port with open FS Software i get a screen
…new Hardware found…
but after a few seconds the MSFS2020 crashes. Thats really sad.
I use the Evo Force Feedback with Cliffs of Dover (Win7 and Win10), the stick is working perfect with CloD and the feeling is great to fly with the FFB effect and really helpfull when i am flying with a Messerschmidt Bf109 E-4.

Exactly the same thing happens with the Thrustmaster “Top Gun” FF Joystick.

SAD … MSFS should not CTD when USB device is plugged in !!

Maybe Osbobo do not have access to any of these older FF Joysticks, to test with.
It may not be such a difficult thing to correct – but priorities probably get in the way …

Got to keep the Candy Factory churning out more Sweet, Sugary Eye Candy to feed the marketing monster.

Yes it worked well in the past (without the FF effect). I had no problem to edit the keys and axis and i never had a CTD. Everything was fine but i dont used the stick often. I changed the joystick back to my TM T16000 because without the preasure of the spring the Evo FF is senseless.
Yesterday i saw AirforcePlayer and XP Force and wanted to to try it out. At first i checked the Evo in MSFS without installing the tools. The MSFS didnt started with the plugged stick…Crash to Desktop when i plugged the stick with running MSFS. then i tried the Airforce Player to check what happens with the Evo.
Nothing - the stick doesnt work with AirforcePlayer and now the joystick is back in the cupboard.
It simply doesn’t make sense to search for a FFB Tool as long as there is no support from MS / Asobo for the FFB Hardware.

1 Like