MS2020 on Gaming Laptop?

OK, please hear me out…I am downsizing my living situation and will have much less room for computer gear (Sigh…) So here’s my question: Does anyone here fly with MS2020 using a 17" gaming laptop? Sure, the move is currently to 32" screens and blazing desktops, but I just won’t have the room…There are some decent deals out there right now on gaming laptops with excellent components and beautiful screens…And, I will almost certainly be sitting closer to the laptop than I am my monitor…I will welcome any opinions or suggestions! Thanks…

Moved to Self Service #self-service:pc-hardware for advice regarding use of MSFS on a gaming laptop.

Heat throttling is the main problem for equally powerful laptops and towers.

1 Like

I have an Asus G15 which has a Ryzen 7 4800HS, Nvidia 1660ti, 16gb, nvme drive. It’s currently driving a 4k external monitor. I find that my best setting is native 4k reduced 50% to HD in the sim with all settings on medium except clouds which I put on high. Nvidia control panel is locked to 30 FPS. Those settings keep my GPU temps generally in the low 70’s. I can technically get more oomph with higher settings but then my GPU temps start averaging in the high 70’s and creeping into the low 80’s in certain situations.

I’ve found that I have two base line items that I need to do. One is to keep my FPS locked to 30 in the Nvidia control panel. The other is to keep my GPU temp in the low to mid 70’s. I then adjust my other settings accordingly. That’ll probably be your situation as well.

UNDERVOLTING is the key

Better performance … less heat

Using on a gaming laptop with a GTX2070 Maxq with no issues.

As soon as i remove it … laptop takes off … less stable and LOTS if noise

msi leopard here 1660, I can run it all day hooked to the 55" 4k with no issues, no special fans etc. It runs just fine, and looks good too, on a 17" eh, Id make sure I got something that has and hdmi port so you can hook it to your television.

I use a Laptop ASUS ROGs since FSX. Now I have a ASUS ROG STRIX G71.2…
17.3", Intel i7-10750H, 32GB Ram, 1TB SDD, GPU RTX 8GB, W11.
Sometimes I conect my laptop to a LG 50" HDTV 4K, but as usual I run my FS’s in the laptop.
Normaly my MSFS runs over 60fps, & my Jostic it’s a OLD MS Force Feedback…
For this reazon I NEVER back to a huge, heavy & static PC…
Not when I can fly on the breackfast, on the garden, on the bed, or anyware.
& less when I’m a retired 76yo old man (gringo in Mexico) who loive alone his last days in the Caribean…

Maybe, & I say maybe, I buy a xBox, but not now, & not with the actual Joystics for xBox :sunglasses:

1 Like

Yeah, currently running MSFS 2020 ( + a lot of other sims / games ) on a gaming laptop. No problems at all .
Specs are ; RTX2070 , i7 -9750 , 1TB Samsung SSD .
Have it hooked up to a 25 inch gaming monitor .
In game settings on ultra+ . FPS locked to 30 .

Having been gaming on laptops for approx the last ten years .
HAVE ALWAYS USED A LAPTOP COOLING STAND !!

( I can’t stress enough , the importance of using a laptop cooling stand , especially on a gaming laptop :+1:) .

1 Like

Gigabyte AORUS-5 gaming laptop, i7-10750H, 16.0 GB, GTX 1660 Ti 6GB, W11, HDMI out to 42" 1920x1080 display.

In FS 2020, setting FPS max to 30 allows all graphic settings on high with LOD increased to 400.

In that configuration, GPU runs 85-100%, CPU all cores 40-60% with 1 of the 12 cores usually at 95-100%.

The FS2020 performance indicator is mostly green, occasionally flashes yellow, and rarely red.

This laptop has a good cooling system which is only pushed to the max if I remove the 30 FPS restraint, which also causes the CPU and GPU to peg at 100 with stuttering video with those other settings.

My takeaway is the 30 FPS limit and 400 LOD is responsible for the smooth detailed video using this gaming laptop.

Thanks for the great insights…Decided to go with a gaming laptop…It’s only money!

Steve

1 Like

I do have a 2+ year old MSI GL73 8RC laptop with a GTX1050 vid card. I connected it to a 29 inch ultra wide screen + a keyboard. Joystick rudder pedals and throttle. Setting on High have to do scaling on 40 but get around 32 fps in most places.

YES… Just concider this…
A new ASUS ROG in Amazon it’s over 4,000 USD…
A new xBox series X in Amazon t’is just over 400 USD

Just for fly on MSFS, I buy a xBox and safe a lot of money :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Yea but he gets free Solitaire and Minesweeper! :partying_face:

4 Likes

And Steam ( Euro Truck simulator , rFactor2 , etc etc ) . Plus , the added ability to " mod " his games etc . :grin:

Limited space sounds like a reason for a VR headset.

On a side note, for all of us here with gaming laptops, are you able to get the Nvidia scaling working?

It works on my 1660, I dont use it but in my experimental phase it worked.

Thanks, I appreciate the reply. I tried installing GFE and still nothing. Oh well. I have performance to my liking so I’ll stick with what I have now.

Late here, of course.

Dell G5 SE Ryzen 7 4800H 5600M 32GB RAM - Running generally these settings:
https://www.flightsimulator.blog/2022/02/17/best-graphics-settings-guide/

I have the laptop in a stand, well 2 inches off the table.

1 Like

Wondering if upgrading my msi gp75 leopard would be worth it

It has a a i7-10750h/16gb ram/ rtx2070
So far at 1080p I’m most of the time at 45fps, and 30 near big airport, with everything at ultra/high

Would I see a big difference with a i7 12800hx and a rtx3070TI ?