MSFS 2020 and stutters

that sounds like a ping related stutter - try turning off ‘live weather’ or ‘live’ everything to check it?

Thanks for the idea. I have turned everything off that I can, to no avail.

The only time I get stutters is with GSync enabled - only game I have that I can’t use GSync. I was still getting a locked 30FPS framerate with/without GSync (30-40 FPS on Ultra) but for some reason it stutters with GSync. This is the only game I run at 30FPS, for MFS2020 I’m satisfied as it’s been consistent.

i7-9700k 4.6GHz, GTX1080ti 11GB OEM OC, 32GB 3200 CAS16, NVMe install, Alienware AW3418DW GSync 3440x1440 @ 100Hz (primary), MSI MAG24C FreeSync 1920x1080 @ 144Hz (secondary), Ultra setting, Live Weather ON, Traffic real-time online, 8GB rolling cache ON, 200/15 Mbps internet, Glass cockpit refresh HIGH.

Mostly flying the c172 Skyhawk g1000 and Bonanza

1 Like

Does your monitor have G-sync? And your monitor connected using HDMI or DP?

Check your controls, particularly rudder. I too was flying TBM and that had a suicidal AP. Ran the Thrustmaster diag tools and found out the rudder would suddenly go full left for a split second…This was what was turning off the AP! So check if AP becomes mysteriously disengaged, it’s probably your controller. Got Thrustmaster to replace my controls and issue is gone now.
I also believe the patch you mentioned helped too. I use to see AP issues before my Thrustmaster rudder broke but those AP issues would happen with the AP still activated.

Sorry but this thread is about stutters and not Autopilot…

2 Likes

Yes, it’s a GSync monitor and it’s connected through display port - Alienware AW3418DW.

I run all my games full screen so I usually have the GSync setting in the NVidia driver set to “Enable for full screen mode”. When I realized that MFS2020 wasn’t running at a true “full screen” I changed the driver to “Enable for windowed and full screen mode” but this “seemed” to cause the stuttering. My framerate didn’t change it just caused a very noticeable and consistent stuttering - like it was skipping every other frame or so.

BUT, you got me thinking… I also have a second non-GSync monitor connected (DP) so I thought maybe that’s why I’m getting the stuttering under a GSync “Fullscreen & Window” mode. Well, I’ve spent the past 3 hours tinkering and for the life of me I can’t get the stuttering to return regardless of how I configure GSync (fullscreen or full/window mode) and with various other driver settings. Very strange, but my frames are smooth and consistent (31FPS capped) so I’m good. I did set my GSync driver back to “Fullscreen” as I didn’t see any difference even if GSync was working for MFS in “Window” mode. I’m capping my frames at 31FPS with VSync ON (NVidia Inspector) without GSync (Fullscreen only so not MFS) - it’s as smooth as I can get it.

1 Like

I was replying to Jimjamxxx to provide a tip and help out on the comment made about AP.

I have turned into forums becouse of those annoying very micro stuttering that spoils my experience. It just doesn’t feel fluid! Mainly fly in UK and I have consistent over 55 - 65 FPS except from airports on ground like Heathrow when it sits around 41-45 with TBA. High setting except ultra clouds but changing everything to low makes no difference.
Developer FPS in sim shows Main thread limited with green to orange spikes with rare red spike but this micro stutters (lack of SIM fluidility) is not connected to red spike. CPU 18 - 20 ms

I7 10700k @ 4.9 all cores Cache @ 47 HT ON 16 THREADS
Z490
NVME SSD
2070S OC
32GB 3600mhz
900MB fibre connection

Tried all sorts of things with NVidia panel settings, GPU power efficiency to performance, threading to on, GPU full bandwidth in Windows game settings - nothing seems to remove those micro stuttering.

What am I doing wrong? What can I do? I wish someone from Asobo answered me on this!

Kind regards

1 Like

Maybe:

• look at any background programs
  • treat FS2020 as an exception in any anti-virus program
  • set FS2020 to ‘high priority’ process
  • what is your level of ‘rendering’ in graphics settings? Higher values than 100% can often give a performance hit. If at 150% then I would definitely reduce the setting.
  • community folder. Any out dated addons there or other stuff which could affect performance?
  • consider turning off live traffic
  • what res. are you running at? If 4k consider perhaps drop to 2k?
  • something I don’t know but would look into myself. Is HT beneficial? Logically, yes, but maybe worth confirming.
  • rolling cache. I don’t use this. If you have this running try turning it off. I think (?) it’s only really beneficial if you have a slow internet connection ??? When it’s being used it could potentially create some lag if it’s coming from storage ???

A few things off the top of my head that maybe useful although i’ve probably missed quite a few things too :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you for you reply!

• look at any background programs - done, tried to close unnecessary software like ICUE, Bitdefender etc, Bitdefender is set In gaming mode as well - no change in fluidness

• treat FS2020 as an exception in any anti-virus program - done - no change in fluidness

• set FS2020 to ‘high priority’ process - interesting, will try this evening!

• what is your level of ‘rendering’ in graphics settings? Higher values than 100% can often give a performance hit. If at 150% then I would definitely reduce the setting. - it’s on 100 and it should stay there as I’m on 1080p

• community folder. Any out dated addons there or other stuff which could affect performance? - you got me thinking again! I’ll go and update everything this evening!

• consider turning off live traffic - haven’t tried but rather to leave it on but I’ll try turning off

• what res. are you running at? If 4k consider perhaps drop to 2k? - 1080p as I’m on 2070S so not yet ready for 2k

Thank you for tips, I’ll try them and report tonight. What is your experience if you don’t mind me asking and what’s your spec and scenarios you fly?

Kind regards

I would not advise setting flightsimulator.exe priority above normal. In fact, doing so can actually hinder performance rather than help it.

Changing priority does not make anything run faster

Manually setting the priority for a process simply sets the base priority for threads belonging to the process. The process may set threads to run at a higher or lower priority if desired, this is up to the programmer. However, this is done on a case-by-case basis according to the logic running on the thread in question. Threads processing I/O run at a higher priority than threads loading assets from disk in the background. If the program sets its own thread priority, the process priority has no effect.

Priority only affects one thing: which thread gets access to execution resources first

If a high priority thread and a low priority thread are both ready to run (not waiting on the system to wake them up and give them something to do) the high priority thread will be scheduled on a logical processor first, followed by the low priority thread. If two logical processors are available, both get scheduled; if only one logical processor is available, the high priority thread is scheduled and the low priority thread is placed in queue.

When multiple threads of equal priority are ready to run – and no threads of higher priority are ready to run – they are executed in a round-robin fashion for a set period of time. Once that period of time elapses, they get kicked off and go to the back of the line.

When a thread of higher priority becomes ready to run it will take the place of a thread of lower priority that is currently running if there’s no free logical processor at that time. In other words, threads of high priority can kick out threads of low priority.

Thus, threads that are heavy on logic and computation, or are otherwise not time sensitive, are assigned low priority. Threads that are time sensitive are assigned high priority. Mucking with priorities can result in time sensitive threads not having access to the resources that they require when they need them.

In the context of FS2020, whichs very single core heavy, the problem is compounded. In fact, setting a lower priority is often more helpful to reduce stutters, at a slight cost of latency, as threads have more time to complete.

This post is paraphrased from other online research.

3 Likes

Hi WooWoo87. One thing you didn’t comment on is the ‘rolling cache’ suggestion that I was probably adding on as an edit as you were typing :slightly_smiling_face:. That might also be worth looking into.???

My PC specs are: i5 7600k (oc 4.6), 2070 S (oc), 48 RAM (oc), multiple SSDs, main monitor 35 inch ultra, 2 side monitors (27 inch) all running at 1440 p (except when in VR mode using Oculus Quest 2).

My experience in Monitor mode:

• crystal clear graphics
  • 45ish fps in VFR at 1000ft (give or take) around EGNM using GA planes/TBM, live weather, rolling cache off, most settings high (a few med). Can’t remember my setting for live traffic tbh.
    I get a really smooth sim experience with no lag or stutter.

TBH with us all having different PCs, diff. settings, diff. drivers etc etc it’s not surprising we’re all having different experiences. And then of course there is still probably quite a bit more optimisation to be done in FS2020 too. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

It kind of makes sense to me (I’m not an IT engineer). I do remember this helped in FSX for some. Anyway, I will try both high and low setting and see if it helps. I’m thinking of making video as well with my problem. I also game with 144hz monitor and all titles I play run with no stuttering at all and “fully fluid” with exception to MSFS. It makes me wonder is it just me or is it MSFS or is it my hardware not capable to run it fluidly. I remember times with FSX and me flying with GTX 780 and 3770k it wasn’t fluid then and it had far more stuttering problems. I’ve been reading that the coding was really bad with FSX so I gave up as I couldn’t stand stutters and couldn’t afford high end hardware. Is it the same with MSFS? Please don’t get me wrong, it runs smooth enough but not fluid enough for proper experience.

Thank you CroppingPoem for technical explanation on the windows processes and how CPU handles it.

Kind regards

Rolling cache? I thought it suppose to actually help? Are we talking about cache setting it the MSFS setting and you suggest to turn it completely off?

I’m glad you’re happy from your experience :blush: and oh, I wish to try VR with MSFS !

Kind regards

Edit: yes, I can see you’ve added rolling cache to your previous post! Will definitely try that as well!

THANK YOU ALL!

No, it’s not your PC. You seem to have a decent rig. It’s probably some sort of software issue (FS2020 not optimised), GPU driver, settings etc. Your PC system is a better spec than mine and my sim experience with FS2020 is pretty good.

Having said all this, what PSU do you have? Sometimes underpowered/low quality PSUs can also have a detrimental effect on performance. I’m not thinking that this is necessarily your problem but I thought I would throw it into the wash for what it’s worth. Probably nothing! :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes, my rolling cache is turned off and has been turned off for quite a few months. I seem to remember (vaguely) that when it was on I got a few stutters. I’ve not switched it back on for ages though and there have been quite a few updates since then so maybe turning it off now would no longer be beneficial ??? :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Well, all that comes to my head right now after your suggestions is the CACHE, WINDOWS PROCCES PRIORITY, AND LIVE TRAFFIC. I will try all that this evening. If you can run it fluidly, I should as well I guess…
Will report if anything got better after changes you proposed.

My PSU is gold rated Corsair 1000w

Kind regards

The shame here is that for the past 6 months, we have heard NOTHING from the developers, their designers and programmers, to give any direction for corrections. No MANUAL or documentation was ever released. They set up this forum for us to all scramble and do guess work. Leaving us to debate our settings with each other (like we’re beta-testers). It’s a pile of bugs and confusion, leaving us all guessing how to make this mess just run half decently. 🥲
Let’s see what fresh-hell tomorrow brings!

2 Likes

Great. That should be fine and should give you scope for upgrades further down the line :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like