MSFS 2020 and stutters

If you don’t care whether one sim flies MUCH better than another, then this discussion is pointless.
The complexity of the software does not earn the title od “flight simulator” . And yes I do “happy” but not with MSFS…

Fine, it must be a G-sync thing, but I am not going to buy a G-sync monitor only to run MSFS properly.
I am perfectly happy with my 60 HZ ASUS PA 329 32" monitor running @ 4K, with wich, I care to repeat, I run a half a dozen games, and most importantly DCS, all maxed out and at 4K resolution, in a perfectly fluid manner at solid, fixed 60 FPS, perfectly syncing to the 60 Hertz of the monitor itself, thus providing a perfectly fluid movement. …

1 Like

Yes i could confirm 100% that G-sync eliminate all those stutters ( micro-stutters).
I have Asus PG279Q 27" ( g-sync) and Eizo CG275W and you could see clear the difference

If stutters are a problem of G-sync can you tell me why I have stutters in cockpit view only with airplanes with glass cockpit (A320 NEO) and no stutters in external view. These stutters appears only on airports during taxiways movements but not in flight.
Gauge refresh rate setting has very few effects on those stutters for me. I think that if Asobo put a refresh rate for glass cockpit gauge means that there is a problem with that.

1 Like

@CptLucky8 pointed out that, although counter intuitive, there is significant evidence that lower gauge refresh settings actually aggravate stuttering. Maybe try cranking it back up.

1 Like

Have you tried driver 457.30? Reduced stutter a lot for me!

The newest Nvidia drivers are 461.09…
And yes, I have also noticed that lower gauge refresh settings actually aggravate stuttering,
but cranking it up does not eliminate them completely…

For what it’s worth, I have an Alienware 17 R3 and after I disabled g synch in the Nvidia Control Panel stutters were gone. I run the high-end graphic settings with live wx and live traffic. Get about 20 FPS in airliners at big cities and 30-35 all other scenarios.

1 Like

Wow, that is strange. I’ve had my GSync monitor (Alienware AW3418DW) for over a year and have always had GSync enabled - can’t think of any game I’ve played (30-40) that wasn’t smooth. I won’t buy another monitor that doesn’t have some type of GPU-Monitor sync technology. I love this monitor.

1 Like

new update installed today - stutters are worse and occurring both in cockpit and external view. Checking to see if the update changed any of the graphic or game settings - also checking the Nvidia settings to see if anything was changed there (by me) as a precaution. Was hoping to see the opposite.
Stutters on one flight so bad they registered on the frame counter - another was more of a 1.5 second ‘hang’

2 Likes

more flying today after the recent update from yesterday. The first two flights I made yesterday and that led me to make the post above about stutters occurred at Davis Monthan airport, a location I had not used before. Following that and after writing the post above I flew from 65s Bonners Ferry - to KSZT Sandpoint, a flight I have made over a dozen times in MSFS. The flights over the familiar region were without any stutters. Frames were consistent at 40+ high of 48 - low of 40.
So I followed those flights with others in familiar regions (areas I had flown in before) and found consistent virtually stutter free flying there.
Then I switched to new regions, to see what that would show me - and the stuttering returned.
I think, based on this hardly rigorous or in the least bit qualified testing, the micro-stutters could be directly related to cached scenery - or the lack thereof. Possible that folks who experience no stutters are flying over A) manually cached scenery or B) areas that are already stored in ‘rolling cache’
Maybe a test for folks to try at home: Fly a couple of flights over familiar or known cached areas - then over completely unfamiliar areas and note the difference. Special attention to be paid to this at initial spawn, during taxi at the departure airfield, at cruising altitude, and again on descent and landing at the destination, and taxi to parking/shutdown. Especially need to do all while using normal ATC and any other in flight tools or apps as you would normally do. Maybe it matters - and if it takes more than ONE flight in a region to collect ALL of the cached scenery required to make it smooth in flight, ASOBO should spell that out. My feeling is that it does - depending on the individual users’ bandwidth, D/L speed, and CPU / storage specs.
The three regions I DO usually fly over are : SandPoint to Bonners Ferry, Meigs in circuits and bumps, and Plant City FLA (100 KM diameter) with a handful of other regular but less frequent places. My best performance (low to nil stutters) occur in those three areas. Seems maybe a dozen flights in a given area is what it might take before I have smooth sailing.
Your results may differ. But I think the scenery and density (population of objects) is directly related to this issue.

AC52399,

I understand how you are feeling!
I’m a computer tech (since 1980) and have my own repair and PC build company.
The rig I built has an Intel i9900KF (running at 4.6Ghz-water cooled), an PNY Nvidia 3090 GPU
(24GB VRAM onboard), 1000W PSU, 32GB DDR4 RAM and all SSD drives.
I do run it all on a 49inch “curved” monitor and a small 17" side monitor.
I also built a “flight deck” with a lot of higher end peripherals. (YOKO yoke/throttle and Thrust Master rudder pedals, FIP’s, trim wheel…)
I get the FPS just fine, 60+, but no matter how I “tune” it I usually “micro stutter” and have deplorable rudder control.
I’m not a big fan of the flight model, the clouds are great, and the scenery can be amazing at times.
I do always feel I am fighting the controls no matter how I set them and I’ve tried 3 different rudder pedals so far.
I enjoy flying X-Plane 11 so much more in respect to actually “feeling” like I’m flying, Orbx saved the graphics, but this sim isn’t perfect either.
Sometimes this really is a frustrating hobby, I’m hoping 3rd party software makes the flight experince better for me soon…

1 Like

for me - this sums it all up…maybe for most of us. but it took most of eight years to happen in FSX - so I don’t know how ‘soon’ we’ll see it. No choice but to wait and hope for the best

Well, if the don’t fix the stutters due (I hope by now is clear) to the faulty graphics engine,
with more complex 3rd party aircraft it is only going to get worse. I tried X-plane 11 some time ago, and it was even worse. The only real flight sim out there at the moment is DCS in my opinion. Smooth as silk maxed out, and at 4K, and with a flight model far superior than MSFS…

2 Likes

AFAIK, f.e the Aerosoft CRJ uses another way to visualize the Cockpit Instruments. Due to the hard CPU tax caused by glass cockpits, this will maybe another approach to make complex 3d party aircraft more performance friendly.

I guess that 3RD party aircraft have to be programmed in the faulty graphics environment
of MSFS, so I have little hope that this will bring improvements…

I’ve been following this thread for a while, trying to fix the stutters I have as well. I’m on a gaming laptop, but I have ok specs (10875h/2080S-maxq/32Gb/NVMe) and I normally get 40-50 FPS with settings on High and a few on Ultra. My laptop is 4K so I use 70% render scale.

I get what I would call “micro stutters” since the beginning, and it’s only gotten worse. After MUCH trial and tweaking, for me at least, it’s all about the glass displays. I grabbed the Edgley Optica and did a flight in my test scenario, it was absolutely, positively, SMOOTH!!!

Incredibly frustrating, changing the glass refresh rate doesn’t seem to do anything at all for me. But flying a glass-less aircraft makes all the difference.

Not sure if this will help anyone, or affirm what others have said. Maybe I just needed to get that off my chest LOL.

1 Like

Definitely the navigation screens affects the fps frames drop. Changing Glass cockpit to LOW gives the result but turning them off completely after darkening them results in an increase of 10-15 frames more and no stutters in my sim.

I wonder why they need such a CPU load?

I agree. But my FPS was always fine. I can change my settings to get 60 FPS but there’s always this constant micro stutter unless I disable all glass screens.

We have been trying to figure out the " Every 60 second stutter " in this thread
I just flew the default Cub, which appears to have no glass displays, and the stutter was still present. The glass cockpit doesn’t affect my FPS or stutter. The 60 second stutter is the only one I get. Otherwise it is smooth.

2 Likes