MSFS 2020 Crash in VR - HP Reverb G2

Like many, I’ve been so frustrated with the CTD since the release of the VR version. My sim crashes only in VR mode with Reverb G2. I’ve done all the tricks and fixes presented on this forum and had given up.

I learned that VCRUNTIME140 error is actually CPU related and not my GPU although I get driver timeout. What happens is that CPU crashed and is no longer able to send frames to render, and GPU times out and shuts down the app to avoid BSOD or system crash.

So I decided to check the stability of my system. I run a mild 5.0Ghz overclock with XMP profile and tried removing both the OC and XMP to make sure that it wasn’t the overclock that is causing the issue. Running Linpack Extreme (Intel’s Math Kernel Library), I found out that my stock frequency was not stable with my manual voltage. It will spit out wrong residual values every loop. Now, it’s almost impossible to get 20 loops of matched residuals, but a stable system should be getting most of the calculations right. I had to adjust my VCORE and VCCIO/VCCSA (System Agent Voltage) to get the system stable.
I flew 5 or so 1-2 hour long flights (my system always CTD around 45 minutes or less) and have not crashed yet. I still believe the sim itself is extremely sensitive to any instability, overclock and crashes more than any other apps/games, but for the first time, I am beginning to enjoy the VR experience without crashing every single time.

Check your system with Linpack Extreme or IntelBurn, and see if your system will get most of the calculation right. Make sure to choose the 10GB data set and run about 10-20 loops to see if the residuals match. If you get hardware error, that’s a no-no. If your residuals are all over the place, you may want to adjust your oc or voltage (as XMP is overclocking and can create a big instability issue if the SA voltage is not sufficient).

1 Like

■■■■■ Crist! Can you post it again, but in English this time? :rofl:

1 Like

Ok, here’s another try in plain English. :slight_smile:
For all those who are running XMP profile in your bios or any form of overclock,

1. Download Linpack Xtreme.
  2. Run stress test with 10GB data set (option2 then 5). Type 20 loops, click y, y, n.
  3. Check the residual values at the end of the loop. If the residual numbers do not match, your XMP overclock is not stable.
  4. Adjust your vcore, SA voltage in the bios until you get the residuals match (15 out of 20) should be enough.
  5. Do a flight and see if it will crash.
1 Like

For the first time since receiving the HP Reberv G2, I have been able to fly over 20 or 30 minutes without a CTD.
I tried one thing that I had read, but which seemed insignificant, I installed the English language (USA)

1st flight with the last plane with which I had crashed after not even 10 minutes. (More like 5 minutes)
I was able to do a one hour flight without CTD, I could have flown longer, but the windshield froze, and I crashed in the mountains. For once I was happy to crash.
Then I did another over an hour, still without a CTD.

I found a long list of things to check in case of CTD in MSFS, I started by installing the English (United States) language. For the moment this is a good sign, now let’s wait and see what happens on several flights, and on longer durations.

@Beulah6126 I did not know this software, it is supposed to last how long this test, because it tells me very quickly that it did not detect errors

To run 20 Loops in 10GB size will take about 30 minutes. The most of instability for me was the memory. I ran memtest when I built my computer and assume it was stable as it had XMP. Linpack can spit out miscalculations for all sorts of issues such as hyperthreading mishandling, cache error and memory. Some of these errors are not critical, but I am learning that MSFS is very sensitive to memory handling.

Ok thanks, I’ll let it run then.
As I said above, the list of causes of CTD in MSFS is very long, and OC is one of them.

It seems that there is not ONE solution, but some solutions.
I couldn’t translate everything, because it’s too long, there are too many words, but as soon as I can I’ll put this list. But you may have to know her, with everything you have tried. Hopefully we will finally be able to play, without spending 90% of our time looking for solutions.

After the new update, I can’t get VR to work :(. Not exactly the same issue people are seeing here, but I just signed up so I can’t start a new thread.

Repro:

1. Start up game
  2. CTRL+TAB to start VR experience
  3. Hit space bar to center
  4. Set departure / arrival / WX
  5. Click “Fly”

Expected: I have fun playing this game in VR

Actual: Game fades to Windows Mixed Reality home screen through a bunch of exploding diamonds ~4 times and then the entire game crashes. When I take off the goggles, I can see a “VR” view of the airport and by plane, then the whole thing closes leaving me in the Mixed Reality Portal in the Googles.

VR:
HP Reverb G2 - Latest Firmware (updated today)

Machine:
Alienware
Intel i9 10900KF
32 GB RAM
Toshiba XG6 KXG60ZNV512G 512GB NVMe M.2
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080

Windows Version: 20H2 (19042.867)

Game Version:
Steam Version + Latest game updates

Event Viewer Error data:
Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 1.14.5.0, time stamp: 0x6040b612
Faulting module name: PerceptionDevice.dll_unloaded, version: 10.0.19041.746, time stamp: 0x24cb77e5
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000012f0f
Faulting process id: 0x110c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d71ee01840ff7b
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: PerceptionDevice.dll
Report Id: 17f6a312-f431-4497-bfb5-c8a91e6ea4e7
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 1.14.5.0, time stamp: 0x6040b612
Faulting module name: CoherentUIGT.dll, version: 2.9.5.0, time stamp: 0x5fc6aa59
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000013f1c3
Faulting process id: 0x41b0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d71ede6f74c3f1
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\CoherentUIGT.dll
Report Id: 7146139c-6d52-4539-93da-a4de148e08df
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Fault bucket 1467162519320776761, type 4
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: FlightSimulator.exe
P2: 1.14.5.0
P3: 6040b612
P4: CoherentUIGT.dll
P5: 2.9.5.0
P6: 5fc6aa59
P7: c0000005
P8: 000000000013f1c3
P9:
P10:

Attached files:

These files may be available here:

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 7146139c-6d52-4539-93da-a4de148e08df
Report Status: 268435456
Hashed bucket: 721514ec65e58bbcd45c6889b7e1d039
Cab Guid: 0

**** Edit /Update ***
Forgot to add:

Amount of time I had to play the game tonight: 2h
Amount of time I was able to play the game tonight given I tried a bunch of BS to try and get it to work: 0h 0m 0s
Frustration level given that every time I try to play this game (VR or not) I have to re-install / check if the servers are down, reboot, close game / restart game, etc. : 10/10 (probably 12/10, but I’ll stick to realistic scale).

Have you tried verifying game files on Steam?

this might re-install all of MSFS, be careful with that.

I just did a 3 hour flight in an A320 without CTD (I cross my fingers and touch wood …)

I have a few years of experience with games on Steam, I have not seen that it reinstalls the game completely. It will simply scan the files in the installation folder and reinstall the missing files if it cannot find them.

It will reinstall the entire game. I believe it is a bug, but I made me install the entire game.

2 Likes

this seems to be specific to MSFS. maybe because it’s still an external game with its own launcher or something like that. i heard about this problem many times on the MSFS forums, hence the warning.

Hi HeySous, I have a nearly identical hardware setup to you (3090 versus your 3080, but all else is the same) and the same version of Win10. I have had no trouble with the G2 in VR and follow the steps below to launch it.

1. Turn on PC
  2. Plug in G2 headset to power and then the WMR application auto-starts to get the G2 running…then minimize the WMR window
  3. Launch OpenXR Developer (where I have a customer render scale turned on at 100, no motion reprojection and no preview), then minimize this window
  4. Launch MSFS
  5. Select my route and start the sim (Still in 2D mode)…once on the runway and ready to take off, then I will hit Ctrl+Tab to switch over toVR…the blue diamonds come up as it’s connecting MSFS to the G2 and then the VR flight is ready to go.

A few times when I didn’t follow this order there were problems (like when plugging in the headset to power after I launched MSFS) so I tend to always go in the order above.

Have you tried to uninstalling WMR from Windows and re-installing it in the add/remove programs part of Windows? Has it ever worked for you or only recently stopped working? Also, what version of Nvidia driver are you using and have you changed any of the nvidia control panel settings for 3D applications?

I still have CTD. I’ve found something that aparently doesn’t prevent the CTD but is quite a step forward. When I turn on my HP Reverb G2 I get flickering screen and windows creates 3 more virtual Monitors… It’s anoying and the purpuse doesn’t afect me. So you can turn it of by changing a Reg key.

All Info and how to you can find here:

And here a Video on why it makes sense:

I would argue that it has improved my performance as well…

Followed your steps above and still hitting the same issue. Yes, it worked before the last update of Flight Sim. 2D flying works fine. No changes to NVIDIA settings. Haven’t uninstalled / reinstalled WMR.

NVIDIA Driver: 27.21.14.5638

Is this still working for you? I dialled back my overclock a bit, ran linpack like you suggested and got 19 out of 20 identical results and the other was still deemed a pass but MSFS crashed just as quickly as normal.

Such a ridiculous state of affairs.

Sounds like a Windows 10 default driver, you should download the Geforce Drivers from the nVidia website.

It’s been working for me. I also upped the System Agent voltage to 1.35v as I am running 2 sticks of 32GB rams for the total of 64GB. Are you running any overclock? XMP Profile? What is your system spec?

Installed the latest from NVIDIA last night and got it working for a flight. Haven’t had time to check if that was a fluke today.

Current Driver: 27.21.14.6192

Also installed / updated the Game Ready Driver: 461.92

1 Like

Was running an i5 6600kk @ 4.5GHz and 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance RAM using the XMP profile @ 3000MHz and ran the Linpack thing as suggested and it threw up a few residuals off the mark so I dialled the CPU back to 4.3GHz and the RAM to 2700MHz and ran it again which gave me 19 out of 20 matching residuals and the other was still a pass. Also zero issues with this overclock and the old one using Intel burn test.

My old overclock never caused any problems in anything else which makes it incredibly frustrating having to dial everything back to get this thing stable, let alone getting it to run well! I think I’m done with it until Asobo can pull their finger out and sort this, I’ve paid my money and shouldn’t have to jump through hoops.