MSFS 2020 Crash in VR - HP Reverb G2

With a game like Assetto Corsa Competizione, it took many months and many updates to have a game usable in VR.
You have to remember that we are beta testers. And again, we could be happy if our complaints ended up being heard and resolved, but I do not have the impression that we are going in this direction …

Glad you got it to work. I assume no more CTD after dialing your overclock down. MSFS is extremely sensitive to memory instability. What might pass as stable for one app can be totally unstable for another. If you want to keep your XMP, try upping your System Agent Voltage. That’s what. I have done to keep my ram running at XMP.

Oh no, mine still crashes constantly, probably worse than ever, that’s why I was curious if yours was still working.

Are we? I don’t remember signing up to be a beta tester or downloading beta versions of updates. The fact they’ve released something that is broken does not automatically make us beta testers!

1 Like

And what do you call it then?

It is released as a full working product. Yes it will be developed over many years and added to, but what was released now was meant to be a tested and working 1.0, not 0.5!

Hi All. So I’m quite confident that I might have solved my CTD here.

it seems that my headset went to sleep mode for some reason. Sometimes sooner sometimes later. I could not fix it 100% but it doesn’t crash anymore.

So what I did is I have disabled the sleepmode with a Reg entry:

Using "
reg add HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Holographic /v ScreensaverModeEnabled /t REG_DWORD /d 1
"
With the sleep mode disabled I did not have crashes any more. But what did happen is that my headset screens would go black sometimes. I then need to take it of and wait for about 2 - 3 Seconds and put it back on and the headset screens turn back on. But it dooesn’t go to sleep mode and does not crash to Desktop.

I will follow up on this if it really solved it.
Here is the Link I followed to find the Reg key:

You might want to make sure the headset doesn’t turn on when you don’t want it to since with this there is not sleep mode no more.

Good luck with this :smiley:

1 Like

How on earth would a headset going to sleep can cause a game to crash? Another crazy solution which (assuming it works) would show how unstable and sensitive MSFS is across so many areas.

As for XMP, any changes to that front haven’t helped my consistent CTDs as I’ve switched it off and on again, I’ve tried underclocking to 3400 with XMP on (someone in reddit claimed it’s a workaround for some cases), I’ve run Linpack script successfully with no residual errors and so on.

Funny how Assetto Corza Competizione was thrown in the discussion, as I was testing it only yesterday to see if my GPU can handle its 1440p ultra settings. Did 10 laps with no issues. At the same time MSFS will always crash upon reaching the main menu, possibly due to a GPU drive timeout error but at this point seriously doubt it’s either the drivers or the GPU/PSU themselves.

I have a AMD ryzen and a RX6900 so no XMP fo me… :smiley:

But I agree. I’ve been sorting and troubleshooting so much latly I feel like I could program it myself by now …

Already when the PC wakes from sleep, the G2 is not recognized.
I have found that if it does not move for a while, even with an airplane flying, it goes to sleep, with the image displayed in 2D. When I do flight time tests before a CTD, I put it on the table covered with a black cloth, but after a while it goes to sleep anyway.
I think if we filled in all the solutions to solve these CTDs, we could hit the moon.

Why don’t you have XMP?

1 Like

Yeah no reason to have XMP off as it effectively causes RAM modules to run at almost half their advertised bandwitdh.

Obviously if one has a very powerful machine they would probably have a lower need for RAM performance but it can still act as a bottleneck, plus if any software has an issue with utilising XMP or even crashing because of it, it’s not XMP’s problem. XMP off might be a good workaround for some cases but the focus should be on the software’s owner to fix their product.

1 Like

Got my G2 yesterday, did not finish a single flight. CTD after around 15min.
Seems like the problem is still not solved, but I have to test the newest firmware and registry tweaks.
Running RX6800 + Ryzen 7 5800X. USB and DP plugged into GPU. Seems like it’s an AMD Problem.
The Quest 2 was a big disappointment too, the video streaming capability’s of this card were horrible. But it didn‘t crash like the G2.
If it’s not running in the next days I definitely stop VR testing and continue without it.

Among other weird events that occur around a CTD itself, I have been getting one where the AMD driver has a problem and then recovers, just before the crash and then one second after the crash I get this (copied from Windows event viewer):

“Windows successfully diagnosed a low virtual memory condition. The following programs consumed the most virtual memory: FlightSimulator.exe (8008) consumed 19,657,818,112 bytes, dwm.exe (14040) consumed 21,10,881,792 bytes, and explorer.exe (6596) consumed 636,231,680 bytes.” (commas inserted by me in the numbers to make it clearer).

Now I currently have 32 GB of fast RAM, so page file memory should not be an issue, especially as I allocated 16BG to it manually.

I am going to put another 32GB of matching RAM from another PC in the house to give me 64GB and also up the page file size on all my SSDs to see what happens then. There’s no way FS should be needing to access so much page file memory…unless it has a memory leak. Oh and I’m currently using shared access memory, which I may turn off in BIOS as it actually makes MSFS perform worse in benchmarks I have seen…it may also be causing other problems.

1 Like

+1 on way more VR crashes with version 1.14.5.0.
CPU: AMD 5900X
MB: Gigabyte X570 master
Ram: 32GB
GPU: EVGA Kingpin 3090
VR: Reverb G2 (latest FW)
Currently rolled back to Nvidia 457.30 driver.

Seems like starting at some airports are worse then others. Some times when the game crashes I get the headset is asleep message even though it had just been started up a few seconds ago. I wasn’t seeing any of these issues before the latest update.

Where can you find it in Windows Event Viewer, how much memory FlightSimulator.exe has used?

Because until now, I looked in: Custom Views> Admin Events. But now I only see the name of the faulty application, no memory used.
Thank you

It was in Custom Views Administrative Events, logged by resource exhaustion detector as shown below where you can see the three events that logged that CTD.

2 Likes

Please test if an even bigger pagefile works better. Maybe 16GB is not enough.
Sounds like a memory leak as you mentioned.
We need to track the ram usage while flying in VR.

Seems the pagefile is pretty important for FS, the Sim won’t start at all if its disabled.
Tested it with 32GB RAM.

Will do, if only to see what happens, though I fear it will only delay the inevitable CTD. Still, it may give us something to report to Asobo and in my case AMD too. I’ll double it to 32GB on all three drives on my system (I run MSFS on a second M.2 drive on my motherboard). I don’t mind being a squeaky wheel that gets attention by bombarding then with log files and bug reports until this gets fixed. The wider gaming media needs to be told as well that MSFS just gets worse, stability and core sim function wise, with every “update” and is turning people off, even if the world updates look fabulous; it’s such a shame…this sim is so wonderful when it works, even more so in VR, that it needs to succeed.

You are absolutely right, as long as we stay to spend 90% of the time trying to solve these CTD problems on our own, we will continue to be frustrated.
Before making updates on the “beauty” side of the game, let them start by making sure the game works properly. And for that, bad feedback on the game in the specialized press, could push them to look at these problems of CTD.

Results of cross-tests on MSFS:

Motherboard: MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS X570
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
RAM: Corsair 32GB 3200MHz

GTX 1080 TI + Oculus Rift CV1 = 0 Crash (Over 1 month)
GTX 1080 TI + HB Reberv G2 = 0 Crash (On a day and some flights, 3 hours)
RX 6800 XT + Oculus Rift CV1 = 0 Crash (Over 1 month)
RX 6800 XT + HB Reberv G2 = Crash, Crash, and Crash

Either AMD has to update its drivers for the HP Reverb G2, or HP has to update their drivers for the AMD 5000 and 6000 series GPUs.

3 Likes

I just asked the question on a YouTube channel of a person who makes videos on MSFS with the HP Reberv G2 and an RTX 3090 if he had CTD.
A person just gave me his PC configuration and he doesn’t have a CTD

Hi, no CTD’s here running I9-9900K@5.0Ghz, 64GB Ram@ 3600 Mhz RTX3090 with HP Reverb G2

I notice it has 64GB of ram.
So these 64GB of ram, could be the solution to CTD?
Still the crash due to lack of virtual memory might well confirm it, although I did not find any messages like this on my side

EDITION: The famous Youtubeur just told me that he had no CTD with 16GB of Ram

Current System Specs:
STORMFORCE
I9 10900K (Running stock)
ASUS OC TUF RTX 3090
16GB RAM

I don’t know if we can draw a conclusion with 2 examples, but there are 2 people with Intel platforms, who do not have a CTD with RTX 3090, while DarkClown which has an AMD platform with a RTX 3090 at CTD

1 Like