MSFS 2020 on a high end rig reality

I got some time to capture what performance I will get with a delided 8700K @5.3 GHz and a RTX 2070S OC @ 2025MHZ. NVME M.2 drive. Ram DDR4 @ 3600MHZ. Resolution is set to 4K down sample to 90 render scale. And textures 6x6. Most other settings max. Both Lods set to 4.0.

Region and Server was Germany.

Conclusion: Visual graphic bad. FPS not flyable. UI lagging.

This is all related to West Server setting. With US region it is a little bit better.

your FPS is shown as “Limited by Mainthread” it has nothing to do with your GPU.
Try this one from this post. See if it helps:

It has do with MSFS 2021 and the way it uses my system. Virtualization is off since day one. I will only show that high end resolve not the bad SU5 performance situation. I need the HotFix definitely.

1 Like

I hate to break it to you, but your system is not high end. it is mid range. And you are asking a lot from it. the 8700k is quite old by now and a 2070 is not top of the line either. Super or not.

Full ultra in 4k runs very smooth on actual high end machines. Whilst mine is not at the top end of the spectrum, I have a very smooth experience with a 5800x and a RTX 3080. About 40ish frames in most scenarios with SU 5. I think your solution will have to be to dial the settings down.

9 Likes

I agree, but it isn’t the fault of MSFS. Something is wrong with your system and/or your settings. I have also the 8700k with a 1080ti and I’m able to fly ~25fps at ultra (motion blur off, glass refresh rate high) 4k. Also on West Europe server.

So you have LOD at 4.0 SuperS@6x plus some settings maxed out.You are putting a lot of burden on that 2070s.
I have a 2060S on 3440x1440 LOD 3.0 and it rarely drops below 30fps but 4K is a stretch.
Decent rig but it’s not high end.2070s is holding you back.
Otherwise lower your settings and render scale to 80.

2 Likes

Turning virtualization off just makes your system work harder not better. The newer glass gauges are made with LLVM’s which are tiny virtual machines. Also, your RDRThread is pegged which means your disk drive is thrashing along with your CPU.

1 Like

Comparing video cards in SU-5 is like comparing a heavyweight and a light-heavyweight boxer except you have to factor in they will be both fighting with their arms duct taped to their bodies.

2 Likes

Thanks alot that was the bottleneck. VM in BIOS set to on resolve all. Fluid like butter. What the heck…may it be the problem of many ? Now flying with solid 37 FPS with above settings.
Tanks also to @Pieter1982NL @MLTAVIATOR99

3 Likes

That was not my point. It is a 4 year old CPU, hobbled by its virtualisation features turned off, which are used widely in a modern environment. While it may look like you get higher cpu usage, all it does is waste heat, nothing else and then there is a 2070s that is not top of the line. Never was. Apart from its RTX features, that are not used here it always had a hard time against a 1080ti in rasterisation. So my point stands, maybe less fiddling with settings, more default and maybe more fps. In the beginning people tried their old FSX wisdom with core affinity on this new sim and shot themselves in the foot.
Now we see the same here with the crowd disabling HT, Virtualization and the like…

Midrange yep not really if I see my Benchmarks on top :joy: But your opinion. Don’t care.

You can try to tell yourself otherwise. 4 year old CPU, GPU that battles with a 1080ti for rasterisation. Both do not make a high end system.

This is FS-X, it takes advantage of next to nothing modern, his 5.3 clock speeds should be more than enough when dialed in. As for the 2070 it’s only a year older than the 3080 (both q3 even) and in MSFS the only advantage is the 3080’s 320bit memory interface vs the 2070’s 256bit, that’s where it gets it’s raw 25% advantage.

And that’s all it is here, raw power.

3rd gen rt and tensor cores, ray tracing, 4th gen bandwith and other Ampere features just arn’t being used … (yet?)

No this is not FSX. It is a different graphics and physics engine. I cannot recall FSX being able to incorporate HTML for example. It is the Forza core. And I could get my old 4770k to clock speeds even exceeding these of my 5800x. It still was no faster CPU. Instructions per cycle are a thing. And there 4 years is a real whole lot.
And just look up rasterisation benchmarks, there are a lot of scenarios (like cs go for example) where the 1080ti beats a 2070s. In all the other cases it is within 5%. So as long as nothing from the advanced features of the 2xxx series onwards are used you will only see raw rasterisation performance differences. And there an older top line card can compete with the more modern mid range. Sucks, but it is the truth.
And yes, there is very little difference between a 2080ti and a RTX3080 atm. Same thing applies here. But notice the 80? All speed gains come from what little the 3080 has over its raster performance over the 2080ti. But there is a long way between a 2070s and a 2080ti…

Jorg is on film saying it… this is FS-X base code under it all.

They didn’t build the flight sim end from scratch, they improved on it (flight model) and added the Bing wrapper. Way simpleminded explination but that’s the basic elements.

1 Like

Yes code base. But I can make a base drive a command line interface that needs 0 additional cycles or have a complex world simulation on top of it. The physics needed for the flight model do not come for free. Neither does the presentation of the world with the management of the millions of assets. And we do not want to dispute that the presentation layer of the code base has changed, do we?

ooh, what aircraft is this one please, looks good! @Pieter1982NL

looks like the new Husky

I wasted a ton of time Monday running three different video cards at the exact same settings, there wasn’t much difference between Ampere and Pascal I had to go back to Maxwell to see real degradation of performance.

(if anyone wants to send me a Turing I’ll test that too)

1 Like

As I am saying. No big difference. But there is a difference between a 2070s and a 2080ti. All I was saying is that his rig is not high end. EOM

And it is painful to watch how people who have 0 ideas about modern development (like llvm, sandboxing, physics offloading and the like) fiddle with stuff and proclaim they know better than all the engineers at AMD, intel and Asobo together. It is like witch doctors throwing chicken bones…