MSFS 2020 Performance Update for Low-End GPU's

So, as everyone knows, July 27 is the date of new performance update. Asobo will optimize CPU performance, BUT ALSO, the game will be more GPU oriented. So I want to ask something - how this will affect Low-End PC’s? RX560, GTX 1050, etc. Will there be actually an FPS drop, or the game will be better optimized anyways?

2 Likes

I’ve heard nothing about it being more GPU taxing?

1 Like

I’ve read that the glass cockpits are moving to the GPU instead of the current CPU method because the GPU is somewhat not being used to it’s fullest potential.

3 Likes

Yeah, when I was spawning in KLAX my Task Manager showed, that GPU was used, in the best case, to 75%(30-50% regularly). Also, I had to reboot PC because MSFS suddenly “freezed” my PC due to CPU overload. Tbh, if such “features” will be fixed I’m going to be even fine with several frames drops, if there will be any

1 Like

I believe they are moving it from the main CPU thread not to the GPU.

7 Likes

The news articles said, that Asobo is planning to make sim use 100% of GPU, and lower CPU usage

1 Like

That’s only a good thing, though. The reason it doesn’t already use 100% GPU is that the CPU bottlenecks and can’t feed the GPU data quickly enough.
I would not expect any performance drop anywhere at all, only gains.

Per the Dev Q&A models (and possibly textures?) have been optimized which will speed up rendering on low-end GPUs.

1 Like

Yeah, after trying to spawn several times in KLAX I’ve noticed how much CPU bottlenecks GPU(although it should’ve been vice versa). Hoping that you’re going to be right when the update will be dropped. Such a pain to love long-hauls, and not being able to spawn/land in an airports, perfect for such flights

1 Like

If they are truly going that direction (adding more GPU) I’ll be ticked.

I have headroom with my 9900k@5.2ghz and my 3060 12gb is completely knackered running full ultra 400-LOD/400-detail @5760x1080

1 Like

Crazy resolution. Is that for 3 1080 monitors?

1 Like

My 9900K runs at 5.1 but if I sit in the cockpit of the DC-6 I’m clearly MainThread limited.

1 Like

I made a test how many frames I get with various aircraft at 0AK2 Rwy 5 at ~720x576 windowed resolution on Low graphics setting (not very GPU demanding). Spawn on runway, engines running.

Ryan STA 111
BB L-19 107
Top Rudder Solo 107
AH C140 102
Asobo C152 102
Milviz Corsair 96
EA-7 Optica 95
Asobo C172 Classic 93
BB BN-2 Islander 92
JF Arrow III 90
DC-6 44

All aircraft are GPU limited except the DC-6 which is MainThread limited.

And, I have 32GB Ram and a 2080TI.

Guess it won’t do anything for me. My GPU: GTX 1080 is always running at 100% an my CPU: Ryzen 3700X at around 10%.

2 Likes

If people are already GPU limited flying the C172 with their RX560 and GTX1050, I don’t think there will be any improvement on the average FPS, probably only less stutters…

2 Likes

I don’t believe Asobo / MS at all anymore. Why?
The way they treat the previous beta testers and simply excluded them from the current beta. Is not nice. And the other thing is that the performance will surely be improved and vice versa the LOD or the graphics will be downgraded.
That’s my opinion even if I should be alone with it.
I’ve had it so slowly with the Asobo / MS promotional videos all just hyped up.
I’ll wait and see what Xplane brings to the market.

1 Like

Would you like some vinegar on those grapes?

5 Likes

Maybe they want other, new users to test the sim. That makes sense to me.

I want you to be honest and stand by what you are told. But you can also bring me grapes thanks :wink:

1 Like

Yes, that may well be the case. But then you do not promise the old testers that they are automatically included.