MSFS 2024 Features Compared With Current 2020 Wish and Buglists

One fun exercise is to go through the current Wishlist of the customer feedback and then see which features are being improved in MS 2024, at least that we know about so far.

(full current info here)

So of the the ones with over 1000 votes, just to make this more manageable a comparison:

Bugs (with 2024 column added)

RANK VOTES DESCRIPTION APPROACH 2024?
#01 1193 votes Live Weather Does Not Match Ongoing Looks Better in the demos?
#02 1162 votes Please Fix Photogrammetry and / or LOD Started (Bridges)* Yes, maybe or rather TIN etc
#03 730 votes Horizon Line Visible Through Mountains and Objects Not Planned No (yes I put a line through No, which means No)
#04 670 votes Your Bandwidth is Too Low (February/March 2023) Started (Effective AAU02) Thin Client is a wildcard in this? More bandwidth?
#05 663 votes ATC Incorrect Phraseology Under Investigation Not mentioned as yet, or of ATC at all I think?

Wishlist (with 2024 column added)

RANK VOTES DESCRIPTION APPROACH 2024?
#01 2496 votes Implement Weather and Terrain APIs for Aircraft Developers Under Investigation No mention of API as yet, but mention of aircraft devs getting ‘more control’
#02 1489 votes Improve AI Traffic at Airports and in the Air Started (Effective in SU12) Was a mention of traffic and liveries, but nothing on AI?
#03 1299 votes Replay Functionality Missing Started (Under Experimental) Not sure if mentioned, I don’t think so (other than ‘all systems will get looked at’?
#04 1172 votes Open Up The Weather System WRITE access To 3rd Party Devs Not Planned Nope still I think, as maybe all in the cloud (heh)
#05 1116 votes Scenery Gateway System – World Hub Started (Effective in SU12) On its way and I guess 2024 compat
#06 1100 votes Enhanced API to Access All Aircraft States Planned About home cockpits etc, so no mention as yet

So the major lead things of missions, performance, physics and systems revamp all sound good but didn’t make the 2020 wishlist (I guess who wouldn’t want better perf etc). The MSFS 2024 new features topic list is being gathered here - MSFS 2024 feature/improvement summary - Microsoft Flight Simulator / MSFS 2024 - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

Things like the thin client and mission structure sounds like they would help with new Xbox players, which is important for MSFS. More detailed landscapes and animals is nice but didn’t see a lot of wishing around it, at least not to attract votes.

Stuff like ATC, Home Cockpits and VR have loud representation on the forums but no real mention as yet for 2024 features explicitly.

Obviously more reveals to come, as I get the impression a lot of the design decisions around 2024 are still baking and it won’t be something that’s going to be released super soon (in 2024). At least a year away maybe?

“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.” - Henry Ford.

3 Likes

Has nothing to do with Devs having more control. It has everything to do with users being able to access all aircraft states which currently cannot be done and there was no mention of this at all.

1 Like

I see what you mean, I got mixed up. The wishlist item is here:

Enhanced API to access all aircraft state and trigger all cockpit functions - Microsoft Flight Simulator / Wishlist - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

I’ve not seen it about already as a complete collection, so here’s the actual slides used at the FlightSimExpo 2023 that have the info from the presentation, bar some video bits:

So three focuses/foci of

(1) Aviation Activity System (missions)

(2) Core Sim & Tech (thin client, physics, improved systems) and

(3) Digital Twin (landscape, trees, animals, seasons, weather, traffic).

2 Likes

I get the impression that all the new missions, weather, “thin client” etc do not actually significantly involve the basic sim engine, where many of the current problems/wishes would apply.

I have no doubt they are probably still working on them (excluding the ones they think are fixed, or are marked “not planned”), and probably their goal is to fix many for the FS2024 release. The fixes are then likely to be applied to FS2020 as well. But they will not be fixed automatically by the changes so far outlined for FS2024.

1 Like

I think if I had to pick just one thing to improve in 2024 that’s currently not so good with 2020 it would be the ground and flight physics getting an upgrade. Some of the 3rd party in the air feel ok, but often it’s probably the only thing that ‘the other sim’ does well with.

I wish they would make ATC a smart AI driven system.
Should be doable with current state of AI.

2 Likes

Yeah, it seems like ATC isn’t something mentioned yet as changed much in 2024. I’m sure they’ll fix some bugs but it didn’t make the list so far, at least in the slides shown. It would have made a good bullet point on the ‘Living World’ bit if they wanted to talk about it.