MSFS 2024 feature/improvement summary

Took some notes from the FlightSimExpo announcement about MSFS 2024:

Biggest sim ever made, 500 people working on it. 2020 reached the limit technology wise, hence the new edition. Three focus areas were mentioned:

Focus 1: Aviation Activity System

• As seen in the 2024 announcement trailer, accurate sim/aviation representation, working with organizations/experts in these areas

Focus 2: Core Sim & Technology

• Thin client, less to download, faster loading times, helps keep min specs low

• New physics and aerodynamics engine

• Massive performance improvements, multi-threaded

• More control for aircraft creators

• Backwards-compatible (community folder still there)

• Updated systems (electrical, pneumatic, fuel and hydraulic)

• Failure, wear and tear system

• Payload and passenger system overhaul

• Deeper and wider avionics packages

Focus 3: Digital Twin

• Terrain PG 15 cm (like Grand Canyon in the 2024 trailer), 50 cm “2D to 3D” where you there is no PG, using sat data (like Kilimanjaro in the 2024 trailer)

• Enhanced tree diversity

• Improved cliffs

• 3D tessellated ground materials

• Improved ground details

• Full seasons

• Aurora borealis, tornados improved storms

• Animals herds and migration

• World live ship traffic

• Accurate live traffic + more real liveries

• Improved vehicle traffic

Source: Microsoft Flight Simulator Presentation from FlightSimExpo 2023 - YouTube

Wow! Blown-away with all this, huge improvements, hype is real!

106 Likes

Here is the video

13 Likes

This is huge!

1 Like

Really wish they had talked about weather improvements.

22 Likes

They did, kinda…

1 Like

nah just said adding tornados, nothing about the weather model or depiction.

2 Likes

They said better storms if that counts.

2 Likes

They will be talking about it more in the future. They only had like 20 minutes to present and it wasn’t enough to cover most of the stuff.

2 Likes

You need to make pretty big updates to the weather simulation if you are going to physically simulate a tornado.

7 Likes

Well you’ll get storms, supercells, which is an improvement

4 Likes

My notes/qoutes:

Massive core sim improvements coming, thinner client/install (moving more of their stuff away from our machines to the cloud).

Much more multi-threaded, and various other performance improvements.

All new physics and aerodynamics engine with much more control for aircraft developers to define aircraft surfaces/geometry to make full use of the flight dynamics (this is music to my ears!)

Even re: missions they are going to be realistic aviation activities and focus in on all the details, i.e. for ballooning the inflation and deflation of air going in/out is actually simulated, the balloon is a collection of smaller surfaces getting same treatment from core physics engine.

And much more detailed digital twin earth using new tech, improved ground details and tesselation, enhanced 3D trees and tree diversity, improved cliffs/mountains/etc due to DEM resolution.

Full seasons, aurora and northern lights, tornadoes, supercell storms and overall improved storms, etc (all simulated).

Worldwide live ship traffic, accurate live air traffic, improved vehicle traffic, more animals diversity and migrations, etc

"Our biggest sim ever made, over 500 people on it "

And full compatibility with existing add-ons including community folder (though I imagine all devs will be clamoring to enhance and/or redo their products to take advantage of new features).

16 Likes

Jorg: MSFS 2024. NOT A GAME… not making game type missions. Making active aviation activities true to real life pilot lifestyles. Working with real companies. That’s why it’s good to wait and hear straight from the horse’s mouth. It appears they are really going for it with MS 2024.

43 Likes

This was my biggest worry when I heard it was backwards compatible. You don’t want the technolgy to be constrained by the requirements of the past. But it sounds like they’ve done a good job of enabling the improvements they want whilst still supporrting the older models.

1 Like

One thing I noticed, to add to the list, is that the air traffic placeholder was a FR24 screenshot :wink: maybe they partner with them now on the new version:

9 Likes

Keynote Presentation video is now on YouTube - FlightSimExpo 2023:

Official Discussion thread here:
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/microsoft-flight-simulator-presentation-at-flightsimexpo-2023/598031

17 Likes

Im really curious about the coverage of the terrain PG and the 2D to 3D terrain. They can’t be using this everywhere, right? Hope there’s a lot of it and not Jin a few ust select places.

Overall this all sounds amazing though!

3 Likes

Acticity or Activity?

Impressive updates, I look forward to MSFS 2024!

10 Likes

Hopefully working windshield wipers and tire friction are going to come in 2024. I want to know.

10 Likes

Focus 2 is all I needed to see, sign me up! More frames for VR!

3 Likes