MSFS 2024 | What we know so far

Then it is clear now, thnx Matt!

That 2 circles at screenshot for transatlantic flight says all…

Yeah, and hopefully, do the reverse, that is, send takeoff and wind data to the FMS where appropriate.

Well I’m as excited as everyone else and I stayed up to watch last night.
My problem is that I worry a lot particularly for my poor i7 10700 and 3080. They sweat a lot with the current sim.
I know this is supposed to run on xbox but at what kind of performance. Last nights demo certainly wasn’t xbox or a lowly i7 10700.
I’m not going to be able to justify a new PC to the wife she’ll go ape.

The new Flight Planning appears (my guess) to be NavBlue Charts. NavBlue is a real world navdata supplier owned by Airbus, and the source of MSFS navdata. But they never had charts available for simmers. Everyone uses Navigraph, with real world data from Jeppesen (Boeing).

Some planes, like PMDG, use Navigraph navdata (which requires a subscription if you want to keep it up to date).

I use Simbrief and Navigraph for flight planning and airport charts, so this will be an interesting comparison.

Out the gate, I am expecting yes. There will be the few airports where everyone is walking around instead of being frozen in time, have passengers loading without GSX (since it involves spawn points being setup, so default airports wouldn’t have that), have the detailed ground services, etc

Over time, developers will upgrade their prior entries to the new standard, and probably surpass that. But yes, for the first 6 months, I imagine these airports will see a lot of use.

1 Like

I really hope they have hangar management. About 1/3 of the wall of aircraft in my hangar now are only there for the possibility and requirement of MP model matching and traffic. And I have a whole bunch of planes that have 4+ variants. I hope at least those get a drop down. My mouse wheel is pretty much polished smooth from scrolling.

Especially if you’re a fan of Rans or Savage or Ziln, cripes.

Carenado baked their name into the aircraft, which was a smart move. We’re lucky it’s not like the phone book(this was actually a thing, younger fliers) where developers would be named AAA Aircraft.

3 Likes

That is a really good point.

I’m staying positive that we are going to see a massive UX revamp, if the Flight Planner is anything to go by.

The new flightplanner alone will make me buy this. But what I’m most excited about, is that the endless bickering about the fLiGhTmOdEl and pHySIcs lImiTaTiOnS will finally stop and that we’re getting worldwide obstacles database, 3d ground, cirrus clouds and better skylighting + seasons, real time worldwide ships and all helipads and oilrigs worldwide. Biggest and most advanced flightsimulator ever created. I can’t wait to buy.

4 Likes

And uniquely it will be one of the few times in gaming history where you’ll end up with better performance without touching the case screws. One could argue similar to a console life cycle experience.

2 Likes

I just recalled that we will finally have aircraft-specific control bindings.

How nice will that be?!

6 Likes

For sure. Although on PC the TB V1 is better with independent quad/yoke separate setups. When I was on xbox it took a notable amount of time to find a specific profile. I thought it was a bad thing at first having to re-do them. Although I sure hope you can drop-kick in a profile to tweak :grimacing:

Ugh, I’m stuck on the laptop here, my daughter did extra summer schoolwork so she could play Avatar on my setup downstairs. Of course MSFS and F1TV Pro are on that setup. I guess I’m going to go mow.

Ha, me too. Openreach are digging roads locally, and they just keep giving me politicians answers about when FTTP will come. 2026 according to the Openreach checker… :sleepy:

I’m just going off grid on the day of release, no one will have access to the internet. I need all the bandwidth I can get. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

There is another presentation today at 12:30 pm Vegas Time (19:30 UTC) about the new Marketplace

1 Like

Right, we will hopefully see further UX changes in that presentation.

Did they say anything about 2020 and 2024 sharing the same airspace? I’m halfway through the keynote and haven’t heard anything mentioned yet.

If they share the same airspace and can see each other, it will let folks upgrade/switch on their own schedules.

If the arenas are separate, and I can see reasons why that might be necessary but don’t know that’s the case, 2020’s world will drain significantly day 1. Multiplayer pilots in 2020 will feel like they woke up in Steven King’s The Langoliers…

Yes “about 2 years” was what BT said last year and no visible progress at all locally. Lol. I’m having fashbacks to FS2000 multiplayer on a 56k dial up modem. When I might have been living in the only area in silicon valley (where I lived at the time) that didn’t have a broadband conenction. lol.

I want to know if NOTAMs will have any sort of effect in the sim. Lighting being out, runways being closed, etc. Otherwise, why the fuss?

1 Like

I’m very optimistic about so many developments mentioned yesterday. As to this, specifically, I’m hoping they can integrate Jeppesen charts (or NOS for US airports), otherwise we’re still going to be working around it to use real charts.

1 Like

MSFS licences NavBlue nav data (real world) and make it available for free in the sim - free to users, and free for developers to access in their planes (this is how a flight plan from the world map can be imported in to the FMC of the default planes, and how the MSFS ATC knows where you are, etc.)

MSFS isn’t going to pay for a 2nd licence for Navigraph, but you can do that yourself (as many do) for charts, flight planning and so on, and, some developers prefer to use Navigraph nav data in their planes. So you have a choice.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the charts are provided by one of the not yet disclosed partner companies. Could be either Navigraph or NavBlue (which was sort of promised to be the supplier of integrated charts in the 2020 version somewhere after launch if I’m correct).

When the tool was presented the guy quickly navigated away from the charts section without mentioning anything. So I think there is going to be a surprise partner company that will finally provide us with integrated charts into the base sim.

1 Like