MSFS 2024 | What we know so far

You never know. Seems like many who bought the Premium version ultimately said it wasn’t really worth it. I bought Standard because the Premium/Deluxe versions didn’t seem worth it to me and I never regretted it. Seems like the best benefit that came from it was when they eventually gave discounts to their local legends/famous flyers. So maybe they’re rethinking that.

Of course, they did mention “base sim” a lot, which probably implies there will be more versions. I guess we’ll find out eventually. Maybe they will make the P/D versions more worth it this time around. Regardless, I think it’d be really hard for me to justify spending the expected $140 for a Premium version no matter what comes with it to be honest. With all of the issues we continue to face with MSFS2020, I don’t think that’s an investment I’d want to make going forward.

4 Likes

$140 is a bargain for the 2000+hrs I’ve got out of it. I just hope it isn’t gamepass only.
I am also concerned about install size. Given my limited broadband coupled with slow for 1.5 years now sim downloads, I could do with starting to download it now so I can use it in November.:smile:

7 Likes

I wonder if the “base sim” will be exactly that: the sim itself, plus any included aircraft and airports. If that is the case, an upgraded version of the sim package might include all the activities and career mode functions?

As someone who bought the Premium Deluxe version of the sim, in retrospect I probably misspent the upgrade money. But even so, I have enjoyed the steam gauge version of the C172; I flew into and out of a lot of the hand-crafted airports which were substantially better than the auto-gen versions; and especially over the last year or so since WT started the AAUs, I’ve really enjoyed flying the 787. And I have taken advantage of a few Marketplace discounts since Jorg implemented that program. So maybe it wasn’t a total waste but not sure on the whole it was worth it. It will be interesting to see how things shake out on pricing and options this time around.

1 Like

All games on gamepass are available to purchase to “own” at anytime. Not sure where this rumor came from but it’s completely false. It’s going to be on Steam day one as well…

6 Likes

I’m very exited over the new planning feature! This is a gigantic leap forward! I took a few screen shots from the presentation, sorry for the poor resolution. They did not show all things and there are a ton of questions:

• Will this make SimBrief obsolete?
  • Are charts really included or only a few important ones?
  • Is there a new flight plan format or are the pln and flt formats extended?
  • How will it integrate with aircraft?
  • Will all default aircraft be able to read a new flight plan?
  • Will third party aircraft be updated to support this tool?
  • Will it include number of passengers be an option?
  • Is there a takeoff calculator or is it only showing general runway information?
  • … and so on forever :grinning:

5 Likes

The problem that made it “not worth it” as the planes were not of a fidelity, and the handcrafted airports left a lot to be desired.

They had Working Title work some magic on a few of the planes. But 2020 they went in with an attitude that they had to do it all. Slowly the concept of business partners making content for them became more prevalent.

What you got with premium and deluxe before was akin to something you could have gotten as freeware. Now, they have business partners making planes and airports. The quality will be lots higher. The bar has been raised. So if it was 5 additional 3rd party planes you got with each tier now, depending on what they were and how they appealed to you, this time it could make much more sense investing in the tiers.

4 Likes

So we will get worldwide Lido chart coverage in MSFS 2024. And there is now an offer from AviaPlaner for Lido charts with an annual subscription fee of 29 $. Could this mean this will be integrated into 2024 as a subscription offer? Just speculating.

Haha, don’t get me tempted now. I did notice a specific mention of hiking trails being accurately represented in the Sim, maybe that’s something I might consider trying out :sweat_smile:

1 Like

The tiers made sense when FS2020 launched because there wasn’t much of an ecosystem and that allowed you to see just about all planes in the sim properly and not be substituted. It obviously got you more planes at a time when that’s about all there was. And it got some nice airports. That got changed up pretty quick as 3rd parties started publishing good aircraft and sceneries.

Now it really comes down to value. With the ability to use 2020 aircraft, most will start out the gate with hangers full of planes. If they go with tiers, they will need to do something to make them appealing in some way. Historic, pivotal, value, or whatever. There’s not near the same reasons to buy higher tier sim levels.

2 Likes

To me it is like this,

that promises from year 2020 about integrated charts from NAVBlue data will be finally available in new sim 2024, with WTT work and free inside sim as standard.

Or? :slight_smile: I see there Charts on left pain but really as other things - not clear. So that screenshots are from flight or just new World menu planner? :slight_smile: Or only Simbrief import FPL?

Really impressive what they have cooking for 2024. Looks like there’s a lot of extra processing going on now to make all that grass and the trees wiggle, people walk, etc.

That will spin CPUs up more and generate more heat. Might be a good time to blow out dust and double check that your cooling is adequate.

But 2024 is looking amazing and I’m ready for it! Asobo hit this one out of the park IMO.

Has there been any mention of offline ai in msfs2024?

I do hope you are right. Just looking at the discussion amd seeing the speculation about maybe/maybe not deluxe editions etc. So maybe the base price is $140. Will be intereting to see.

Another interesting point to me is that they look like are upgrading the Gaya star airports, so what’s interesting is that in current sim many star airports were included only in deluxe and premium editions. I don’t however see that as being a selling point any more since we’ve mostly all been buying replacements already.
Question now is what will drive a deluxe/premium edition sale if there is one?

And will these upgraded Gaya airports be detailed enough or add or support something more feature wise than what we already have with 3rd party.

It’s all a bit open to speculation, and it will be interesting to see where it ends up.

Let’s try answering/guessing together, using logic and common sense :slight_smile:

• Will this make SimBrief obsolete?
    Hardly, as long as X-Plane exists, for example. Also, we will have to compare accuracy, especially in fuel calculations, correct runway selection based on weather/real ATIS data, etc.
  • Are charts really included or only a few important ones?
    It would be highly illogical to assume that only important ones are going to be included. A real question is if they will require a subscription fee from us as end-users (I think not).
  • Is there a new flight plan format or are the pln and flt formats extended?
    Again, logic dictates that using new format would break compatibility with lots of third party aircraft currently relying on these formats, so highly unlikely that they will change the format.
  • How will it integrate with aircraft?
    I think, that avionics such as Garmin units, Honeywell Primus, GNS and other units (if there are other units in the sim) will support route import natively. Also, I would like to think that as tablets are promised to be included in every aircraft, this same interface would be integrated inside these tablet units.
  • Will all default aircraft be able to read a new flight plan?
    If not, why would they bother to develop something like this ? :slight_smile:
  • Will third party aircraft be updated to support this tool?
    Probably, yes, however not all, that is the most likely variant.
  • Will it include number of passengers be an option?
    Seems like it, in the “payload” section.
  • Is there a takeoff calculator or is it only showing general runway information?
    Could be in the “performance” section, but we will have to wait and see…
2 Likes

We’ve all completely glossed over Working Title developing the Primus Epic 2.0 avionics suite they showed at the end of the WT introduction during the keynote.

That will be pretty interesting to see integrated, and into which aircraft.

2 Likes

Makes me wonder what a developer like SWS will do? They were supposed to develop the NGX and code the Honeywell Primus Epic 2.0 from scratch. Seems it may be a waste of time now (they might go the Blackbird ATR route altogether).
At least, they will definitely continue to improve the Legacy model.

1 Like

Here’s what Matt says just now:
Hello everyone!

Thanks to all who tuned in to the MSFS 2024 Developer Update at FSExpo, both in-person and via the live stream. The response was, as always, super humbling, and we’re just incredibly thrilled and happy to continue to be part of this crazy journey in flight simulation with you all, as part of the Microsoft Flight Simulator development team.

For those folks that missed our announcements at the update, here’s a recap of what we said:

For years, flight simmers have had to rely on tools outside of the simulator to plan their virtual flights – especially complex flights. For our team of simmer/developers this presented a huge opportunity for innovation and we’re incredibly proud to tell you that with Flight Simulator 2024, that’s going to all change.

We are bringing a full-featured flight planning tool to Flight Simulator: get ready for a Foreflight-like experience directly within the simulator!

The new flight planner will be accessible across platforms, both inside and outside the sim – so you can pre-plan a flight on your browser, tablet or even your phone. If you prefer, you can also build and monitor your plan inside the virtual cockpit. Not only can you plan your flight, but you can monitor progress in real time on the map, both inside and outside of the sim.

The flight planner includes tons of features, but here are a few that we’re really looking forward to:

• Graphical and text-based route planning
  • Fuel and payload planning
  • Vertical profile planning
  • ETOPS planning
  • Typical briefing information, like weather, NOTAMS and airport information.
  • …and of course, CHARTS

The map features VFR and IFR views, including procedure overlays and charts. We are also providing both VFR- and IFR-focused nav logs, and customizable OFPs. The flight planning tool will be available across platforms, including PC and Xbox, web browsers and mobile devices – we think you’re going to love it!

Finally, one more thing: we know many of you saw the FS 2024 trailer earlier this month and that prompted some discussion about the avionics for the included aircraft. We are excited to announce that one of the avionics platforms we have built for Flight Simulator 2024 is the Primus Epic 2. This modern suite will not only be available in the PC-12 NGX, but just like all our other avionics systems, it will also be available to developers via the avionics framework for third-party aircraft inclusion.

We’re looking to share more about this exciting feature of MSFS 2024 as the year rolls on! You can also catch the screenshots we shared at FSExpo in <#765379847031226419>, for an even better look.

Fly safe everyone!

5 Likes

The future sounds exciting for sure :slight_smile:
The only thing I am still aching about is the weather :frowning:

I’m dying to know more about ATC.

5 Likes

The great thing about an ingame flight planner is, that it should be able to read all the performance numbers directly from the aircraft (fuel, range etc.).

2 Likes