MSFS Application Error - memory could not be read

so… finally landed without error massage.
What did i do since yesterday:
I noticed that there was in windows update that causes an framework.net problem.
Solved this, via google search for: Win 11 KB5012643. Its just activiating and deactivating to things.

I reinstalled my graphics driver. Today a new nvidia driver was shown in geforce expierience.
Changed the page file size to “let windows manage” (i think it has nothing to do with the problem, because i have 64gb ram installed.

What i noticed: Since today i got a new window after clicking the MSFS desktop shortcut. Never had that before.
It shows a splashscreen with a TBM on it and in the lower right corner it says what it is doing, like “sync cloud data” ; launching… with a spinning circle.

Did exact the same flight then yesterday, no more “cant read memory” error . all went smooth.

I have these same freezes and from time to time rarely this memory error, I have too a 12900k+3080ti+2X16GB DDR5, and nothing has worked for me, last, a new W11 install yesterday.

I had the same issue here today about memory that cannot be read. The only change I made to my PC was to update the nVidia Drivers on my system and to install the Realtek Sound and Network drivers.

I uninstalled them and now MSFS is running perfectly. I think something in the Realtek drivers must have upset the FS, because it was supposed to speed up the system.

If you have a Realtek chipset in your PC, then I will recommend starting there and uninstall those drivers first and then see what happens.

I hope someone finds this helpfull.

I can reproduce this error now, when I take off from ZSPD 35R and take AND91D as the departure procedure, when I reach the point of AND, it will give an error saying “This memory cannot be read”.

I also have this problem.
There are several patterns for this problem.

One occurs on the menu screen and so on.
This is not reproducible. It’s completely random.But it doesn’t happen that much.
It may be related to the sound mentioned here.

About another problem
I have succeeded in reproducing it. This is the “memory read” that occurs during the flight. This is simple. Occurs when using a lot of RAM.

Use a lot of add-ons and set the graphics settings to ultra.
For example, I fly Paris, London and Tokyo on a C172 (a plane with a wide field of view) at 2000ft or 3000ft.
Surprisingly, the slower the flight speed, the higher the incidence.
Switch the viewpoint like crazy, also switch the zoom. Airplane instruments, distant buildings, roads under the plane.
Increase the memory usage while looking at the task manager. Load memory as much as possible. And this problem occurs when the memory exceeds a certain amount of usage.
If your PC is powerful or has low graphics settings, this issue is less likely to occur.
Big airport, big city, lots of traffic, lots of ground workers, slide all settings to the right

This problem occurs with high graphic settings. Occurs when loading a large number of scenery slowly.
For example, low speed at landing, low altitude, Heathrow Airport, London buildings.
Besides, RJTT using Enhanced Tokyo, Japan 1 and 2 of Flightsim.to.

If it becomes possible to reproduce with high probability, back calculation will be performed.

Find a setting that does not cause a “memory read” in that test.
Add-ons and graphic settings.
Slide the Terrain Level Of Detail to the left with fewer add-ons.
This is not the ultimate solution.
This is a temporary measure to prevent problems.
But it does prevent the desktop from crashing at the end of a few hours of flight.

The simplest solution I can do right now.
At the end of the landing checklist “Graphic settings to lowend”

1 Like

Can’t comply with that. Just read my post above.
I did exact the same flight, same time, same condition, aircraft, addons etc…
AND the complete same settings! 4K all on Ultra, also with an Nvidia Profile to push the 3090 to its limit. (Higher AA and SS, no framelimiter)

I had the error yesterday, i changed few things, just look in my post above.
Today the error was gone.

So it does not compare to the resolution and settings you have.

I guess it’s caused by, either an Windows error causes the page file not be cleared, (what I don’t think, because I use 64GB ram and don’t need the page file) , or the graphics card driver not clean installed or strewed up by updates from Win11/10, the sim or Nvidia itself.

Edit: or the Realtek audio drivers.

I read this article before.
In my case I tried it but it didn’t work.

I have 12900KS, 3090Ti, 64GB of RAM.
Until now it has been easy for me to fly 4K Ultra settings.
But now I get an error …

I’m glad your problem is solved.
I will review it again.

As pointed elsewhere, a Memory read error referencing all 0’s or all F’s indicate that the Application has attempted to read from a non existent memory address. This is a fault with FS2020’s memory handling. Perhaps some Dev can grab the instruction references and attempt to understand what is doing on?

Such a shame, I was enjoying flying the PMDG 737

Intel i7 12700KF
Z690 Aorus Pro
RTX 2070 Super
32GB RAM DDR4 3600MHz
W11 Pro

1 Like

Have this Mem could not be read since SU8 and SU9 beta. This time, crashed in 38mins after take off. Sometimes, it crashed just in main menu.

Your game crashed almost the same time as mine. See the chrono, mine was 38 mins in a 737.

1 Like

Nothing has worked, even disabling the inbuild Realtek usb sound card in the z690 BIOS, its driver has problem because I never could play the DTS and Dolby Digital sound test in properties, always crash after a pair of tones.

I am convinced of this big problem is from Microsoft w11-w10 that had always problems of memories leakages etc. probably, and we can´t do nothing, only developers doing their work, if not, I am going to begin to think in a conspiracy against us.

Incredible that this is not under investigation and trying to solve it asap.

I’ve had this happen on Win 10 and Win 11 systems, Intel and AMD CPus, Nvidia and AMD GPUs… it’s fundamental to Flight Sim 2020, not the OS/Hardware.

I will time a flight and see if it’s after 38 mins. It feels about right. However, I fly bush trips. Once I experience this error on a leg, the error returns on that leg very quickly, normally within 5-10 mins of attempting to restart the flight. If I go back, re-fly the previous leg, and then continue, sometimes it remains stable and I can complete the leg. Sometimes it’s just broken and I have to do something else.

The crash time is quite random. The sim managed to fly for over 4 hours untill it crashed the last time I try to fly a BBJ. Somebody told me that SU9 change the rendering logic quite a bit, but Asobo did not say anything about those changes. They really need to come up with a logger to help both developers and gamers identify which causes crash.

1 Like

Not had this problem for a little while. I got it this time on approach to EIDW after a short hop from EGCC in the 737.
Slightly different this time though. On previous occasions I’ve had to ok the message as I couldn’t do anything else consequently crashing out. This time I was able to move the message box into the corner and land successfully.
Microsoft don’t even seem to have acknowledged this as a problem which makes it even more annoying.

Yeah I recall that the previous time I had this message I could move the message box and continue the flight. This time I couldn’t do that - even though the message was the same

Guys, have you tried DX12 mode? I just recalled that, Asobo will introduce DLSS and FSR in June, as well as DX12 support. Is there a possbility that SU9 is already making changes for porting to DX12, and these changes lead to DX11 mode goes wrong? I’ll check myself with overnight test, will tell you if that works.

Hmmm. Same memory could not be read error message as I posted above, different aircraft/bush trip, 37 Mins and 40 seconds flight time on the stop watch…

I have tested DX12 and I find performance and stability worse on that Mode. To the point of continual CTD’s in Menu/prior to flight.

Yes, sure that there isn´t only one culprit.