MSFS Application Error - memory could not be read

I would recommend a different memory testing tool, as the Windows one can easily miss some errors. Memtest is a good one, plus many others.

True but reasonably confident thereā€™s no issues with my memory. No other applications or games play up on my system.

Hi everyone, in my case, looks like I solved the issue (experienced that thousands of times) by selecting monitor as audio device on FShud, I started to have that issue after installing it. You may try to solve by changing a different audio device on msfs. Hope this can help!

thats not uncommonā€¦ I personaly knew cases where specific RAM worked fine in a board in ā€œtwo stick configurationā€, but not with ā€œfour-stick-configurationā€ ( and thats without OC :slight_smile: ). As former @ncbartschi mentioned there is a differenceā€¦ Which board you own and have you checked the compatibility list to be sure that the sticks are mentioned ? There are many factors, like: ryzen or intel , dual vs quad , amount of banks (rank) , etcā€¦ ( and of course 2vs4 in generaly for the mem-controller )

as mentioned, we read that often. But have you checked which application realy use the memory like MSFS or indirectly ā€œwhile MSFS is runningā€ ? All the streaming data goes through the system-cache (standby) and if I flight a while my memory is full - not with working data, with Standby-Data (which can freed ). I not see such amount of RAM usage in other games,ā€¦ okayā€¦ maybe in ArmA where I record the 4hours game-sessions in 4K :rofl:

This has been said many times in this thread. If your memory passes all the stress tests you have stable memory.
Dodgy memory will cause crashes in just about any program using the PC (including the OS) and invariably a BSOD and not a graceful program exit.
This error is almost certainly caused by a software bug which may be in MSFS or some other windows code that MSFS uses. The code is trying to read from a memory location which it is not allowed to access (or doesnā€™t exist). This may even be a coding error in the Windows OS memory /virtual memory management area as Iā€™ve seen may internet reports that fixing the page file size (instead of leaving it automatically managed) has fixed these type of problems for some (and where the same error was occurring in other programs and not just in MSFS)

1 Like

Iā€™m not new to building PCā€™s. Iā€™ve been building them since Athlon 700ā€™s all those years ago. Im very meticulous to selecting the correct parts to build balanced systems. Yes the memory is on the compatibility list. One of the first things i look at. CPU/MOBO/RAM compatibility. Iā€™m not convinced this is all down to hardware. Something else is at play here.

hmmā€¦ I not mentioned anywhere that you have no idea what you do :flushed:

I assume you still use AMD and in special these cpuā€™s works different in 2 vs 4 banks ( buts its usually same for intel cpus ). More in special its memory controller which is, we remember, OCā€™ed with XMP mode too and where the big-google is full of reports that the system can handle 2banks with XMP fine, but not 4banks ( feelt more often amd ). And there are the same sympthoms and the same ā€œmemory could not be readā€ error messages reported. And I understand your post in that way, that you not disabled the XMP mode. Therefore was my question about your hardware and not to say that you have no idea :slight_smile:

But also yes,ā€¦ we can never exclude an issue caused from the game. But then still the question: why only some rare users ( compared with overall ) get these error ? :slight_smile:

PS: possible is also, as we also mentioned, strange driver issues which are also hard to find. While ago I got BSODs , randomly (not in-game !) and I canā€™t remember what I did. At the end I found it - Bluetooth. My realtek bluetooth driver caused that and then I also remember what I did: I enabled BT which I had former mostly disabled. I reinstalled the BT driver and all was fine againā€¦ strange things happensā€¦

Well in my case I pinned it down to a combination of unstable XMP and factory overclocked GPU. That really doesnā€™t fully explain why I only get this type of CTD in MSFS and not anything else Iā€™m using my computer for.

1 Like

that I tried to explainā€¦ in post aboveā€¦ the amount of used RAM and the frequency ( is may be not the correct word ) of usage.

But your case was at the end nearly clear :slight_smile:

Yes. The thing to be mindful of, is while XMP in theory should work, itā€™s not always like this in practice. Even though the memory is listed as supported by the motherboard. Sometimes updating to the latest BIOS can fix it, sometimes not.

Tricky situations seems to include using all 4 sticks + XMP. And in particular with DDR5, XMP and 4 sticks might not boot at all. Or give random errors in Windows.

1 Like

So I went from 4 x 16GB running XMP to 1 x 16GB with XMP turned off running 2133MHz. I thought it was going well, but on approach to YMML below, it froze and CTD.

Thatā€™s a pity. Perhaps run Memtest86 on the one module, just to be sure. Another thing is to check if your GPU is overclocked.

I havent overclocked it, although it may be a factory overclocked 2080ti from memory.

Best to check, e.g. with GPU-z. Compare it to founders edition 2080ti specs. I had to downclock the GPU core by 165MHz in order to be stable.

1 Like

I assume these vcruntime.dll is a different thing. It comes often from GPU, but some times also from the G1000 mod, or others ( we have some topics in meanwhile where users report issues while approach, also in special YMEN. )

Thus I assume changing the installed RAM sticks, helped also in your case. What I assume is, in special if the mainboard compatibility listed your RAM, that 4 sticks without xmp should work. The issue comes often with is the xmp mode ( but some times also not, as mentioned ). What you can try is to manually set memory parameters which are a bit lower than the xmp mode, may be that will work.

Can you share your RAM-profiles, e.g. with ā€œcpu-zā€ in tab SPD ? Max JEDEC is 2666 and I assume that should work. Also donā€™t expect to much from RAM speed. You will may be notice 5-10 more fps from 2666 to 3600 , but it depends on resolution etc. . So you can may be think about how much sense it makes to tune from e.g. 2666 to 3200 , compared with the possible trouble you get :slight_smile:

My apologies, i didnā€™t mean to insuate you had.

Indeed. Usually running four sticks with an XMP overclock might require a modest bump in memory controller voltage for stability. For Ryzen 3000 and 5000, usually running DDR4 at 3600 Mhz requires a VSoc around 1.1v for stability with four sticks, and sometimes even with two sticks for picky memory controllers.

1 Like

Have underclocked GPU. I will run it like that for the day to see how it performs.

Good luck! And let us know how it goes.

And guys, I donā€™t think debug mode in NCP is the way to go. I still get the CTDs. Besides it will reset to default after each reboot. Perhaps better to use Afterburner.

but dont forget, it might be also an issue in-game :slight_smile: ( and better we should not come out-off-topic with that vcruntime.dll CTD. The main thing seems fixed - the ā€œmemory could notā€¦ā€ issueā€¦ and here another example with same error message as you reported. You can try whether it happens for you also allways at same spot. I tried your location and had no isssus, but I used a stock 172. )

1 Like