MSFS Application Error - memory could not be read

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Yes, since the steps are essentially just playing the game.

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

The error seems to happen randomly, I’ve gotten it roughly every other time I play for more than 2 hours.

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

N/A

My specs:

• CPU: 5800X, no OC or tweaks
  • GPU: GTX 1080 FE, limited to 1316MHz at 700mV due to temperature
  • RAM: G.Skill Aegis, 2x16GB, DOCP/XMP at 3200MHz, I might set it to stock to see what happens.
  • SSD: Samsung 850 I believe, has enough space on it.

What I see is that most PC’s here are overclocked, mostly just the RAM though, so maybe that increases likeliness of the error happening, or it’s just a coincidence. Either way, it’s frustrating to practice more takeoffs than landings…

Mine is not overclocked. It is a brand new PC. And I say it again: it is a shame how they treat customers. A shame.

1 Like

well, I will not restart the discussion about XMP mode, and what it is ( also in special related to DDR5 ).
We gave some hints about that, which helped some users, just read. But as mentioned, there are also user-reports which mention they no longer get this issue in SU10beta and so may be the users which see that message get helped in the next days where SU10 should arrive us. But be aware: it is still not clarified whether it is a game issue or a system issue , also because only some users see that error message and others never.

And, if you had read former posts you might know that we ask for the info: Steam or MS-Store installation ?

I don’t use XMP, I don’t think it’s necessary to overclock DDR4 memory. It’s plenty fast enough, in my (albeit relatively limited) experience. So I imagine DDR5 is more than adequate.

dont understand me wrong. XMP is not bad in general and usually it should work, in special if RAM is listed in QVL. But it can cause trouble, it depends on so many factors. And for DDR5 , where the limits are much smaller, it is more important to at least have that in mind. Some users simple choose a manual setting, where they choose a tiny slower ‘speed’ than the recommendation from xmp-profile and issue was gone. All of that is mentioned in existing posts within this thread here.

Also in case it was at the end not the solution, it can be an easy and quick test to disable XMP and see whats happen.

What we all hope for affected users: it is a strange issue within the application which let it happen only on some special configurations and a fix is coming with next update. But we are not sure, in special because we have screenshots where this error-message is shown while MSFS was not running :slight_smile:

PS: and the other stuff users should also have in mind, as example usage of tools like ReShade.

Thank you for your reply, MichaMMA. I have XMP mode dissabled. I know all that about SU10beta, but this is not the point. The point is that we have this issue since I do not remember when, but more than 4 months ago at least. And people from MSFS have not solved it. We’ll see when they release SU10.
BTW none of my other games have this problem with memory. None! nor FPS degradation depending on the time you play.

1 Like

Hey guys,
I’m running MSFS on a mid range laptop.
I purchased a £1 trial of PC Game Pass and downloaded MSFS. I was loving it so when my trial ran out I left the game there - unusable - until i subscribed to PC Game Pass. I subscribed on a different account to the one I trialled on.
I went to run FS again after I subscribed, and I would get an error unless I started in safe mode. If I start in safe mode, I only get to the “ready to fly” screen before I get the same error.

The instruction at 0x00007FF93F30140A referenced memory at 0x0000000000000000 that could not be read.
Click on OK to terminate the program.

Any ideas?

I think you’ve already answered your own question

What do you mean?

interesting is just, that we have seemingly three new reports where users have a MS-Store installation.

Slowly I will be excited whether we see a dedicated report from a Steam user.

1 Like

Microsoft’s security. In their eyes the sim is still linked to your old account, so you may need to reinstall from scratch.

I just had this happen. About the 3rd time since joining the beta. Now on .21 and just happened again in the middle of a flight. I never had this problem until recently. Store version, DX11, W11, no overclocks.
Very strange! I hope they get to the bottom of it.

As someone else noticed earlier in the thread, it may be to do with high server load, as my ground was fuzzy and the tiles were having a problem keeping up, even though I was only flying slow in the PC-12. Previous time I had it in the C414.

1 Like

Okay. Well im reinstalling now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi!
Don’t click OK. Take it to a corner of your screen or, if you have two screens, take it to the second one. With that bug on you can still land your plane.

It’s not when landing, its when moving from the world map into the flight, and it doesn’t give me a choice.

And I think the new update will not solve this issue. You can ser that we get it in Version .21 aswell.

IF it relates to high server load why do some of us not getting this issue?

@Asobo/ MS: Will this error be solved with the SU10 Update that will be released today? What is the rootcause?

This “memory could not be read” issue is hugely frustrating. I thought I’d add my experience in case it helps shed light on what’s going on.
On my laptop I did not once experience this problem. (Key laptop specs Core i7 10750H, RTX2070 Max-Q with 8GB memory, 16GB DDR4, 1TB SSD.) MSFS2020 ran with no issues on a monitor as well as using Quest2 and Reverb G2 headsets.
The problem started when I upgraded to a desktop to exploit more of the potential of the simulator. Key dektop specs are Core i9 12900K, 64GB DDR5, RTX3090 with 24GB memory, 2 SSDs each 1TB.
I noticed the error mesage first on the Reverb G2. Initially it was generally during flight, sometimes moments after takeoff. More recently I have not even got that far and the problem occurs when pressing “Fly” when the cockpit first appears on the screen. I tried the Quest2 once and the problem persisted. It has now appeared on the monitor as well. So, for me my expensive new desktop is unusable. (It was bought simply for flight simulation.)
Two other points might be relevant. MSFS was loaded using the DVD set. I have also experienced crashes to desktop without error messages. When this happened I reloaded the DVDs and the mandatory update but this made no difference.

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

I just installed the SU10 update and the sim crashed 5 minutes after take-off

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

Ryzen 5800X, 32GB RAM, RTX 3060, Windows 10, 2560x1440

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

error

I also got this type of CTD after upgrading to 12900KF and DDR5.