MSFS cockpit HUD modeled yet?

It seems that neither default 787-10 nor DC Designs F-15 has proporly modeled HUD yet. The major problem is that HUD symbology should be projected at infinity, not a fixed gauge like PFD. This makes me worry about whether MSFS 2020 support functional HUD? Dose MSFS has this limitation for proporly modeled HUD?
Waitng for IndiaFoxtEcho to lauch their T45C module next month. I cannot tell whether they achieved to make a functional HUD according to their screenshots.

6 Likes

It looks like IndiaFoxtEcho also failed to make a realistic HUD in upcoming T-45C module:

1 Like

Haha, yep, this is also a pet peeve of mine. The issue here is that MSFS doesn’t “share” POV data. In order to make a proper collimated HUD (focused at infinity) you need to share POV data to the aircraft such that it can display the HUD properly for the player based on their head position (same goes for VR, except in VR the sim needs to share POV data for each eye). Unfortunately until Asobo/Microsoft does that pretty much every addon dev will be forced to put their HUD data ON the glass rather than THROUGH it. I hope that’s on their roadmap, I really do.

3 Likes

I believe some developers and palyers may have already reported this to official develop team. It is an obvious issue.
I will not buy any add-on aircraft with this kind of fake HUD righ now. These modules looks like cheap non-serious toys.

2 Likes

Just want to add my reply here, the new Aerosoft CRJ is literally perfect except its HGS is ruined by the fact that it can’t be properly collimated. I don’t own the T-45C but I read that the Milviz team was “disappointed” by the final HUD anyway, so I suspect it’s not able to be done properly by anyone.

The fact that the 787 is even included considering the state HUDs are in, it’s kind of disappointing to me.

Please fix this Asobo.

4 Likes

My understanding from IndiaFoxtEcho (T-45C) is that proper HUD collimation isn’t a high priority for Asobo. I have emailed it as a bug but gotten no response. Maybe if they understood that nearly EVERY OTHER SIM PLATFORM OUT THERE has proper HUD collimation, they’d make it a higher priority. I fly with a HUD in my real life airline job and find the current HUDs in MSFS to be abysmal. I bought the T-45C for MSFS but have to turn the HUD off. It’s simply too distracting. Most MSFS users have no idea what proper HUD collimation is and therefore don’t see it as a problem. The recent Enhanced 787 HUD update is a start but still fails to focus the data into infinity. There’s also a lot of data missing from the default HUD as well. A Flight Path Vector and ILS data would be a bare minimum NICE addition.

4 Likes

Incidentally, I just went and flew Dino’s T-45C in P3Dv4.4 in VR. The HUD is almost perfectly collimated which, other than P3D yielding a crappy VR experience, is quite satisfying! I then went and flew the T-45C again in MSFS in VR. The HUD truly takes away from the VR experience in MSFS. I hope Asobo is reading these posts. This issue REALLY needs to be fixed!

3 Likes

I completely agree with you. IndiaFoxtEcho mentioned to me in another forum discussion that he believes true collimation isn’t possible in flight simulation and that the HUD in his T-45C, which is available for FSX, P3D and MSFS, only appears to be correctly collimated in FSX and P3D due to a glitch. He also said that collimated HUDs in DCS are there because it was designed in the sim as a feature from the beginning. That begs the question “IF that was a design feature in DCS, why shouldn’t it also be a feature in MSFS given that Asobo chose to include the HUD-equipped 787 as a stock jet?” I’m also very disappointed with the current state of HUDs in MSFS and would really like to see this issue elevated to a more visible status in Asobo’s list of open issues. As I’ve mentioned previously, I believe the majority of MSFS users don’t understand how a HUD is supposed to work and therefore do not see it as a problem. As PMDG is in the process of completely revamping their 737 for MSFS, I believe they will be the ones to “crack the code” (no pun intended) on the HUD issue. My guess is that they won’t accept the current state of HUDs in MSFS and will come up with a solution to the issue, possibly in collaboration with Asobo.

2 Likes

For those who dont know what a collimated HUD is and stumbled upon this thread. Here ya go.

2 Likes

Here’s another example:

(Look at 1:36 and 7:53)

1 Like

Hi my dear friends, I made a vote thread in the wishlist section on this topic, since I didn’t see any. Let’s vote to make better visibility!

5 Likes

I just started playing with this concept using some quick code. This could be used in any plane.

It would only show text-based data. No line drawing or true HUD activities, like real fighter’s have. But, it would allow us to fly any plane while we keep our eyes on the window, outside:

I updated the image from above to reflect, what I feel, is the numbers and data I would like to see on an “any-airplane” HUD.

Any thoughts on this? Would this be a waste of my time? It would be freeware… :slight_smile:

On the right-hand side of this image is where the close window button would reside and an options window for different settings (display width, colors, etc.).

2 Likes

While we’re all talking about HUDs, it would also be great to see the overall animation performance of the HUD graphics improved. Currently it’s soo choppy that it further detracts from the immersion. The AOA ladder movement is horrendously choppy for example. It should be smooth and fluid like DCS, or better, like real life.

In which aircraft is this occurring? I’ve probably spent the majority of my sim time in the past year flying the vanilla F/A-18E and haven’t had this issue with its HUD (though I’m on PC and your profile indicates Xbox, which may potentially make some difference).

Yea, I’m on an Xbox X. It’s a temp step until I drop some serious $$$ into a proper full PC / VR rig. Planning to do that early next year. For now the Xbox X is scratching my itch :slight_smile:

As for which plane, it seems to be better on some, worse on others. F-16, F-18, F-35, F-15, Typhoon, the list goes on. Ive also noticed that the resolution of the typography and symbology could use some improvements as well. It just doesn’t have that look of high resolution light being projected onto glass. It looks more like floating text from a Word document :slight_smile:

I’ve seen lots of youtube videos of the PC version and while it does seems to be more fluid, it’s still not up to par with what Ive seen on DCS. This is where I would like to see MSFS step it up with the overall HUD functionality and rendering.