MSFS Mobile Companion App - Map, NAV, AP and more [New Freeware Released]

It should work as long as it’s the same network. My PC is connected (wired) to a 4 port switch that is connected to a WIFI modem/router. My phone and tablet, of course, use WIFI and I have no connection issues.

Let’s try the following to see what issue you could have:

1. Run the EXE and then type ‘localhost:4000’ (without quotes) into your PC’s browser. See if that works.
  2. Now type the IP address you see when you run the EXE into your PC’s browser. See if that works.
  3. If 2. doesn’t work, run command prompt (cmd.exe), type in ipconfig and hit enter. Try the other IP addresses you see there but don’t forget to add ‘:4000’ at the end.
  4. If it still doesn’t work, then you need to change your network/firewall seetings. Either in Windows, the router or both. My experience tells me that in Windows, your network has to be in ‘Private’ mode and your PC needs to be discoverable. But there are just too many possible variables that can cause your issue if it’s network related.

I got it! I forgot to set my network to “private”. Works great!

1 Like

Hi there OP! First of all, just tried your software last night and it works like a warm breezy night. Truly fantastic stuff!
I was wondering, however, if you had any thoughts on a current issue I’m facing: whereas I am able to successfully run MCA’s browser UI from my OnePlus 6T, I can’t seem to be able to figure out why it is not the case for my old iPad 2 gen (I know, it belongs more in a museum and has no right even turning on after 10 years of use… but here it is and I would like to make it useful one last time before it goes to recycling heaven ^^).
Any thoughts or ideas on why this might be the case? iOS is 9.3.5 and JS is of course enabled, I get also the same behavior on both Chrome and Safari. If you want, I’d also be more than happy to share some screenshots and help out testing/developing if needed (developer here) so feel free to hit me up! No pressure though, this is also just a “would be nice to have” / “I’m also flight-simming in my free time” :slight_smile:
Once more cheers for the fantastic work, and keep it up!

I’m happy to hear you like the MCA. Unfortunately, there seems to be an issue with the app and iPad 2. You’re now the second user that has reported this problem. I have an old budget Media Pad running Android 4.4.4. The preinstalled browser doesn’t work - no map, just the blue unfollow plane button and question marks instead of frequencies. However, the latest version of Chrome works just fine.

My assumption is that some older devices/browsers have an issue with JavaScript. I don’t know why or which line(s) of code but it’s my best guess.

I’d be more than happy if you could have a look at it and maybe find the cause. You can grab the code on GitHub. It could be that the py version will work but the compiled exe. Unlikely, but you never know. I don’t have any iOS device so I don’t know.

You’ll find version 1.1 on GitHub already. I doubt that it’ll have fixed your iPad 2 issues but maybe it has. I’ll be releasing the official exe tomorrow morning CET (if all goes well). I’d be happy to continue this discussion via private message or through the GitHub issues section. Thanks a lot!

Many thanks for this fantastic app.

For me works very well in Android in a Samsung browser, the only problem is that the screen in my mobile device turns off after the time I have set for battery saving (I have max. 30 minutes).

I’m doing something wrong?

Unable to connect via Chrome or Opera because the IP opens a search and not a connection.

Thanks for the feedback!

I’m using “No Screen Off” to disable my screen from turning black. It works great. But there are many other similar apps on the Play store, if you’d prefer something else.

Try typing http:// before the IP address. This should force the browser to open the IP address instead of doing a search.

Btw - I’ve released a new version of MSFS Mobile Companion App. Here is the link to the v1.1 thread.

Many thanks. Using v1.1.
I’ll check No screen off.
The problem with Chrome and Opera was my fault.
Waiting for an old ipad, as soon I have it I’ll report about it.

1 Like

Works great. Was up in running in like two minutes. Any plans on adding Com frequency change? Use that a lot more than nav freq.
Thanks!

Here’s a little teaser:

Will come with several bug fixes and performance improvements. I hope to be able to release it this week.

1 Like

Just I have tested with an old ipad version 9.3.5 (13G36), the app opens but not receives info from the sim.
Would be nice if your app could work in old tablets because is a good second life for them.
Best regards

Sorry to hear about the issue with your iPad. Unfortunately, I don’t have any iOS devices so I can’t debug it myself. Have you tried it with a different browser?

The reason I’m asking about the browser is that I have an old Huawei MediaPad T1 from 2015. It was bad when it was new so you can only imagine how it holds up today. However, MSFS Mobile Companion App works OK. I just have to use the the latest version of Chrome because the default preinstalled browser doesn’t.

Many thanks, this is my first ipad experience and the problem is that neither Chrome, Opera or Edge can be installed because are not compatible with this version of ipad. Finally I could install a Dolphin browser, but no success. Lots of apps are rejected for install, I will investigate if is possible install apps in another way than App store. Best regards

EDIT:
No succes: I have managed to install Chrome and Firefox, the ipad has an option of reinstall apps previously installed to a last compatible version. The app opens but no data transfer.

Hmm… Can you check which version of Safari/Chrome/Firefox you’re running? I’ll do some research and will hopefully be able to solve the issue.

Can you also check what you see when you load up “your.ip.address:4000/ui”? You should see the variables the app is fetching from MSFS like NAV1, COM1, ADF, etc.

Chrome version: 63.03239.73
Firefox: 8.3 (5826)
Safari:

I see in all browsers: Map in blank and Nav, Com, AP and Other but “?” instead figures.

This is great! Exactly what I was looking for, and I can even edit it and create own versions.

In order to compile it using pyinstaller, in addition to the changes in the readme-file, I also had to make the following changes to SimConnect.py:

line 12:

_library_path = os.path.abspath(file).replace(".pyc",".dll").replace(".py", “.dll”)

Otherwise it wouldn’t find the SimConnect.dll. It seems like the “.py” file turns into a “.pyc”-file on compiling and then it won’t find “SimConnect.dllc”.

But changing the line above makes it work in both PyCharm and when Compiling.

I’ve also changed the duplicate inputType on the html-pages by removing Inputtype=Text so that is is easier to enter numbers.

Thank you! I would not been able to create this on my own!

Thanks for the advice. I’ve compiled the EXE by renaming the SimConnect.dll to SimConnect.dllc. This is something that was introduced when I switched the app from single to multi-threaded. I’ve forgotten to update the PYINSTALLER_GUIDE.md. But your solution looks nicer.

And thanks for pointing out that I have both type=“text” and type=“number” in the HTML. I haven’t noticed it because my Lenovo tablet opens the numbers input just fine.

FYI: I’m working on v 1.3. It will have lights and deicing controls. The biggest problem so far is that the deicing controls via SimConnect behave differently with each plane and some don’t work at all. Unfortunately, there isn’t much I can do, except wait for Asobo to improve this.

Oh, and I’ve added a GPS track line:

GPS Track line, nice!
And I see there’s an Instruments tab! I guess I don’t have to make my own version then :slight_smile:

My need is to be able to see the speed in a clear way when landing, especially on landing challenges.

Looking forward to next version!

Sorry to spoil the fun, but the “Instruments” will consist of lights and deicing controls. The naming is a bit misleading and I’ll change it to “Panel”.

I’m not planning on adding Instruments at the moment. The reason is that there is a delay between the sim and the Python SimConnect library. This delay gets worse with the number of variables you read out - this can be up to 2 seconds. One possible way to solve this is to move essential instrument variables (speed, alt, vs, heading) to a separate thread. However, if you don’t need the instruments on secondary device, I’d recommend looking into this project https://flightsim.to/file/3181/fspm-vfr-map and try to modify it to fit your needs.

Just downloaded this app I am having a problem getting it to work on my ipad, if i type in the ip address on my pc browser it works fine but if in typoe it in on my ipad it doesnt connect me to it, i tried on my laptop as well nothing works, I am completely new to this kind of techy stuff so please go easy on me! is there solmething else i need to do with my ipad, like do i need to downlad the app on that as well? or do i need to somewhw make it connectr with my pc? they are both running of the same wifi connection.

Since it works on your PC but not on your other devices, it looks like a network issue. Most cases are resolved by changing your network to private. See this forum for help: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/73866/how-to-change-network-settings-from-public-to-priv.html

If this doesn’t solve the issue, then try opening port 4000 in your firewall.

Let me know if it works.