MSFS Mobile Companion App - [Update 1.1] Improved AP and UI

EDIT 19/12/2020: Check out the thread about the latest version: MSFS Mobile Companion App v1.3 Released - Added FLC, lights, deicing, GPS track line [Freeware]

EDIT 21/11/2020: Check out the thread about version 1.2: MSFS Mobile Companion App v1.2 Update - Added COMs and more [Freeware]

I’m excited to announce that update 1.1 to MSFS Mobile Companion App has been released! Here are is the list of new features/fixes:

• Improved AP functionality. ALT AP can now be used with current or set altitude.
  • Added autothrottle toggle.
  • Added NAV1/NAV2 source switch for AP and/or CDI.
  • Added ADF direct frequency tune option.
  • Improved UI for the NAV tab.
  • The application doesn’t crash when launching before MSFS.
  • Various other minor bug fixes.

Where can I download the app?
You can download the MSFS Mobile Companion App for free on GitHub or flightsim.to

Important notice for new users: Don’t install the app on your mobile device! Download and run it on your PC. This creates a local webserver to which you connect via an IP address. It works on Android, iOS, Windows or Linux. To find out more about this app, visit the GitHub project website.

Enjoy the app and let me know your feedback!

6 Likes

[my mistake]

1 Like

This is for any device! Andorid, iOS, Windows you name it. If you look at the screenshot, you’ll notice it’s been taken on an Android device. I’ve made it more clear in the first post now.

I’ll give it a try, looks great!

Maybe a few ideas:

Make the input fields with another background color. The white is quite shiny in such a dark UI. The brightness needs to be quite high to clearly read the low contrast frequencies (red on black) but that makes the white input boxes too bright in a darker environment.

I’d love a “SYS” page which contains the bat, avionics, lights, starter, etc. switches. At least for the common switches that would be great. Since currently I have to pan the view and disable the yoke on the G36 to access them every time which is annoying.

Maybe there would be an option to embed in the “map” view the webview provided by Little NavMap in an iframe (without the navigation bar etc.), that would make the Map view much more usable providing the route and all the overlays of LNM. Of course only for people using LNM.
I’ll see if I can make a prototype of that since LNM allows a limited way to modify the web view as well :slight_smile:

Thanks for the great input! I’ll have a look at the UI and see that I improve the contrast. You sometimes get blind when developing something som I’m thankfull for tips like that.

I’ll be adding additional buttons/switches/functionalities for sure. The next step is looking at improving the latency between the app and MSFS. There is already a promising draft branch of the original Python SimConnect that should imporve the performance so I’ll have to try it out.

I like your idea with LNM integration. I don’t use LNM so, of course, I haven’t thought about it. If you can make a prototype, then I’d be more than happy to implement it. Feel free to submit anything you have on GitHub.

Thanks!

1 Like

I have encountered problems with the app.
After some time (usually 10-20 min) map stop updating. In CMD windows app shows this message that repeats over and over:
OSError: [WinError -1073741648] Windows Error 0xc00000b0
[2020-11-14 02:15:23,776] ERROR in app: Exception on /ui [GET]
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “flask\app.py”, line 2447, in wsgi_app
File “flask\app.py”, line 1952, in full_dispatch_request
File “flask\app.py”, line 1821, in handle_user_exception
File “flask_compat.py”, line 39, in reraise
File “flask\app.py”, line 1950, in full_dispatch_request
File “flask\app.py”, line 1936, in dispatch_request
File “glass_server.py”, line 430, in output_ui_variables
File “SimConnect\RequestList.py”, line 181, in get
File “SimConnect\RequestList.py”, line 19, in value
File “SimConnect\SimConnect.py”, line 243, in get_data
File “SimConnect\SimConnect.py”, line 204, in request_data
File “_ctypes/callproc.c”, line 948, in GetResult
Can you help with that?

Thanks for info. I’ve encountered this problem when I have multiple browsers/devices that are accessing the app. I’m investigating this and working on a fix.

Did you happen to have multiple browser/devices accessing the app? And what are your FPS when playing MSFS? The issue seems to be performance related - not an excuse, of course.

Nope, i only use it via my ipad, thats all. But, on my PC i have chrome opened (not app, just random pages, google,youtube etc) My FPS was okay i think (35-45 on ultra) And, i do not had this issue in app v1.0 (and previos MSFS version) but i used it only couple of times before update, so im not 100% sure.

Here are some additional errors, witch occur before previos error -
SIMCONNECT_EXCEPTION_UNRECOGNIZED_ID
SIMCONNECT_EXCEPTION_UNRECOGNIZED_ID: in (b’NAV STANDBY FREQUENCY:2’, b’MHz’)
[2020-11-14 18:11:29,290] ERROR in app: Exception on /ui [GET]
File “flask\app.py”, line 2447, in wsgi_app
File “flask\app.py”, line 1952, in full_dispatch_request
File “flask\app.py”, line 1821, in handle_user_exception
File “flask_compat.py”, line 39, in reraise
File “flask\app.py”, line 1950, in full_dispatch_request
File “flask\app.py”, line 1936, in dispatch_request
File “glass_server.py”, line 431, in output_ui_variables
TypeError: ‘>’ not supported between instances of ‘NoneType’ and ‘int’
Exception in thread Thread-1:
File “threading.py”, line 932, in _bootstrap_inner
File “threading.py”, line 870, in run
File “SimConnect\SimConnect.py”, line 173, in _run
File “_ctypes/callproc.c”, line 948, in GetResult

This helps a lot. One user reported having this issue on an iPad but not on Android devices. Unfortunately, I don’t have an iPad so I can’t test it. But I’m working on performance improvements that will hopefully fix the issue.

Thank you, for this wonderful app. Hope it gets fixed soon.