MSFS Pop Out Panel Manager (with Touch Panel Support) [v4.0.3]

That’s good news… wasn’t expecting that.

Jim-Sim

This is a fantastic solution to a frustrating problem! Very much looking forward to seeing how it progresses.

I spent some time this morning trying to set up a new proile for the C172 with the GNS530/430. Like someone earlier, the panels were identified and popped out, but not separated. I tried doing that manually and then position ing the panels, but of course on reloading it only sees a single panel. My screen resolution (physical and in-game) is 3440 x 1440. Could this be the problem? The other thing I wondered is that I am using the Pimarc PMS50-GNS530/430 mod. As far as I can see the default screens are identical to the stock 530 in everything except the number of selectable pages. Would that be enough to confuse the OCR?

I confess I haven’t yet tried the 172 with the G1000 to eliminate (or not) my screen resolution as the cause, nor the stock GNS530 to eliminate (or not) the mod version as the cause. I will try both later today when I get home. Just wanted to flag this as a possible issue.

Again, this is an excellent utility and thank you for your efforts :slight_smile:

Hi BlackArrow1464,

I’ve the same monitor resolution as yours (3440x1440) and have just tested it with only the GNS530/430 mod installed for C172. I am not able to reproduce your issue with version 2.1.1 version of the app regarding the panel not able to separate after they have been popped out. The mod GN530 you’re using should not have any effect on how the app works. But I’ve experienced your issue once before while developing the app and wasn’t able to reproduce it again.

There are couple things to try and confirm:

1. Once the C172 PFD and MFD panels are popped out and temporarily join into the same panel window, you should see this window maximizes to full screen one second later before separation occurs. If for whatever reason, this temporary window does not maximize, the image recognition will fail when the app tries to find the magnifying glass icon to click to separate the panels. There is a video link in my user guide documentation in github repo and you should see how the panels are popped out and maximized initially.

2. Re-download the app or delete all custom user profiles, then close and restart the app and recreate the profile.

3. Restart the sim after step 2 above. That’s how I fixed the problem before (a fluke because of #1 above).

In the meantime, I’ll try to reproduce your issue, figure out the root cause and fix the problem since in software development, when something doesn’t work, 99% of the time it is a bug I didn’t test thoroughly and anticipate :slight_smile:

Please let me know if the above steps work for you.

1 Like

Thanks for the speedy response. I will try that and report back as soon as I get a chance. Cheers!

RoastGnu thanks so much for building this pop out manager. It’s a huge help!

I have read through this thread and another one but I still have a question. Is there any way to start the pop out manager when MSFS starts? I am sharing this sim with my dad who isn’t as good with computers as he is with planes. We have the RealSimGear G1000 panels and I really just want these panels to pop out for him automatically when he starts a new flight.

The G1000 software starts up when MSFS starts and stays on top of the simulator window. Even that would work well so he doesn’t have to remember to start the program and then alt + tab to get it back.

Hi Matt,

Yes, there is a way to do it manually for now by adding a file in the game’s user folder. I will put your request on my to-do list to add an auto start feature in future release.

Here is the instruction to manually add the auto start function:

1. I’ve added a sample file “exe.xml” file in my github repo 2.1.1 release section. Download this file onto your computer.

2. Open the file and update the where msfs popout panel manager is located. Currently, it is on E: drive in my sample file. After update, save the file.

3a. Copy the file to the following location for MS Store version of the game:
C:\Users<YOURUSERNAME>\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache

3b. Copy the file to the following location for Steam version of the game (not 100% sure if below is the path for the file):
C:\Users<YOURUSERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\

is window login account name

1. The pop out manager should automatically starts next time when you launch the game. You can also add other programs to auto start by adding additional <Launch.Addon> entry in exe.xml file.

Stanley

This I MUST try out this evening. I didn’t try DX12 yet due to the reported loss of fps. However, if it’s a minor loss compared to popouts, then I’ll take it…

Will report back with my results.

1 Like

Yeah, that doesn’t work for me.

DX11 -
No popouts - 45 fps
With popouts - 30 fps

DX12
No popouts - 22 fps
with popouts - 8 fps

And the 22 fps with DX12 is so stuttery that it would make sick looking at that for more than a couple of minutes.

I was thinking the rumors were too good to be true.

Jim-Sim

Hi Stanley,

Thanks for the instructions.

I’ve followed them and the popout manager indeed opens up on load. However, now all of my settings have been reset including all of my control mappings which I spent hours on for my Alpha and Bravo throttle controls and keyboard mapping. Do you know any way to get them back?

I suppose just a warning for anyone else.

If you remove exe.xml file, does everything go back to normal? I believe the file only control autostart executable and nothing else. Or was an exe.xml already existed in MSFS user folder with additional launch settings and it was accidentally overwritten when you copied the one I provided over it?

I am currently implementing autostart feature in the app and I was able to create and delete exe.xml and my HOTAS and keyboard binding are not affected. Hmmmmm! Maybe a bug in MSFS.

Probably is a bug, sadly.

I did have an existing exe.xml from my RealSimGear G1000 suite so I added the relevant Launch.Addon node from your example. Could be I corrupted it somehow, but then I doubt that since the addons did load.

I have now managed to get all the mappings reset. Hopefully all good from here.

And I didn’t mean to moan. I’m very glad you’ve made this tool for the community!

I am having problems to get this to work. MSFS runs in full screen but the popout panel manager is not set in front. So anytime I click “start panel selection” the tool disappears as soon as I click in MSFS and does not select anything. I can select stuff out of MSFS but not within. So I am stuck here. Any help is appreciated

Update: I got it working. The tool needs to be started first. Then the simulator.

I have problem after all configuration my display and restart sim i have red line and display make no pop up!?help please!

Hi Zozi67,

The red line means the pop out panel you previously saved was not able to pop out. Please try the following:

1. Make sure the Multipurpose control display unit selection (the number) is lined up and is the same panel you saved previously before you click analyze.

2. Make sure the in-game panel has been turn on (not blank) before you click analyze.

3. If that doesn’t work, please try to redo the profile pop out selection. Just click “start panel selection” again and previously saved settings will be overwritten. After analysis, you can type in XPos, YPos, Width and Height from your screenshot without re-dragging the pop out panel to window position you wanted.

Thx ,I’ll try to do that.

I have a hard time having this app working correctly. When I select the PFD and MFD and hit ANALYZE the dispaly will not split into 2 panels. See image. What am I doing wrong here?

What is your windows OS monitor resolution set to vs in game resolution? Currently, they need to be matched for the separation of panels to work. Also, 4K monitor and non-standard resolution support (for separation of panel) is sketchy for now. I’m in the process of updating the app to allow dynamic display resolution to work.

Thanks for the fast reply. I have a 4K monitor and use the same resolution (3840x2160) in Windows as in MSFS.

Cool. An update of the app that will work with 4K monitor reliably should be out in the next few days.

1 Like