MSFS Pop Out Panel Manager (with Touch Panel Support) [v4.0.3]

Are you limiting your FPS via NVidea Control Panel? If so, don´t. Leave it on global settings. I can use popouts only with DX12 getting around 30 to 50 FPS while only 10 to 12 FPS with DX11. Also try disabling traffic and set weather to clear sky before finding the best graphic settings within the sim.
i9 9900K, RTX 2080Ti, Game mode off, Hyperthreading off

No fps limiting of any kind on my end. My son also has MSFS. Got him to try this as well. His results were similar to mine, although not as severe of a performance hit under DX12 - likely due to his 3070Ti vs my RTX2080 and faster CPU (at the time of testing).

I just upgraded my CPU last night to a Ryzen 5950X. I’ll try this again to see if it makes a difference. I meant to last night, but got side-tracked testing performance of my new CPU in various other games and applications.

Version 2.2 has been released. Below are the new and updated features:

• Disabled ability to launch multiple instances of the application.
  • Added autostart feature when MSFS starts. The application will create or modify exe.xml. A backup copy of exe.xml will be created.
  • Added better support for 4K display resolution and non-standard display resolution.
  • Windows OS display resolution and in-game display resolution no longer have to match.
  • Improved panel pop out separation accuracy and performance.
  • Updated application packaging to single file executable to reduce file clutter.

Thank you all for using the app and providing valuable feedbacks.

3 Likes

Hi,
RoastGnu, thanks for you app:)

I know you are using some kind of image recognition to identify the different displays.

As the existing version does not allow for identifying black displays when the airplane is in Cold and Dark, I wonder if the following could be implemented.

1. Setup displays when displays is not black as now.
  2. Set the display order from left to right by an ini file
  3. Let the Analyze function search for order in ini and set up correct displays, even if they are black.

Hi Voss1917,

I believe your recommendation is doable and definitely make the app more usable. I’ll move this feature up to high priority since a few users had requested this feature in the past to make the flying experience complete.

Off the top of my head to get this feature to work, the sequence the panels pop out will be the sequence the panel profile is stored as you’ve suggested. When a panel is dark at the beginning, the image recognition will fail but the code will bypass it and give the pop out panel window a generic title. Case #1 solved.

The challenge comes when a new custom plane recognition profile is created by the users, when one or more panels are dark, the dynamically recognition data created for each panel will have conflict. I’ve to figure out how to distinguish the two cases. Hmmmm… but I believe I can get around that by separating the pop out sequence and recognition into 2 separate process with their respective data set and also allow manual saving of pop out panel title to make dark panel recognition feature complete. Sorry, babbling here a little bit!

I will try to get this feature out before Christmas as I’m currently working on the other github project MSFS-Touch-Panel as it is close to release state.

Hi again!, I am trying again and I have the same problem, I can’t adjust the displays!?
(No panel has been identified!)

Hi, Thanks for your positive response and your willingness to make your very good app even more useable.

Hi Zozi67,

Looks like the panels are popped out and you’re using a custom profile (I see panels are labeled as Custom). Would you please help check one thing for me? In the pop out manager app folder, please navigate to the folder path below. You should see new set of screen shots saved for this particular user profile for subsequent panel identification.

\Config\AnalysisData\User_-_XXXXXX (where XXXXXX is the custom user profile name

If you don’t see this folder, this probably means you don’t have write access to the app folder and you’ll need it for the app to work. Pop out manager requires screenshot to be saved for subsequent panel identification to occur. If the folder exist, would you please look inside and see if there are image saved and if these images look like the panel you want to identify?

This check will let me know at least the part of the process of saving image assets for image recognition is working and there must be something else causing the problem.

Another thing to try is to delete the custom profile and create a new one. The images folder specified above should also be gone when you delete a custom profile. So this will make sure the app is not using old images for image recognition.

Thanks

hey buddy
i’m using the app now but it seems to not recognise the A320 FBW panels … i’m running a 1080 monitor through nvidia DSS to 4K.
Can this be the reason it doesn’t work ?

Are the panels popping out and/or once the panels are popped out, they are not being recognized by the predefined fbw a32nx profile? If it is the latter, please try to create a new profile, this will take screenshots of your 1080p to 4k upscale image behind the scene. Even though the names of the popout panels will be generic, you can still save their locations.

they are not being recognised ! i did some testing : if you select 2 panels it works more than 2 it cannot recognise the panel. It merge the selected panels into a window

Hi AnasBee116,

Would you be able to try and just run the game in plain vanilla 1080p and see if pop out manager works? I’m not sure how Nvidia uses DLSS for MSFS and how it upscales to 4K for the game. I personally have an AMD video card, unfortunately I won’t able to test and debug the issue.

And it looks like it is panel separation problem again when it worked for you with 2 panels but more than that, the remaining panels didn’t get pop out and then they defaulted to a merged together one, which explained the fail recognition. This problem has been a big trouble in my code, I fixed one case, update to a better algorithm, then another new edge case comes along, heehee!

A little background for the panel separation algorithm below and if someone/software engineer can help out with suggestion. Detecting that tiny “magnifying glass” icon in high resolution is so unreliable since it is only tens of pixel high in a 2160 vertical pixels in a 4K screen. And the image is different size for different resolution. I know I cannot just scan the entire screen for the magnifying glass icon since it will easily get confuse with other icons or even similar image in panels. And the performance will be horrible, it will take many seconds or minutes and even with the code and run in parallel. How my algorithm works is it starts by looking for an entire white menu bar first from around center of the screen from top to bottom (for 1 or 2 rows of panels). If I see one, it means I’ve found the top coordinate of a possible panel. I then use this top coordinate and start scanning for magnifying glass icon from right to left within the height of that menu bar and adjust for screen resolution. You will see that in action since panels always pop out from right to left. This ensures minimal image scanning for fast performance. The scanning bypass all panel contents which can create confusion since as I see a white menu bar, I don’t scan anything below anymore.

Anyway, I think I’ve to go back to the drawing board and figure out a better and more reliable algorithm with the same performance efficiency.

Thanks all for your patience and I know I will eventually get this right!!

hey buddy
First : a big thank you for your help and what your doing for the community !
I tried to understand what’s went wrong. Actually it pops the panels correctly (no matter how many).
If you choose 2 or 3 panels they pop out at the same line so the separation work great.
When it comes to more than 2 or 3, the 4th (5th and 6th) pops out in another line (and became smaller) and that’s where the separation fails because i bet the mark became too smaller (regarding the entire resolution).
My questions :
Is there any chance we could launch it in 2 times : MIP then ECAM
How about the cold and dark cockpit ? i think this is a major for homecockpit builder
Many thanks again

AnasBee116, you’re on the right track. I’m thinking popping out and separating panels one at a time and at most only 2 panels can be on screen at the same time. This way, the magnifying glass icon won’t be so small. Unless someone is playing the game on a super low resolution monitor, the display should be able to pop out 2 panels without separating into 2 rows.

As for popping out panels from cold start, it is currently #1 on my to do list and hopefully I can figure everything out and have this feature in my next release.

G’day there,

First off thanks so much for building this app, it’s so helpful and solves a really frustrating problem.

I’m having trouble getting started though, and after I’ve installed the .net framework and the pop out manager I’ve loaded my aerosoft CRJ 550 and identified four panels.

Once I press analyse the pop-up manager opens at least three of those four packages and then crashes with the error message I’m showing here (ooops, can’t upload images it seems). It’s a .Net error “Unhandled Exception Error has occurred in your application…”

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Many thanks

Warwick

Hi Maarp68,

Unfortunately off the top of my head, .NET crash can be many things. I will need more info to debug the issue. Would you please go to the app’s GitHub repo with the link below and create a new issue there which will allow you to upload images for the crash error messages. It will also be easier for me to personally keep track and provide support for your issue.

Thanks.

Thanks so much, will do straight away.

Cheers

Warwick

hi all
just tested in “2 times” : doesnt work
On the second ‘Analyse’ it pops on the previous container (PFD for my case) and obviously doesnt find the panels

As promised for a new release before Christmas!

Version 3.0 is now available to download in my github repo. The latest version brings the following new features with a rewritten code base.

• Provided 2X pop out and panel separation performance.
  • Better support for all screen resolutions.
  • Added Cold Start feature. Panels can be popped out and recalled even when they’re not turned on.
  • Added Auto Panning feature. Application remembers the cockpit camera angle when you first define the pop out panels. It will automatically move the cockpit view for you when popping out panel. It uses custom camera view keyboard binding (Ctrl-Alt-0).
  • Added fine-grain control in positioning panels down to pixel level.
  • Added Always on Top feature for application.
  • Added real time readout during panel positioning.
  • Added exception logging to help troubleshoot application issue for better user support.
  • Updated UI to be more intuitive and provide better status messages.

IMPORTANT! To support all the new features, previous version of saved user profile will not work with this version. For technical user, a manual transfer of data is possible. My recommendation is to create a new profile since it will give you additional feature. Once you have a profile setup, it is really “One click” from selecting a plane profile to have all the panels line up for you!

Please see README.md for additional information about this version. And for users who do not wish to upgrade, please feel free to use previously version if it works for you.

Once again, I very much appreciated for feedback as I will collect information and provide hotfixes as needed!

P.S. Somehow Google chrome treated the latest zip file as malware. Please select “keep” if you encounter this error.

2 Likes

Hi @RoastGnu . Thanks for this great addition to MSFS22020!
I had some noob issues with the process of popping out the GNSses from the C172. But I have learned from this, so I’ll leave this post here.

• Put the numbers 1 and 2 on top of the instruments.
  • Ctrl + Left click
  • Start Pop Out
    I see that the cockpit moves down (as if I pressed Space to look over the instrument panel). Therefore the number 1 is not aligned anymore with the GNS530.

I get this message
Unable to pop out the first panel. Please align first panel’s number circle and check if the first panel has already been popped out. Also please check for window obstruction. Process stopped.

What am I doing wrong?

EDIT:
I disabled Auto Panning and the process goes further now. I see a window (Panel1 (Custom) with the two GNSses next to each other (the same window I get when I Alt+Click on both GNSses).
Now I get the following message:

Unable to pop out panel number 2. Please align the panel’s number circle and check if the panel has already been popped out. Also please check for window obstruction.

EDIT2:
It seems that the ATC panel and the RealSimGear Device Interface were interfering with the pop out window. Now I am able to reposition the popped out panels to the RSG devices.
I’ll leave this here for others who are having these kind of issues.