MSFS2020 Crashes to Desktop before opening simulator in Windows 11 steam

MSFS2020 Steam is on my C drive the small download and the rest of the game is on my F drive. Have installed Windows 11 and the sim worked but suddenly it crashes to desktop disappearing before it can launch. I Have the Windows 11 on an M2 nvme drive but have my previous W 10 on another M2 drive. On the W10 drive the game functions but on the W11 drive it does not anymore. This happened after trying to install Windows Mixed reality which does not work on W11. The game opened previously and now as said it shuts down to desktop before opening.
Appreciate any help please

Moved to Tech Talk

Sorry do not understand. Could you explain. Has my post been moved? where do I find it? Sorry

All good!

I moved your topic to Tech Talk. The General Discussion category is meant for discussions that fall outside our other sub-categories.

Please check out these other categories for your future posts:

• Aircraft
    is where you discuss current or future planes coming to MSFS as well as assistance with liveries.
  • World
    is where you discuss scenery, airports, and weather.
  • Aviate, Navigate, Communicate
    is where you ask for help with flying.
  • Tech Talk
    is where you discuss installation, graphics, drivers, performance, CTDs, and hardware.
  • Menus & Activities
    is where you discuss activities (landing challenges, bush trips, etc), plus anything accessed by the menus including the Marketplace, settings, logbook, cameras, etc.

:wave: Thank you for using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

NO

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons? If the issue still occurs with no mods and add-ons, please continue to report your issue. If not, please move this post to the Community Support section.

Yes with and without community folder

Brief description of the issue:

Game is on F SSD drive and works when using M2 nvme with Windows 10. When using other M2 mvme with Window 11 it crashes on desktop at about 90% load

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Many issues may be due to an outdated graphics card. Please state your Graphics Card Driver Manufacturer (NVIDIA, Intel, AMD) and Version (Learn how to find your current graphics card driver version):

ALL DRIVERS UP TO DATE

PC specs and peripheral set up:

Windows 11, gpu 3080, CPU i7-13700,

If on PC, Fault Bucket ID - Instructions [here]
(How to find your Fault Bucket ID after a crash [PC]) - Please type in just the Fault Bucket ID # rather than a screenshot for privacy reasons:
1326424845907649988, type 5

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

suddenly started to crash on desktopafter a Windows 11 update that freezed so I had to restart with power button

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Have started new steam install (partial instal see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4wbHxPhGvU - copied saved content of official folder i of steam Library.

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

If on PC, Fault Bucket ID - Instructions here - Please type in just the Fault Bucket ID # rather than a screenshot for privacy reasons:

Attach dxdiag report.

Open and run DxDiag.exe - Microsoft Support

Hi,
Here the DX\xDiaag
DxDiag.txt (95.0 KB)

1 Like

Troubleshooting - Windows Insider Program | Microsoft Learn

FYI - the Insider builds of Windows 11 are not stable.

edit

Try system restore - system restore can undo system changes to fix Windows.

Steam updated recently, and does regular little updates.

I have had issues after updates of different things, and a reinstallation of MSFS has solved them all.

I’m at 2 so far and expect many more to come.

I reinstalled msfs2020 steam with the above mentioned system eg:

But it still crashed to desktop the same way

Sorry to hear that.

I have had luck with it, but many have even gone back to Windows reinstall and still have had issues.

I have also always done the 5 hour long install, so I’m not sure if the quick method is going to work or not for your problem.

It is very frustrating, but keep trying.

Well if you did it in 5 hours that is not so bad. Where I am I need at least 20 hours. (Dominican Republic)
So I see several people have problems. It must be windows 11 issue. I installed 11 because I have a 13th gen cpu that should work better than W10.
But maybe i stick with w10. W11 seems unstable.
Wait to see if others post a miracle solution.

Hi to all who want to help me
Have donwloaded the whole sim again on my F drive labeled MFS2020 (F:) The first part less than 2GB on my C drive and the rest over 100GB to F: MFS2020 as it is on my Installed PackagesPath in UserCfg.opt (C>User>Name>AppData>Roaming>Microsoft Flight Simulator) Have not installed the quick version shown on this thread.
IT CRASHES EXACTLY AT THE SAME 70-80% of game load!
Please see attached Event logs.
Even though the large part of the sim is installed in the F drive none of the crash reports state the F drive only C. Cannot understand. Something with the right PATH is wrong…
Version=1.txt|attachment (18.5 KB)

Event xmlns=httpschemas.microsoft.c.txt (1.9 KB)
Event xmlns=httpschemas.microsoft.c 2.txt (1.5 KB)
I really would appreciate a solution

Have tried several things, so many that I do not recall which one did resolve the Crashes to Desktop. I went trough this:[Walkthrough] Avoiding CTD´s - Community Troubleshooting Guide and have also downloaded Fortect and run it. This did not solve the problem. I think changing in Windows 10 the flight Simulator Cash file and memory and updating some airports in the Content Manager. The event Manager did not help as I do not understand it well enough. Then W11 also started working (edited)