MSFS2020 Graphics Hang when any MS Edge interactions occur

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

Nope.

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

Yes - kinda. This only started occurring today - only mod that was updated today was the WT 430/530 and so I removed that.

Brief description of the issue:

Run simulator, flip to an open MS Edge window. Move anything at all. Edge becomes non-responsive and the Graphics thread in MSFS stops updating. You can still hear things happening, just the video never updates in MSFS. Sometimes hovering mouse over the minimize/maximize/close icons will get a single frame update. Full screen just goes completely no-update and incessant coil whine from my 3080.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

No useful screenshot.

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Launch FS, start a flight or just sit in the menus. Open Edge browser, try to do anything in Edge. Note that Edge goes unresponsive and MSFS stops rendering video.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Non-overclocked ASUS ROG STRIX 3080, Ryzen 9 5950X. MSFS using DX12. Have updated Nvidia drivers since this occurred to the January release, no luck. PC is on a Windows Insider 25276 build.

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OPā€™s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

I face similar problems, since I switched to a 6900xt. Huge framedrops when toggling between Firefox or any other program to the sim and back.
Not sure what it is, because there is no bottleneck during the drop.

Iā€™ve had literally 0 hardware changesā€¦ had a flight early yesterday without any issues and then yesterday evening completely wrecked. I did some software changes (driver updates, marketplace content manager update) after the issue appeared and I was trying to debug.

I had a similar problem. When I switched from the simulator to other apps, I had the effect that the simulator was frozen. You could still hear sound but no input was possible and the image was frozen. I researched for a long time what could be the cause of this and finally found out that my setting for the VSync was the culprit. I had set VSync to ā€šFastā€˜ the day before and forgot it. Eventually I found out that this does not get along with my system and the simulator somehow. After I set VSync back to ā€šOnā€˜ in the Nvidia Control Panel, everything ran again as before with no problems.
Maybe this helps someoneā€¦

I am experiencing random system freeze when using MSFS also. I recently turned off HAGS and that seemed to help a bit but I still get occasional momentary freezes, sometimes lasting several seconds. I have a high end system.

I tried vsync off in the sim but left vsync as ā€œprogram can specifyā€ in the nvidia control panelā€¦ still no change, I can do FS but canā€™t do anything else on the system or FS graphics deadlocks ā€“ and in all cases, Edge completely goes unresponsive.

Restore NCP global and program settings (msfs profile) - save and restart pc.

I had the same issueā€¦ Your post did help me! Tks a lot!

1 Like